Low down on memory?

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
Is there really a difference between the different brands of SD cards? Is there a preferred card used by pros, or are they pretty much the same?

NowInc

Is there really a difference between the different brands of SD cards? Is there a preferred card used by pros, or are they pretty much the same?

I typcially stick to sandisk or sony...always class 10 or higher (ultras are awesome). I dont typically trust any other brands. ALL can fail, but from my experiences, ive had the least problems with those 2

whoiscliffwang

I typcially stick to sandisk or sony...always class 10 or higher (ultras are awesome). I dont typically trust any other brands. ALL can fail, but from my experiences, ive had the least problems with those 2

Agree. For my Nikon, they have a list of approved memory cards. I would check with the manufacture of your camera to see if they have the same.

I also use Lexar SD cards / CF cards. i would look into getting the fastest speed of card you can afford. I would shy away from Class 4 SD cards.

whoiscliffwang

One more thing, I would be cautious of purchasing memory on ebay that is extremely cheap but advertised as a good brand such as Sandisk. There has been counterfeit Sandisk cards floating around the web. This is not to say that ALL low priced cards are counterfeit, as I have found good deals on Genuine memory.

FWIW Best Buy had 32Gb Sandisk Class 10 Ultra for $18 on black friday. Keep an eye on weekly circulars, the sales do pop up now and then.

thomas998

Yes, some of the off-brands don't perform as they should and if you are trying to use them for video you could have problems... I would consider looking at what kind of camera you use and whether you use it for stills or video... No reason to buy the hyper-expensive stuff if you are using it in a camera that doesn't need that speed. I would also suggest not buying the really large chips. I find it better to have more smaller chips than 1 large because I have had even name brand chips fail on me and in the last instance when it failed nothing was retrievable so it would be better to lose one of many chips from a trip than the single chip of everything.

NowInc

Amazon frequently has awesome sales on SD cards. Last week was sony. I will try and post whenever a good deal pops up (they are usually one day only sales)

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
On my trips I usually get one card per day. I can get 300 pics (shot in RAW format) on a 8GB card. I`ve been buying whatever is the best deal at the time. I was just wondering if any brand is better than the other. I only take stills with my DSLR. I also carry a Sony HD camcorder with me for video. I only use Sony cards in the camcorder.

Last edited:

whoiscliffwang

I use a 32gb CF in slot 1 and a 32gb SD in slot 2 on my D800. I can get about 580 shots RAW + JPEG Fine. 14Bit Compressed Raw.

I am taking 8 CF's and 8 SD's with me. And my laptop in case I need to clear up a card or two. Time to get another 2 terabyte external to hold my pictures!

NowInc

I use a 32gb CF in slot 1 and a 32gb SD in slot 2 on my D800. I can get about 580 shots RAW + JPEG Fine. 14Bit Compressed Raw.

I am taking 8 CF's and 8 SD's with me. And my laptop in case I need to clear up a card or two. Time to get another 2 terabyte external to hold my pictures!

I would suggest maybe investing in something a bit more secure than a regular external. Either a cloud solution (not typically cost effective with large amounts), or a drobo system (the drobo mini is popular with photographers). I've had a few externals die on me and its never fun. Granted it doesn't happen often, but it only takes once.

http://www.droboworks.com/Drobo-Mini.asp (Personally Id get just the case and by my own drives from amazon to put in there, as amazon has an awesome return policy just in case one drive fails)

PhotoDave219

I stick with Lexar and SanDisk.

Tho I also occasionally shoot with an eye-fi card to xmit to my phone & send from there.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Nails on a chalkboard.

Storage is not "memory". Memory is memory.

That being said (as others have said) Lexar and Sandisk both turn out quality products at reasonable prices.

thomas998

Nails on a chalkboard.

Storage is not "memory". Memory is memory.

That being said (as others have said) Lexar and Sandisk both turn out quality products at reasonable prices.

Actually it is completely acceptable to use the term storage and memory interchangeably, though normally one would say "data storage"... I've been around since the time the first PC had only 4kB of storage, and people have used the two terms back and forth.... Not saying it might not hurt your ears, but storage is memory and memory is storage.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Actually it is completely acceptable to use the term storage and memory interchangeably, though normally one would say "data storage"... I've been around since the time the first PC had only 4kB of storage, and people have used the two terms back and forth.... Not saying it might not hurt your ears, but storage is memory and memory is storage.
Yes, I know. It's just a personal (and irrational) peeve of mine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom