Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

The Empress Lilly

I don't see any signs on the doors. If it's that last picture you are referring too, those are windows. :)
Above the door.

The vandals stripped the MSB of it's period lamp, and of it's period door lites.
tr36.gif

The lamp:

images

DL_MSBAKE_240.jpg

A gorgeous period-specific hanging lamp, a real theme maker. In the new situation in the pic below, there are two standard, modern lamps, unceremoniously attached directly to the ceiling. The new lamps try to hide themselves, serve only to illuminate the brass sign of doom, instead of proudly showing themselves and serving to add to the theme and placemaking.
Note that in the distance in the below pic, they have retained the lovely period hanging lamp.

If you have an eye for this sort of stuff, an appreciation of detail, and a respect for the artists who created Main Street, then this sort of transgression is just painful to see.

Main-Street-Bakery_Full_18718.jpg;width=638

The doorway.
The period-specific door lites (the area above the door) were replaced by a big modern one-piece glass so it could accomodate the replaced Bakery sign, which was replaced so that the windows would be empty except for the new Starbucks signs.

Vandals and barbarians. Main Street is a work of art, the details are what sets the place apart from a generic themed shopping mall. :(

Before:
Bakery+ent.JPG

After:
962060_711411903848_1812683651_n.jpg

articos

Above the door.

The vandals stripped the MSB of it's period lamp, and of it's period door lites.
tr36.gif

The lamp:

images

DL_MSBAKE_240.jpg

A gorgeous period-specific hanging lamp, a real theme maker. In the new situation in the pic below, there are two standard, modern lamps, unceremoniously attached directly to the ceiling. They try to hide themselves and serve to illuminate the brass sign of doom, instead of proudly showing itself and serving to add to theme and placemaking.
Note that in the distance, they have retained the lovely period hanging lamp.

If you have an eye for this sort of stuff, an appreciation of detail, and a respect for the artists who created Main Street, then this sort of transgressions is just painful to see.

Main-Street-Bakery_Full_18718.jpg;width=638

The doorway.
The period door lites (the area above the door) were replaced by a big modern one-piece glass so it could accomodate the replaced Bakery sign, so that the windows would be empty except for the new Starbucks sign.

Vandals and barbarians. Main Street is a work of art, the details are what sets the place apart from a generic themed shopping mall. :(

Bakery+ent.JPG

Main-Street-Bakery_Full_18719.jpg;width=638
I don't get the sense that this was a top priority WDI job - it may have been outsourced, or they may have let shops do their thing based on guidelines. The sign itself, although not bad, isn't exactly period-exact, nor is it anything of note - more a basic "just get it done" sign that blends in. And I can't be sure, but it looks like the siding strip down the center is a lighter color, meaning they simply pulled the old light, and the one piece of wood/vinyl that had a hole in it, and replaced only that without color-matching. That's not the way the old-school guys would have done it either. The color would have matched, or they would have repainted and re-aged the whole ceiling. As I've noted before, this is lazy work.

The Empress Lilly

If we start accepting slippery slope arguments, isn't that in itself a slippery slope?
If a bear orders a $6.79 frappucino mocca but no bearista hears him, did he then place an actual order?

On a less philosophical note, I prefer the term 'decline by degrees'. ;) A fantastic term. We get derided for being obsessive at every single lost detail we point out. After which the same people happily join the chorus that Disney has lost its magic and that they're going to UNI and DL instead.

Nmoody1

It's funny how a coca cola sign is fine across the street at Caseys.... Or a Kodak sign was at the photo place (obviously gone now). I don't suppose turn of the century America had moving disney characters in emporium windows! I personally am outraged they don't have old fashioned cash registers, or that chase can advertise on an ATM.... On Main Street!

articos

It's funny how a coca cola sign is fine across the street at Caseys.... Or a Kodak sign was at the photo place (obviously gone now). I don't suppose turn of the century America had moving disney characters in emporium windows! I personally am outraged they don't have old fashioned cash registers, or that chase can advertise on an ATM.... On Main Street!
At one point, they did have old fashioned cash registers, no moving Disney Characters in the windows, the Kodak sign was period themed, as was the Coke signage, and there was no ATM. In the 1970s. :)

The Empress Lilly

And it just goes from bad to worse...

Remember that Walt quote? 'There will always be a $.10 coffee in Disneyland'?
Well, it finally happened. That tradition has been ended. Ever since 1955, you would get a free coffee refill in the Main Street Market House, for the entire day. No longer. With shocking disregard for Walt's tradition, and for the working man trying to afford a day at Disney for his kids, $tarbucks has ended Walt's tradition. After six decades.

Disneyland to stop serving free coffee refills

The new Starbucks on Main Street, U.S.A. will not offer the perk.
http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/disney-502117-disneyland-coffee.html

For those who still think that this is merely Disney going to serve Starbucks coffee instead of this being a licensed Starbucks store in Disney, Starbucks makes clear this is not the case. It is Starbucks which explains this new policy in its licensed store on Main Street:
My name is Monica and I'm from Starbucks Customer Service.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

I believe the Disneyland stores would honor the refills. Most of the stores that will not honor it would be licensed stores. To let you know, after purchasing any regular priced beverage you may purchase a brewed hot or iced coffee or tea at the reduced refill price, during the same store visit. That last bit is the important part, once you leave the store, your visit has ended and any subsequent coffee or tea refill thereafter would be considered a new purchase.

Please note that those who are in the Green or Gold level of our My Starbucks Rewards™ program can receive unlimited free brewed hot or iced coffee or tea refills, regardless of the original beverage purchased, during the same store visit.

Please note the original purchase must be made with the registered card. The card must also be presented at the store POS in order to redeem the refill.

This is our way of thanking customers for using the Starbucks Card.

Thanks again for writing us. If you ever have any questions or concerns in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

We would love to hear your feedback. Click here to take a short survey.

Sincerely,
Monica S
customer service
DL fans protest here: https://www.facebook.com/SaveCoffeeRefillsMarketHouse

The Empress Lilly

At one point, they did have old fashioned cash registers, no moving Disney Characters in the windows, the Kodak sign was period themed, as was the Coke signage, and there was no ATM. In the 1970s. :)
And the Bake Shop would have bakers in period costumes decorating cakes in the shop's window. And serve coffee from their own freshly ground coffee beans. An actual turn of the century bakery and market house!

The choice is not - however deceptively it may seem to be the case - between Starbucks and Nescafé coffee syrup. That is the modern bakery. No, the real choice is between a common Starbucks and a fully themed, immersive turn of the century bakery which serves freshly ground coffee and which furthers the Main Street 'story'.

msbkry.jpg

iheartdisney91

As a fan of both, Disney and Starbucks i'm all for it!
plus the bakery will still sell their traditional "disney" treats, so it's really not that big a deal.
They are just going to sell Starbucks too. (if i'm reading this all correctly)

Californian Elitist

And it just goes from bad to worse...

Remember that Walt quote? 'There will always be a $.10 coffee in Disneyland'?
Well, it finally happened. That tradition has been ended. Ever since 1955, you would get a free coffee refill in the Main Street Market House, for the entire day. No longer. With shocking disregard for Walt's tradition, and for the working man trying to afford a day at Disney for his kids, $tarbucks has ended Walt's tradition. After six decades.

For those who still think that this is merely Disney going to serve Starbucks coffee instead of this being a licensed Starbucks store in Disney, Starbucks makes clear this is not the case. It is Starbucks which explains this new policy in its licensed store on Main Street:
DL fans protest here: https://www.facebook.com/SaveCoffeeRefillsMarketHouse

While I agree it sucks that there will no longer be free refills, Disney likes to end their own traditions, recently Orlando deciding Disneyland should end a 57 year tradition and stop the CM parties.

jensenrick

As a fan of both, Disney and Starbucks i'm all for it!
plus the bakery will still sell their traditional "disney" treats, so it's really not that big a deal.
They are just going to sell Starbucks too. (if i'm reading this all correctly)

I know, right! I can't wait to order my first frappachino on Main St. Hopefully the line won't be too, too long. Not that it will matter to my Mom, she will wait in any line for her Starbucks latte. Nice to hear we'll be getting free refills too, since she is gold level.

The Empress Lilly

While I agree it sucks that there will no longer be free refills, Disney likes to end their own traditions, recently Orlando deciding Disneyland should end a 57 year tradition and stop the CM parties.
Yes, that was another tradition down the drain. TWDC showing little respect for local company culture. Sad. I would've been livid as a DL employee.

However, this time it seems to be Starbucks who decided to end the refills in their licensed store. Although of course Disney should've prevented this in the contract with Starbucks. One would begin to think TWDC is fine with the end to Walt's tradtion of cheap coffee...

Here's a DL fan, arguing for the importance of detail and tradition, and decrying Starbucks taking the Walt out of Disney.
By Charly SHELTON
I have a friend at Disneyland. He is a fellow pin trader and I have known him through that shared hobby for several years. He is a very nice guy and one heck of a trader but, if given the chance, he will talk till your ear falls off. For years he has been saying that the changes in the way the Disney company operates will add up. Small things like a change in signage. A different fabric used for merchandising products. A prescribed limit on certain eateries and controlling portion sizes. Small things that, individually, are nearly meaningless. But when taken as a whole, they add up to a change in the face of Disney. Not one, necessarily, for the better. As my pin trader friend put it, “They are taking the Walt out of Disney.”

A stark example: Disneyland is ending a 58-year tradition of offering coffee refills and instead is bringing another Starbucks into the park (one already exists in California Adventure). The company stated that it would be adding six Starbucks locations in the Florida and Anaheim theme parks. Market House, the coffee shop on Main Street, USA, will be closed April 14 to begin expansion and renovations to become one of those six locations. This will end the tradition established when the park opened in 1955 that any park guest who buys a cup of coffee at Market House can save their receipt and return any time during the day for free refills.

It may seem small. It may seem trivial. But a tradition that started when Walt Disney opened the park and has continued until now is being killed because the marketing geniuses at Disney creative thought it necessary for guests to have a $7 caramel Frappuccino®.

Honestly, it’s not about the coffee. Starbucks coffee is great, and I love the Starbucks they installed over in the new Fiddler, Fifer and Practical café in Disney California Adventure. But it didn’t rip out a time honored and beloved tradition. It’s like you love looking at a sleek Lamborghini, but not if it just ran over your grandmother, in a wheelchair, carrying a basket of kittens. You would be mad at the shiny Lamborghini and every time you saw that car, you would be reminded of what it destroyed, despite how cool it looks.

Going in to get a free refill cup of coffee just made the land theming better, too. It’s the old town charm and hospitality of the friendly employee who now knows you because you were in earlier, getting you a nice, free cup of coffee and the guest not having to fish out another $2.79. It goes along with the 1901 theme of the town, and the glad times that are had there. Having a Starbucks will harken back to the long ago days of the 1990s, when boy bands roamed the Earth and cellphones were the size of Gameboys.

Small things are being changed, too. Perhaps as a former Disney employee and a lifelong Disney enthusiast and expert, I’m more sensitive – but perhaps not.

For example, changing the sign that reads “Main Str. Cinema” to “Main St. Cinema.” It’s the attention to detail, like using the antiquated abbreviation, which makes all the difference. That sign was something Walt was specific about; the design for it was on display at a Disney archives exhibit in 2011. Walt’s handwriting could be seen instructing the change to “Str.” After it was recently changed, my pin trader friend got up in arms about it, saying it was a sign of the downfall of the park. It was changing things. While many thought he was being dramatic, he makes sense now. It hasn’t completely happened yet, but these small changes are adding up. Just think – what would Walt say if he saw what was happening now?

The magic Disney touch is leaving the company. They make a great game series with Mickey that is both creative and fun, so Disney shuts down production on a third game. A guest wants a few onions with their sauce and is given two. Ticket prices have skyrocketed and the annual pass prices have almost doubled in the last five years. This is not what we, the mouse ear wearing Disney nuts, want to see happening to our favorite place. It’s not just a park or a company or a mouse – for many, it’s a way of life.

There is an online campaign at Facebook, headed by passionate Disney fans that don’t want to see Walt’s dream die, to save the refills. It is becoming a symbol of all the changes that are happening and the desire for them to stop. Hopefully the company will listen to what the fans have to say. Maybe we’ll get a free refill of a cup of Starbucks coffee. But if not, a lot of people may be upset. And offended. And just plain hurt that the company that is so well loved would do this.

Bring Walt back to Disney. Visit the movement on Facebook and make your voice heard. Let his dream survive, a dream for all who come to this happy place to feel welcome (to paraphrase).
Disneyland is the people’s land, where fond memories of the past can be relived and youth can savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland represents a place dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America.

Walt’s dream is simple: let Disneyland be “a source of joy and inspiration for all the world.”
http://www.crescentavalleyweekly.com/leisure/04/04/2013/changes-in-the-park-what-would-walt-say/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom