Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

Californian Elitist

Yes, that was another tradition down the drain. TWDC showing little respect for local company culture. Sad. I would've been livid as a DL employee.

However, this time it seems to be Starbucks who decided to end the refills in their licensed store. Although of course Disney should've prevented this in the contract with Starbucks. One would begin to think TWDC is fine with the end to Walt's tradtion of cheap coffee...

Here's a DL fan, arguing for the importance of detail and tradition, and decrying Starbucks taking the Walt out of Disney.
http://www.crescentavalleyweekly.com/leisure/04/04/2013/changes-in-the-park-what-would-walt-say/

That's the typical DL fan for you. Won't let anything go without speaking their mind and a fight. Sucks.:/

Who knows, maybe things will change. Fans made a fuss about swing dancing and now it's coming back this summer.

The Empress Lilly

That's the typical DL fan for you. Won't let anything go without speaking their mind and a fight. Sucks.:/
And what I wouldn't give for that attitude to take hold in the WDW fan community! I truly believe the DL turnaround of 2003/4ish was owing to its rabid fans.
ok1.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if someone, somewhere, took note of Articos' observation of those two new planks with mismatching white paint in the Bakery porch ceiling, and will order a paint job. If not immediately, then at least during the next sprucing up of the place.

RonAnnArbor

Not for nothing, there are a LOT of things Walt said that have long long ago ended, or weren't even put into place. The free coffee refills are impractical anywhere -- the cost of coffee between 1957 and 2013 has risen so high it isn't practical. And Starbucks sure as heck doesn't care about Disney tradition.
That being said -- I predict that an hour before re-opening after refurbished, the Starbucks at the Main Street Bakery will have the longest QS line in the park all day, and it will stay that way all day. ANd nobody is going to care or worry about free coffee refills because they don't get them at their home starbucks either, unless they have sufficient reward points on their Starbucks cards.
I am VERY in favor of the Starbucks upgrade throughout WDW...it will become a regular stop in a strip of MK that I have bypassed for decades...

Californian Elitist

And what I wouldn't give for that attitude to take hold in the WDW fan community! I truly believe the DL turnaround of 2003/4ish was owing to its rabid fans.
ok1.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if someone, somewhere, took note of Articos' observation of those two new planks with mismatching white paint in the Bakery porch ceiling, and will order a paint job.

I actually see a lot of the DL spirit in a lot of people, here. You, 74, Lee, Parentsof4, articos and others. I think the problem is the audience. I keep hearing the majority of people that visit WDW are first-timers, who are usually always happy with their visit. I don't think Orlando cares that much about their loyal fans, unfortunately. That's pretty sad.

Hopefully a paint job will happen!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I actually see a lot of the DL spirit in a lot of people, here. You, 74, Lee, Parentsof4, articos and others. I think the problem is the audience. I keep hearing the majority of people that visit WDW are first-timers, who are usually always happy with their visit. I don't think Orlando cares that much about their loyal fans, unfortunately. That's pretty sad.

Hopefully a paint job will happen!
You hit the nail on the head. DLR has a very material locals crowd mixed in. Their needs are met since they are a significant percentage of the ticket sales. WDW has a very small locals crowd as a percentage of total vacationers. I don't think Orlando ignores their locals crowd completely, but they have bigger demographics to worry about too. At WDW a local is likely to have an AP, eat at home or off property, park for free either with their pass or by sneaking into the Poly (you know you do it ;)). The tourist family stays on property, eats meals on property and buys gobs of souvenirs on property and buys park tickets. They follow the money and cater to the tourists.

The tourist crowd is also less demanding. To borrow a phrase from our Spirited advisor they are rubes who have no issue paying ridiculous prices for food, shirts, rooms or whatever to be a part of the magic. It's not the tourist's fault. They are just having fun on a vacation. It's not their primary concern that WDW is declining by degrees or maintenance is suffering or other issues. They are fixated on the amazing and "magical" things that we as regulars sometimes take for granted. They don't notice the scratches on the elevator doors or the burned out lightbulb because there are literally a million things to take in and they have censory overload.

Californian Elitist

You hit the nail on the head. DLR has a very material locals crowd mixed in. Their needs are met since they are a significant percentage of the ticket sales. WDW has a very small locals crowd as a percentage of total vacationers. I don't think Orlando ignores their locals crowd completely, but they have bigger demographics to worry about too. At WDW a local is likely to have an AP, eat at home or off property, park for free either with their pass or by sneaking into the Poly (you know you do it ;)). The tourist family stays on property, eats meals on property and buys gobs of souvenirs on property and buys park tickets. They follow the money and cater to the tourists.

The tourist crowd is also less demanding. To borrow a phrase from our Spirited advisor they are rubes who have no issue paying ridiculous prices for food, shirts, rooms or whatever to be a part of the magic. It's not the tourist's fault. They are just having fun on a vacation. It's not their primary concern that WDW is declining by degrees or maintenance is suffering or other issues. They are fixated on the amazing and "magical" things that we as regulars sometimes take for granted. They don't notice the scratches on the elevator doors or the burned out lightbulb because there are literally a million things to take in and they have censory overload.

Imagine if the majority of WDW's visitors were hardcore, repeated fans. I bet things would be so different. For one, you guys would get some discounts! The annual passholder benefits differences amaze me.

n2hifi

I predict that an hour before re-opening after refurbished, the Starbucks at the Main Street Bakery will have the longest QS line in the park all day

Herein lies the problem. Although I don't like the new lights/signs, etc. The fact that the best place to get a 'quick' breakfast will now be harder to get to/longer wait leaves a bad taste for me. There really isn't a good solution except maybe a Starbucks only line or area which who knows they may be incorporating. It is convenient to get your coffee and cinnamon roll in one place but the added traffic of the coffee only crowd could prove problematic.

COProgressFan

Herein lies the problem. Although I don't like the new lights/signs, etc. The fact that the best place to get a 'quick' breakfast will now be harder to get to/longer wait leaves a bad taste for me. There really isn't a good solution except maybe a Starbucks only line or area which who knows they may be incorporating. It is convenient to get your coffee and cinnamon roll in one place but the added traffic of the coffee only crowd could prove problematic.

I think you are touching on an important point here regarding breakfast at the MK. The bakery is already a madhouse during the morning (and it picks up again around parade time). Adding Starbucks will only make it busier. There are essentially no other options for a quick serve breakfast. A few years back, looking for something to eat one morning, a manager told me the only options were Crystal Palace, Cindy's Castle (both sit down and requiring reservations) or the bakery. When I told him the bakery had a line out the door, he said I could also get muffins and coffee at the Lunching Pad (I was in Tomorrowland). When I walked over there were 5 or 6 muffins stuffed into the pretzel case. Not appealing at all. I think there might be a few additional options now at Sleepy Hollow.

Point being, there needs to be another quick serve breakfast option at the MK. Bakery simply can't handle the crowds before, let alone with Starbucks too. (Off topic, remember when Tony's was open for breakfast? Ahh, the memories of sitting at a table outside in Town Square in the morning with the hustle and bustle of everyone entering the park.)

I also think there should be a "coffee only" line. The problem with Starbucks at DCA (from what I've been told, haven't been there since Starbucks opened) is that folks who just want a coffee to go are in the same line as folks getting big orders of food/coffee/breakfast etc. for their families.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think you are touching on an important point here regarding breakfast at the MK. The bakery is already a madhouse during the morning (and it picks up again around parade time). Adding Starbucks will only make it busier. There are essentially no other options for a quick serve breakfast. A few years back, looking for something to eat one morning, a manager told me the only options were Crystal Palace, Cindy's Castle (both sit down and requiring reservations) or the bakery. When I told him the bakery had a line out the door, he said I could also get muffins and coffee at the Lunching Pad (I was in Tomorrowland). When I walked over there were 5 or 6 muffins stuffed into the pretzel case. Not appealing at all. I think there might be a few additional options now at Sleepy Hollow.

Point being, there needs to be another quick serve breakfast option at the MK. Bakery simply can't handle the crowds before, let alone with Starbucks too. (Off topic, remember when Tony's was open for breakfast? Ahh, the memories of sitting at a table outside in Town Square in the morning with the hustle and bustle of everyone entering the park.)

I also think there should be a "coffee only" line. The problem with Starbucks at DCA (from what I've been told, haven't been there since Starbucks opened) is that folks who just want a coffee to go are in the same line as folks getting big orders of food/coffee/breakfast etc. for their families.

Sleepy Hollow has waffles, and other types of waffles, and other waffles.

The Starbucks addition is really going to cause a major headache for those looking for breakfast in the MK.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some locals would disagree. I carry no grudge about it! We aren't where they make their WDW money! They don't need us! But they do seem to ignore us (which, again, is okay. :))

...Well they still have a FL resident AP rate...but they jacked up the kids price to adult level last year. Maybe you are right:)

luv

...Well they still have a FL resident AP rate...but they jacked up the kids price to adult level last year. Maybe you are right:)
That's absolutely true. They do give us a discount on the APs.

I was wrong. We are not ignored. Thank you, Disney!

Now, if we could get jet packs so we could get to the MK a little quicker without parking at the GF. (Kidding! I park at the TTC!!! I swear!)

Valet parking, like Uni has, would be nice, too. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom