MagicBands....Will you wear one?

Will you wear a MagicBand?

• Yes

Votes: 165 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 32.1%

• Total voters

disneysince71

So are you suggesting that Disney has no interest whatsoever in what I do once I leave WDW? That they have no interest whatsoever in what I do while in Orlando? Really?
I totally agree with you... They want to know how many people are leaving there parks.. Where you are eating... How long you spend at parks, pools, ext..?. Do you go shopping? All info they can later.

MissM

I'm just curious and you don't have to answer, but why?
That's not a simple answer.

In general, I hate wearing bracelets and would find it uncomfortable. Anything tight on my wrist is not an option ever (not even my watch which has to be loose enough to slide around completely on my wrist) and even if it were loose, it would be highly annoying to me.

Additionally, it would not benefit me at all. I am a local; I am not using a Keys to the World card. I am driving out there so I am carrying my wallet no matter what for my driver's license, credit and debit cards, AAA card, etc. (I often use more than one card while I'm out, for example, I might put all our food on the bank card but use my PayPal debit Mastercard if I find a souvenir I want. It's not like it's all going on one card even if that were an option anyway.) A paper ticket fits easily with my little slim card holder easily. It's ZERO difficulty to "keep up with it" or take it out when I need it. (I have a little pocket in my camera bag I put it. And if I want to travel light, it fits in either my small wristlet style bag or pocket.) I can also easily hold both Love's ticket and my own together (again, with my cards and DL too) in one place.

In comparison, a bracelet shoved in my pocket (it would not fit in my slim wallet) would be bulky and take up much more space than a piece of paper. Not to mention make me carry an additional item I don't need to currently. Love doesn't wear bracelets either (he won't even wear his watch at Disney because he hates having something on when it's hot and sweaty) so now I'm carrying TWO bulky bracelets which still don't offer me anything a paper ticket can't.

And again, as a local, I am not scheduling dining 6 months in advance, or FastPasses months before my trip. I'm not booking Photopass. And I don't have a hotel room key to worry about. I'm going out on a whim, typically no more than a few days to a week advance notice. Jury's still out how much AP's and locals will get to take advantage of FP+ but again, a bracelet is still not offering me anything a paper ticket doesn't already do perfectly well.

In less general, I am uncomfortable with the idea of being tagged like some criminal and told it's for my own benefit. Sure, everyone can speculate all they want about what Disney will or will not do with the data, or collection points, or how they'll handle individual identifiers versus broad-range statistics, but it's just that: speculation. No one here truly knows for sure. And, just because something is perhaps not done now, does not mean it won't be in the future.

People love to mock those who have legitimate concerns over the level of privacy invasion RFID potentially offers companies. They call us names and belittle our concerns as "conspiracy theory." When these same people would not bat an eye at taking other privacy measures such as using software on their browsers to block ads, stop cookies and other techniques to track and profile users. Heck, you're considered smart for having safe browser and privacy habits online! Somehow that kind of privacy concern is "normal" but expressing concern over having no concrete information or policy in writing from Disney on what information they will collect via RFID or how it will be used, makes you a "nut job." :rolleyes:

Even if I wind up needing to swap out my paper ticket for a paper RFID enabled ticket, I can chose to use a shielded wallet for example as my way of "opting out" of aspects I find potentially distasteful. Shoving two bracelets into a shielded wallet is a harder prospect. I have no interest in an attraction calling me by name. I don't need to get a text message alerting me to a discount because I stopped in a store. Will Disney do this sort of thing? No one knows for sure. But the fact is, the RFID-enabled bracelets will allow them this kind of info and it's more than I want to participate in their data mining.

So a paper ticket offers me more personally than a bracelet would. It offers me the convenience I currently enjoy in carrying/using and the equivalent of surfing with "tracking cookie manager" app. If the bracelet becomes the rule and not an option, I will take my money and business elsewhere. It's always how consumers always "vote" for or against a product, service or company.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
That's not a simple answer.

In general, I hate wearing bracelets and would find it uncomfortable. Anything tight on my wrist is not an option ever (not even my watch which has to be loose enough to slide around completely on my wrist) and even if it were loose, it would be highly annoying to me.

Additionally, it would not benefit me at all. I am a local; I am not using a Keys to the World card. I am driving out there so I am carrying my wallet no matter what for my driver's license, credit and debit cards, AAA card, etc. (I often use more than one card while I'm out, for example, I might put all our food on the bank card but use my PayPal debit Mastercard if I find a souvenir I want. It's not like it's all going on one card even if that were an option anyway.) A paper ticket fits easily with my little slim card holder easily. It's ZERO difficulty to "keep up with it" or take it out when I need it. (I have a little pocket in my camera bag I put it. And if I want to travel light, it fits in either my small wristlet style bag or pocket.) I can also easily hold both Love's ticket and my own together (again, with my cards and DL too) in one place.

In comparison, a bracelet shoved in my pocket (it would not fit in my slim wallet) would be bulky and take up much more space than a piece of paper. Not to mention make me carry an additional item I don't need to currently. Love doesn't wear bracelets either (he won't even wear his watch at Disney because he hates having something on when it's hot and sweaty) so now I'm carrying TWO bulky bracelets which still don't offer me anything a paper ticket can't.

And again, as a local, I am not scheduling dining 6 months in advance, or FastPasses months before my trip. I'm not booking Photopass. And I don't have a hotel room key to worry about. I'm going out on a whim, typically no more than a few days to a week advance notice. Jury's still out how much AP's and locals will get to take advantage of FP+ but again, a bracelet is still not offering me anything a paper ticket doesn't already do perfectly well.

In less general, I am uncomfortable with the idea of being tagged like some criminal and told it's for my own benefit. Sure, everyone can speculate all they want about what Disney will or will not do with the data, or collection points, or how they'll handle individual identifiers versus broad-range statistics, but it's just that: speculation. No one here truly knows for sure. And, just because something is perhaps not done now, does not mean it won't be in the future.

People love to mock those who have legitimate concerns over the level of privacy invasion RFID potentially offers companies. They call us names and belittle our concerns as "conspiracy theory." When these same people would not bat an eye at taking other privacy measures such as using software on their browsers to block ads, stop cookies and other techniques to track and profile users. Heck, you're considered smart for having safe browser and privacy habits online! Somehow that kind of privacy concern is "normal" but expressing concern over having no concrete information or policy in writing from Disney on what information they will collect via RFID or how it will be used, makes you a "nut job." :rolleyes:

Even if I wind up needing to swap out my paper ticket for a paper RFID enabled ticket, I can chose to use a shielded wallet for example as my way of "opting out" of aspects I find potentially distasteful. Shoving two bracelets into a shielded wallet is a harder prospect. I have no interest in an attraction calling me by name. I don't need to get a text message alerting me to a discount because I stopped in a store. Will Disney do this sort of thing? No one knows for sure. But the fact is, the RFID-enabled bracelets will allow them this kind of info and it's more than I want to participate in their data mining.

So a paper ticket offers me more personally than a bracelet would. It offers me the convenience I currently enjoy in carrying/using and the equivalent of surfing with "tracking cookie manager" app. If the bracelet becomes the rule and not an option, I will take my money and business elsewhere. It's always how consumers always "vote" for or against a product, service or company.

Thanks for answering. Very well thought out and explained. I would recommend just putting the bracelet on a belt loop or something, but that wouldn't address your privacy concerns. I do think that a flat ticket of some kind (paper or plastic) sounds like it will remain available. However, if that isn't the case and WDW does lose your business, I would make sure that they KNEW the precise reason. It couldn't hurt and would clarify your "vote".

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Yeah me and the fam will be all over these. #1 reason? We have this ritual when entering the park. We all go through...my wife usually last because she messes up the finger print \ card process..
then we all have to wait and hand her all our KTTW cards which she has to stow away in a compartment of her purse....all so the rest of us dopes don't lose them (and she's right).
Anyway ---- when it comes to WDW I'm as impatient as f***.

If this gets me in the gates faster I'm in!

Dan Gamblin

Jeez this hype and speculation is getting ridiculous!

It is an OPT-IN thing and it is purely linked to the My Disney Experience App and website for fastpass+, KTTW (If you want it or staying on property) - it is only really gonna be for people who want to use it. Shut up and give it a rest! Nobody knows ANY truth behind it apart from the imagineers who are installing it. At the end of the day if it comes in full time you are going to have to get used to it. End of story. Instead of everyone poo-pooing all over the idea before it has been implemented, embrace it, you never know it may enhance the visit for you and if it doesn't, when you are there you go to guest relations and make your feelings known - don't on forum sites!

They're not going to be used for tracking you! Theyre trying to make things paperless and less time consuming - They want their guests to make full use of there days!

Sans Souci

It is an OPT-IN thing and it is purely linked to the My Disney Experience App and website for fastpass+, KTTW (If you want it or staying on property) - it is only really gonna be for people who want to use it. Shut up and give it a rest! Nobody knows ANY truth behind it apart from the imagineers who are installing it. At the end of the day if it comes in full time you are going to have to get used to it. End of story. Instead of everyone poo-pooing all over the idea before it has been implemented, embrace it, you never know it may enhance the visit for you and if it doesn't, when you are there you go to guest relations and make your feelings known - don't on forum sites!

They're not going to be used for tracking you! Theyre trying to make things paperless and less time consuming - They want their guests to make full use of there days!

You need to chill. People are allowed to speculate about these things; it's a discussion board.

Seriously, find a Xanax.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster

Useless post. Honestly.

First off, this thread is to discuss if "guests" will wear the MagicBand. Not to discuss the merits of NextGen.

Secondly, so much of what you posted is wrong, it makes my head hurt.

ParentsOf4

I respectfully suggest you read more on the active RFID technology employed in the MagicBands and perhaps the new tickets as well. (I still can't find a consistent answer on the new cards.) Disney will track you.

Initially, Disney's strategy is to use propaganda to sell the public on MagicBands. Behind the PR lies the fact that Disney is using strong-arm tactics to make you opt-in. If you do not agree to Disney terms and conditions on My Magic, you will not receive FP+. I strongly suspect once Disney has sufficient buy-in from an unsuspecting public, MagicBand will no longer be optional. It's an intelligent "divide-and-conquer" business approach to introducing MagicBands.

It appears Disney's intention is to collect data on your entire vacation. They very much want to know where you've been, what you've seen, where you spent time, what you walked pass, how much you spent, etc. Disney wants to collect this data in a centralized database so they can cross-reference it with other data in order to target advertising and make operations run more efficiently. It's abundantly clear Disney intends to "grade" you as an individual customer (think of a frequent buyer program) in order to allocate more resources to its "best" customers. The exact algorithm is unknown but how much you spend almost certainly will be the single most important criteria. Eventually, expect "guests" who demonstrate the "proper" behavior to be rewarded with, for example, extra or "better" FP+. Those who do not will be "punished" with worse FP+ choices.

Disney is not doing this to make your day "magical". They are doing this to optimize their operations in order to make their executives' total compensation packages "magical". The executives running Disney are highly intelligent business people. They want to maximize profits which means finding ways to get you, the "guest", to spend more.

With the MagicBands, you, the consumer, will be treated like inventory, not like a "guest". Anyone who runs a business knows that inventory is expensive and profits can be increased by optimizing inventory. People who agree to wear the MagicBands are allowing themselves to be tracked like inventory in a warehouse.

Since this thread is titled "MagicBands....Will you wear one?", it's important people understand exactly what the MagicBands really are. Think of The Gap scene in The Minority Report. That's the direction this is heading in.

copcarguyp71

If given the choice I would chose to not have a UPC bar code on the back of my head...that is the equivalent of what they want to do. I guess it does instill a fair amount of paranoia in me... I do not like being tracked or predicted which is one reason why I refuse to get EZPass for my car. Not only does it pay your tolls but on roads around our state (and others) there are RFID detectors so that they can track where you are, your rate of speed and direction of travel. Pretty freaky when you think about it. Some would say that TDO just wants to provide a better experience but my thoughts are along the lines of ParentsOf4 above in that all they want to do is maximize profits and move me around like cattle.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'd find myself to be nieve if I didn't believe Disney would track me with their bracelet. Funnier that you can choose to upgrade to a cuter one at a cost.

When I called central res to book a room only for a night a year or so ago I gave them my phone number and prompted with question if I visited in the last 5 years. They pulled up all of my families previous info. Not that I am thrilled about it however I anticipate quite the data base about my family, rather creepity.

Do I want to participate, no. Will I, yes, what choice will I have? It is very much like the condescending, obnoxious retort to guests that didn't like FP or ADRs, if you don't like it don't use it. Not participating isn't really a viable option. I'm still hoping the bracelet will flop like Disney Institute and Disney hosting Race Car events. I can dream...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
I'd find myself to be nieve if I didn't believe Disney would track me with their bracelet. Funnier that you can choose to upgrade to a cuter one at a cost.

When I called central res to book a room only for a night a year or so ago I gave them my phone number and prompted with question if I visited in the last 5 years. They pulled up all of my families previous info. Not that I am thrilled about it however I anticipate quite the data base about my family, rather creepity.

Do I want to participate, no. Will I, yes, what choice will I have? It is very much like the condescending, obnoxious retort to guests that didn't like FP or ADRs, if you don't like it don't use it. Not participating isn't really a viable option. I'm still hoping the bracelet will flop like Disney Institute and Disney hosting Race Car events. I can dream...

You are right. Opting out is definitely not a viable option. However, deciding to simply carry the RFID enabled card rather then wearing the bracelet is an option. Will you be wearing the Band? Or simply carrying the card?

Gabe1

You are right. Opting out is definitely not a viable option. However, deciding to simply carry the RFID enabled card rather then wearing the bracelet is an option. Will you be wearing the Band? Or simply carrying the card?

I doubt shortly there will be a difference or even possibly the option of a card. The possibilities are endless whether "Chip" is in your wallet or on your wrist.

Basically I don't differentiate the chip in my wallet or the chip on my arm in the long run, just one will not leave an ugly tan line on my forearm to mock me that I paid Disney to chip me as if I was cattle. Consider how we will be herded, the cattle analogy is pretty appropriate.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

What is the point of a forum site if people can't express thier opinions on something, positive or negative? That part of what forums are for.

The technology in the wrist bands is fully capable of allowing them to track you, so you cannot make that statement with any certainty.

Gabe1

What is the point of a forum site if people can't express thier opinions on something, positive or negative? That part of what forums are for.

The technology in the wrist bands is fully capable of allowing them to track you, so you cannot make that statement with any certainty.

Correct. Heck even the State of IL tracks me through my tollway IPASS, they collect far more from that chip than my toll.

Gabe1

I was just wondering.. Has anybody actually read Disney's news release on the whole MyMagic+ and wristband thing?

This system is OPT-IN! You want to use it, you ask!

see FAQ 4 at http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus.htm

Like I have said previously I am not nieve. I also don't believe everything I read in a press release to be the whole truth and nothing but the truth from Disney or anyone else, politicians, drug companies or as late
Lance Armstrong or Manti Teo. As for Disney just because they have not fully disclosed the full capabilities or intentions of the wristband doesn't for a second mean they aren't or won't.

Disney tracks and compiles data on individual guests by their telephone number. Stopping now after investing in chipping us is a curious belief.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom