Loaded gun found on Animal Kingdom ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoarderPhreak

People are really going to start wondering what the hell's in the water down at WDW... Drunken idiots in a golf cart, dry ice bombs (granted this was DL), now this tool dropping a piece on a ride - all in a one week span.

There was worry about bad PR in one thread. One incident here or there is one thing, but now we've got three oddball events in a short time span. It's approaching critical mass. ;)

Fantasmic

Sorry for our fellow (stupid) country man creating such a scare for you. I promise though, we're not all so stupid, and very few of us are actually carrying.

Totally understand, but I suppose if someone is nuts enough to carry a gun in WDW then what little thing is gonna set them off into a firing frenzy.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid!

asc341

Besides what others have pointed out about the irresponsibility of carrying a firearm in your pocket, it's irresponsible in of itself to not realize that a gun may be contraband at a theme park, and not to confirm with that park (website, representative or whatever) that it's acceptable before you take it. "Not knowing" is hardly an excuse.

I hope this incident gets noted on some sort of record, should this man ever need to renew a gun license or buy another firearm. Those who prove they cannot handle great responsibility, should not have the privilege to wield a great power.

DisneyRunner

How did it get past security? Idk if this has been discussed, as I haven't read through the entire thread. I guess the guards don't do pat downs, but will this implement them?

jakeman

Totally understand, but I suppose if someone is nuts enough to carry a gun in WDW then what little thing is gonna set them off into a firing frenzy.

That is a bit paranoid. Not everyone who exercises their right to carry has a "little thing" that will set them off.

For probably a vast majority, it is about being prepared and they aren't looking for trouble.

It's the equivalent of calling someone who has a weeks worth of non-perishable food for his/her family in the event of a hurricane a food hoarder.

c-one

Probably the more likely scenario is the one that was narrowly averted here -- an irresponsible gun owner leads to an accidental discharge, or a child thinking it's a toy. Horrific, I know, and I apologize. But that's why this needs to be addressed.

draybook

There are those who are the responsible gun owners of the world who have a gun in case of emergency.

And then there are those in the world who believe a gun is the answer to all situations.

The former I find acceptable: having it done around in the house in case suddenly you need to shoot a home intruder. Or the Russians show up. Or the Chinese. You get the point.

The latter I find grossly unacceptable and responsible gun owners should too.

reddawnwolverines.jpg

bubbles1812

Yikes. The man is a moron. Sorry. A loaded gun? That easily could have been a child who picked it up and then shot it... And then we'd get another "fun" story of a 4 year old killing their sibling/mother/father/relative with the added "super fun" twist of it being at Disney World.

WDW is not and never should be a place where concealed carry or otherwise is allowed. Ever.

HTF

This is another instance of where are our priorities in life do not make a damn bit of sense! You can bring a loaded fire arm with hollow point rounds into a family oriented area like Disney. Then lose the loaded gun making it accessible to children who could of hurt or even killed themselves or someone else within seconds of finding it. Then go back to find your gun, display a piece of paper that anyone can get saying I'm "intelligent" enough to carry this fire arm in a concealed method into massive crowds. Then not only get your firearm back, keep your license, and not face any charges!? On top of that only be slapped on the wrist and asked to leave for the day and not TRESPASSED!!!

Meanwhile people get trespassed for taking construction photos on guest mid ways, wearing shirts with profanity, walking behind the scenes of abandoned buildings for life!! This guy brought a loaded firearm into a themepark and lost the thing! Someone wasn't going to offended or misguided by this, someone was going to get seriously hurt or killed if this turned south. This was so close to being a tragedy it's not acceptable. It's not funny, it's not tolerable, and it should of resulted in disciplinary action from Disney, the Orange County Sheriffs Office, and the US Government. He should of been trespassed for life, fined if not arrested for negligence, and his concealed permit revoked.

I am a firm believer in the right to bear arms but this country needs to do a better job at controlling who has this right. Bringing a loaded firearm into an environment with thousands of little children is the definition of negligence and he should of been made an example of. Some of this may seem harsh to some but god forbid this happens again. It won't seem so harsh then when someone's child shot and killed himself by accidental discharge on a family vacation. I'm disgusted at how this was handled by Disney, I'm disgusted you can be banned for the other things I listed but not this. You can bet I will be mailing in my thoughts to Disney today!

luv

It's the equivalent of calling someone who has a weeks worth of non-perishable food for his/her family in the event of a hurricane a food hoarder.
I do that, too. Two weeks. And water, a stove, etc.

During the giant blackout ten years ago, a neighbor needed water to make formula for her baby. I had enough to give her some, too. And we had gasoline in the garage.

It's always useless to be prepared...until the unexpected, unlikely thing happens.

Some people want to be as prepared as possible. Others (my sister, especially!) prefer to live figuring the unexpected, unlikely thing won't happen.

It's just a personal preference and nothing is wrong with either lifestyle, IMO.

Soarin' Over Pgh

There's a difference between being prepared for an effing storm and bringing a loaded weapon to a place littered with children.

I seriously cannot believe you are trying to defend this guys 'right to carry' his gun into a theme park.

I feel ill. Not reading any more of this. I'm just glad it was found by a grandmother with enough common sense to report it to CM and not a child who might have thought it was a toy and fired it at someone.

jakeman

Yikes. The man is a moron. Sorry. A loaded gun? That easily could have been a child who picked it up and then shot it... And then we'd get another "fun" story of a 4 year old killing their sibling/mother/father/relative with the added "super fun" twist of it being at Disney World.

WDW is not and never should be a place where concealed carry or otherwise is allowed. Ever.
The man is a moron for bringing a firearm onto private property and against the property owner's policy. He is also a moron for not properly securing his firearm.

Calvin Coolidge

You are. If you've ever been anywhere in Central FL outside of WDW property (stores, restaurants, highway rest stops, movie theaters) you've basically been surrounded by concealed guns, carried safely and properly by responsible gun owners. You were never in any danger. You were in more danger, by several degrees, driving from your hotel to the park than in any place where people carry guns.

It's not "nuts" to carry a gun in the US, even in a place where you might consider it odd.

(I should note: It is very, very nuts to carry a gun on a theme park ride, though, especially one as rough as Dinosaur. And it is dumbcriminally dumb, literallyto leave it unattended, especially in a place with children)

(For the record, I am in favor of locking this thread.)

jakeman

There's a difference between being prepared for an effing storm and bringing a loaded weapon to a place littered with children.

I seriously cannot believe you are trying to defend this guys 'right to carry' his gun into a theme park.

I feel ill. Not reading any more of this. I'm just glad it was found by a grandmother with enough common sense to report it to CM and not a child who might have thought it was a toy and fired it at someone.
I don't think anyone is defending it.

WDW has a policy of no weapons. He violated this policy.

The point being made is that one man's preparedness is another man's paranoia.

No one here is advocating that any laws or WDW policies be violated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom