Loaded gun found on Animal Kingdom ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMINYCR

Question asked on Florida's concealed weapons permit....

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing
APPLICATION FOR CONCEALED WEAPON/FIREARM LICENSE
Chapter 790, Florida Statutes

13) During the three years preceding the date of this application, have you been: a. Committed for the abuse of controlled substances, or been found guilty or convicted of a crime under the
provisions of Chapter 893, Florida Statutes, or similar laws of any other state, or had multiple arrests for such offenses within the past five years with the most recent arrest occuring within the past year?
b. Committed for the abuse of alcoholic beverages or other substances under the provisions of Chapter 397, or under the provisions of former Chapter 396, Florida Statutes, or convicted under Section 790.151, Florida Statutes, or been deemed a habitual offender under the provisions of Section 856.011(3), Florida Statutes, or similar laws of any other state?
c. Convicted two or more times under Section 316.193, Florida Statutes, or similar laws of any other state for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you are not eligible for licensure.

New question we expect to be added :
d. Have you ever thought of entering any amusement park with a loaded weapon in your pocket with the intention of riding any amusement ride in which said weapon may be left behind accidentally or otherwise from being unaware of it leaving your possession ?
If you answered yes to this question, you are definitely stupid.
You are not eligible for licensure. PERIOD.

GLaDOS

Do you think good guys shooting back is more foolish than just letting the bad guy kill little kids until he's had his fill of that activity?

Not my point. My point is the "Good Guy with a Gun" isn't John McClain 99% of the time. Just because he or she has a gun doesn't mean they're going to stop them, or even try to stop them.

Expecting someone else with a gun to save you is about as likely as worrying that someone with a gun is going to shoot you in the Magic Kingdom.

Not likely.

luv

Not my point. My point is the "Good Guy with a Gun" isn't John McClain 99% of the time. Just because he or she has a gun doesn't mean they're going to stop them, or even try to stop them.

Expecting someone else with a gun to save you is about as likely as worrying that someone with a gun is going to shoot you in the Magic Kingdom.

Not likely.
Again with the assumption that everyone thinks real life is like the movies, lol.

They don't. They aren't all morons.

The question is not, "Is real life like the movies?" We all know it isn't. No need to debate THAT.

The question is, if you don't favor the "good guys shooting back" mentality (and find it foolish), what are you in favor of?

Mr Bill

Because I'm sure they were all action heroes who would have popped up and dropped the bad guy.

But not before saying some witty one liner! Because that's how real life works!

Yeah, in a chaotic dark theater, with a ton of people panicking, smoke bombs going off, I really don't think one more person with a firearm was going to do much to improve the situation and take out the crazy guy wearing bullet-resistant clothing.

draybook

There's a difference between being prepared for an effing storm and bringing a loaded weapon to a place littered with children.

I seriously cannot believe you are trying to defend this guys 'right to carry' his gun into a theme park.

I feel ill. Not reading any more of this. I'm just glad it was found by a grandmother with enough common sense to report it to CM and not a child who might have thought it was a toy and fired it at someone.

In case some of you haven't noticed, places littered with kids and defenseless other people are the places that criminals and terrorists love.....

However, this guy is a complete moron and he's the reason why responsible gun owners like myself have such a stigma attached to us.

From the sound of it, it seems that the gun was not completely loaded and was 2 clicks from being operable. That's about the only thing that this idiot did right.

luv

I'm in the favor of no one having guns.
That would be nice. But short of living in a John Lennon song (or a movie) that will never, ever happen.

And that isn't what we were discussing. We were discussing a situation where a bad guy with a gun HAS shown up. You said you weren't in favor of good guys with guns shooting back.

That pretty much leaves, "Let the bad guys kill as many people as they want." Unless I'm missing something other than the Utopian idea, which I may very well be!

You said it was foolish for e good guys with guns to shoot back.

What is less foolish? Help me out here! I'm totally willing to see another side!!!

draybook

Exactly.

And strangely quite a few of those countries which have lifestyles without guns manage to exist quite well without being havens of crime that people need to protect themselves from.

Memphis was ranked the 5th most dangerous city in America. I freely go anywhere in Memphis and I never feel threatened nor do I carry my firearm. Let's not get silly with the whole "America is nutty" stuff....

luv

Exactly.

And strangely quite a few of those countries which have lifestyles without guns manage to exist quite well without being havens of crime that people need to protect themselves from.
Which country full of people without guns has not needed an army of people with guns to come save them from bad guys?

HTF

I'm going to refer to your third paragraph.
Bringing a loaded firearm isn't negligence. It may be against the rules of WDW, but in and if itself it's not negligence. What was negligent was that the man in question did not have it properly secured.

I do agree that the guy should be banned for longer than one day.

We can agree to disagree here as bringing a loaded firearm secured or unsecured into a crowded place full of thousands of children is in my opinion negligent. Also note I'm not one of those anti gun people by any means. My family is blue collar and were all from a military, law enforcement, and public service background. Not that that's really important to the conversation I just didn't want anyone thinking I was swayed in my comments because of current gun issues in this country.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
That would be nice. But short of living in a John Lennon song (or a movie) that will never, ever happen.

And that isn't what we were discussing. We were discussing a situation where a bad guy with a gun HAS shown up. You said you weren't in favor of good guys with guns shooting back.

That pretty much leaves, "Let the bad guys kill as many people as they want." Unless I'm missing something other than the Utopian idea, which I may very well be!

What is less foolish? Help me out here! I'm totally willing to see another side!!!

Jumping into this, I'd be in favor of good guys with guns shooting back. But not tourist civilians with whom we have no idea how good or mediocre they are. I'd prefer to have Disney have a security protocol in place to handle this so civilians were not required to prove their worth here. If Disney does not have a protocol in place, they are foolish. I don't want a firefight to take place that does not have at least one side of the equation having trained and prepared to operate in this sort of a situation.

c-one

There is a chance that good guy stops bad guy. There's also a chance that good guy 1 mistakes good guy 2 for bad guy and inadvertently causes even more carnage. There's also a chance that good guy is better at shooting at the range than he is when he's in a life-threatening situation and he turns out to be a poor shot.

luv

an army is part of the government, not part of the lifestyle.
So they haven't exactly existed "quite well" without the guns? They exist "quite well" until bad guys with guns show up. Then they require entire ARMIES of men with guns to come save them.

The reason America would be difficult to overtake isn't the stern looks the bad guys would get...nor is it the fact that bad guys wouldn't like to take over. It's the guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom