MagicBand+ announced

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I was referring to needing 8 USB in whatever configuration that is. Likely to be 4 USB Type A for the MagicBand+, and then 4 USB Type C for phones and watches.
I promise I'm not trying to be a troll, I'm genuinely confused here... Do your USB-C to USB-C chargers not have a normal, plugs-into-a-normal-socket end? I've never needed a "USB charger" in my life because all of my USB-anything devices also just... plug into the wall.

istockphoto-902876804-612x612.jpg

Can you not charge your phone, watch, ipad, Nintendo Switch, power bank, laptop and anything else in one of these bad boys?

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I was referring to needing 8 USB in whatever configuration that is. Likely to be 4 USB Type A for the MagicBand+, and then 4 USB Type C for phones and watches.
I promise I'm not trying to be a troll, I'm genuinely confused here... Do your USB-C to USB-C chargers not have a normal, plugs-into-a-normal-socket end? I've never needed a "USB charger" in my life because all of my USB-anything devices also just... plug into the wall.

View attachment 655869

Can you not charge your phone, watch, ipad, Nintendo Switch, power bank, laptop and anything else in one of these bad boys?

correcaminos

Great, now to just wait for the great Etsy flow of new "keepers" to go w/ the new "icons"
That's what I'm waiting on. If someone makes one soon I'll be buying and will be quite happy tbh with a rechargeable band. Since we are not going until next spring (fall and winter are almost always out for us due to schedules) I planned to hold off. Don't know which I'd want anyway.

View attachment 655869

the ports are USB-A to plug in, not USB-C. Means I need to save power chargers for these. I don't think I have any new devices that actually use USB-A anymore, though I have some bricks just in case.

Stevek

I'm pretty underwhelmed but they also are not unreasonably priced considering MB2 prices. I thought they'd be more capable but I also thought they might start at $60. Lower price matching lower my expectations is a Disney first for me. 😄

I'm leaning toward the fireworks one because I imagine that when lit up it remind me of the Grand Fiesta Tour fireworks.

The night show integration is a big selling point so yeah it's going to be a big problem if average use people can't get through the whole day and it's dead before fireworks.
So are you going to watch the night show or look at your magic band during the night show? I'm unsure why Disney needed to release something that would actually distract you from what you are there to watch.

gerarar

Premium Member
I mostly agree except for "It also means they will need 8 USB power supplies to do all of this charging."

Who the heck has a phone that charges with USB-A anymore? The last iPhone to ship with USB-A was something like the iPhone X in 2017.
Idk, but my newest phone, the Galaxy s21 Ultra came with a Type C to C. However, my galaxy watch, galaxy buds and headphones all came with/have a USB-A to C cable. The rest of my family have iPhones, and when we travel we always bring USB-A to Lightning cables because it's commonplace to use it with a splitter, or public charging stations at airports, cafes, etc. Even Disney's chargers at the parks use USB-A. Even me, I bring a USB-A to C to charge my phone with a battery bank.

Type A is still very commonplace, and will be for a while, especially when traveling internationally. I just got back from France and the trains, hotels, etc. all require USB-A connections, which is super because we don't have many converters.

Heck, even my Switch and PS5 came with USB-A to C cables.

Last edited:

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Am I the only one shocked at how excited people are for this?
For me, it isn't so much excited "for this," but excited to have my MBs selected. Like some others, I get new bands for every trip. They are fun trinkets, my kiddo likes playing with them after, and they are a "relatively" inexpensive souvenir from a trip that can trigger some memories. I have my Starcruiser MBs in a drawer in my closet, and I see them almost every morning, and they make me smile.

So when I booked my December 2023 trip last year, I held off getting MBs because these had been announced. So when the drop date was announced, I got excited to buy something new and move one step closer to being ready for our trip. Next thing is dining reservations in September. I will get excited for that. Then the doldrums until we get to leave.

So this is just a step in the process, but it's something new and neat. That I will link, customize, then stick in a drawer until I re-charge them the night before we leave.

Gillyanne

View attachment 655869

Nothing I have (anymore) goes straight from the Micro USB/USB-C into a socket. I have had something that was a straight single cord into the plug before, but mostly now ad days it's usually the micro/c on the end into the phone/device, and then a male USB A that goes into some type of wall brick/adapter. I've got a plethora of different plugs I can take on vacation with the multiple female USBs on it (much like someone else posted here, I'd have to dig the thread and find it) that then plug into the 2/3 prong outlet. Our family also tends to use magnetic tips in our devices so we can have 2 cords somewhere and just easily "snap" the cord onto one of many devices, not really having to unplug anything.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Idk, but my newest phone, the Galaxy s21 Ultra came with a Type C to C. However, my galaxy watch, galaxy buds and headphones all came with/have a USB-A to C cable. The rest of my family have iPhones, and when we travel we always bring USB-A to Lightning cables because it's commonplace to use it with a splitter, or public charging stations at airports, cafes, etc. Even Disney's chargers at the parks use USB-A. Even me, I bring a USB-A to C to charge my phone with a battery bank.
I don't have any Apple products, but aren't those USB-A to Lightning cables severely underpowered? Same with USB-A to USB-C for your Galaxy devices? My Pixel charges extremely fast when I run USB-C to USB-C but USB-A to USB-C is slower than wireless charging. Even my Anker battery bank runs USB-C to USB-C.

Heck, even my Switch and PS5 came with USB-A to C cables.
Those are to charge the controllers. Switch consoles including launch editions, Lite, and SWOLED all charge on a proprietary Nintendo brick-to-USB-C.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
male USB A that goes into some type of wall brick/adapter.
Right but this is sort of my point. You HAVE those bricks/adapters (and they charge a heck of a lot faster than the crappy USB-A ports hotels have been installing). Meaning there shouldn't be any kind of mass shortage of USB-A port availability in your hotel room because you don't need USB-A port availability in your hotel room.

JaxFLBear

I don't have any Apple products, but aren't those USB-A to Lightning cables severely underpowered? Same with USB-A to USB-C for your Galaxy devices? My Pixel charges extremely fast when I run USB-C to USB-C but USB-A to USB-C is slower than wireless charging. Even my Anker battery bank runs USB-C to USB-C.
Newer iPhones are USB-C to Lightning which support faster charging.

Gillyanne

Right but this is sort of my point. You HAVE those bricks/adapters (and they charge a heck of a lot faster than the crappy USB-A ports hotels have been installing). Meaning there shouldn't be any kind of mass shortage of USB-A port availability in your hotel room because you don't need USB-A port availability in your hotel room.

OK I see where you are; I think @wdwmagic is getting where; people who say only have the 1 usb brick, maybe 2, are going to need either a lot of bricks (taking up plugs) or need to get new bricks to accommodate more USBs (at least that's how I see it, I don't pay attention to USBs built into the room, also stay off property). And even w/ a brick w/ multiple USBs, it can get a lil crowded on the table/nightstand with them all

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Newer iPhones are USB-C to Lightning which support faster charging.
That's my point. Hotel rooms (for the most part) aren't installing USB-C outlets, they're installing USB-A outlets, which isn't going to do you any good when you want to charge your phone. Meaning you need your brick adapter so you can plug into a normal wall outlet. Meaning your phone and MB+ aren't going to be competing for the same USB-A charger slots.

TheMaxRebo

Shouldn't need more outlets, but will likely need more mutli-USB adapters now

Before we just had to charge a could of phones and maybe a Kindle fire or 2, so maybe needing to plug in 4 things total ... Now if everyone in my family got a MB+ that is 5 more things that need to be plugged in to something so more adapters needed

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Shouldn't need more outlets, but will likely need more mutli-USB adapters now

Before we just had to charge a could of phones and maybe a Kindle fire or 2, so maybe needing to plug in 4 things total ... Now if everyone in my family got a MB+ that is 5 more things that need to be plugged in to something so more adapters needed
It's not a matter of how many things you need to charge, it's a matter of what types of slots you need.

Disney hotels have either all or almost all installed USB-A outlets in addition to normal wall outlets. Meaning you'll be able to charge your phones and other devices via the normal wall outlets and your MB+ via the USB-A outlet.

gerarar

Premium Member

Those are to charge the controllers. Switch consoles including launch editions, Lite, and SWOLED all charge on a proprietary Nintendo brick-to-USB-C.
For my Galaxy, USB-C to C has super fast charging. If I just use a regular USB-A to C, it's maybe about 25-30 mins slower? But I only really ever charge overnight, so doesn't really matter. For the iPhones, they charge pretty quick (imo) when on regular USB-A. My Anker 20k has both USB-C and -A, so I swap depending on which cable I end up bringing.

And yea, I was referring to the controllers. But on occasion I do charge my Switch with a USB-A to C when on the go, which mostly happens when I use whatever cable I could find lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom