MagicBand sales to begin at off-property retail locations

seascape

They need to sell between 200 million and 400 million of them depending on profit per band to make $2 billion. But that is based on a profit of between $5.00 and $10.00 per band. That would cover the entire developement and implementation costs based on the $2 billion figure which is in doubt. I doubt they will sell that many any time soon but every little bit helps.

-em

You can refuse a band at check in but they don't make it easy.. We had a split stay and on check in #1 flustered the cm so bad she sent us 'off' before a room #,pin and all the paperwork.. Ended up back at the desk 3x in 2 days for issues.. Check in #2 was given the 'riot act' for declining them, had the cm struggle to activate the cards and still had to return 2x more for issues.. As for using the cards in the parks became comical as cms didn't trust they were room cards

slappy magoo

They need to sell between 200 million and 400 million of them depending on profit per band to make $2 billion. But that is based on a profit of between $5.00 and $10.00 per band. That would cover the entire developement and implementation costs based on the $2 billion figure which is in doubt. I doubt they will sell that many any time soon but every little bit helps.
You're assuming that they need to absorb all the costs of R&D in the retail sale. They're going to consider a small recoup in cost every time they ship one out, absorbed in the price of your vacation.

seascape

You're assuming that they need to absorb all the costs of R&D in the retail sale. They're going to consider a small recoup in cost every time they ship one out, absorbed in the price of your vacation.
No I never expected the retail sales. I expect the profit to come from saving on credit card fees and people spending more of their 1 week vacation in the parks. I plan on being in the parks all 9 days of my vacation. Fast Pass plus makes it easy to plan. I was only talking about the bands being a profit area I never thought about.

doctornick

Then don't buy one, nothing forces you to use one, even resort guests can get a KTTW card instead if they truly don't want a magic band

Yeah, I don't get the incessant mockery that goes on about the MBs. If someone wants to spend their money on them and wear them around (not just at WDW), why shouldn't they? People have different tastes and enjoy different things. And if Disney makes money off of that, more power to them too.

A lot of times, people on here have complained about not having more resort-specific merchandise. Personally, I think it's crazy for someone to want to have some Contemporary or Coronado Springs branded t-shirt or bag, or coaster or whatever, but some people really like that stuff. I think it's a waste of money. To each their own if you want to buy it; I don't see the point in judging others who might like it.

Just my 2 cents.

Captain Chaos

I'm all for it. The sooner that make that $2 billion back the better!
Yep. The sooner they make that $2 billion back, the sooner the executives can give themselves even higher pay raises and more bonuses while taking a stand against pay raises for minimum wage workers, cleaning the parks, hiring more maintenance workers, etc etc...

***BTW I have to make sure to include THIS IS A JOKE because too many people take any critical talk of Disney way too seriously, as if their life depended on it.

slappy magoo

No I never expected the retail sales. I expect the profit to come from saving on credit card fees and people spending more of their 1 week vacation in the parks. I plan on being in the parks all 9 days of my vacation. Fast Pass plus makes it easy to plan. I was only talking about the bands being a profit area I never thought about.
It's probably a matter of time before Disney stores nationwide carry "limited edition" magic bands that can be saved, activated and RE-activated when you go to the parks. Shortly followed by less attractive but nonetheless "exclusive" bands only available at WalMart or Target. Collect 'em all!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom