Loaded gun found on Animal Kingdom ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyFan

There's a big difference between "paranoia" and "caution". I think in chosing "paranoia", Dave did not mean to insult those who simply want protection in case of an emergency.

He made a bad choice in wording then, if so.
par·a·noi·a​

1. A mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically worked...​
2. Suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification.​

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
There's a big difference between "paranoia" and "caution". I think in chosing "paranoia", Dave did not mean to insult those who simply want protection in case of an emergency.

There are those who are the responsible gun owners of the world who have a gun in case of emergency.

And then there are those in the world who believe a gun is the answer to all situations.

The former I find acceptable: having it done around in the house in case suddenly you need to shoot a home intruder. Or the Russians show up. Or the Chinese. You get the point.

The latter I find grossly unacceptable and responsible gun owners should too.

Nmoody1

To be honest, I'm kind of offended that a topic on Gay Day's that was filled with people discussing how fun happy and normal they are, with ZERO political discussion at all, no name calling or anything offensive in anyway, was closed after pages for fear it might turn that way.

But here we have a topic where serious injury could happen to guests, and lots of back and forth has taken place, on peoples rights, and yet the thread remains open.

Likely my mention of Gay Days will mean my post will be removed, or it will now lock the thread. Either way, kind of hypocritical.

We all know celebrating homosexuality is way more dangerous than carrying a gun in our back pocket allowing it to fall out in a park frequented by children... Apparently ;)

luv

Yes, he did. Dave's not an idiot. He chose that word because he knew what it meant.

It's okay. I'm not angry at Dave. :) He is allowed to have a different opinion. He's even allowed to think we are paranoid.

But I will bet that on occasion, Dave also takes prophylactic measures to guard against something that probably won't happen, but could. He might be paranoid/cautious, too.

Don't know it for a fact!! But I'm guessing. :D

Mark In KY

I bet you don't think there's a reason to carry a weapon in a movie theater either. Or a high school.
Correct. There are lots of things that I don't think there's a reason to do. As a recently retired ED physician who did his EM residency at the knife and gun club that is Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami I have seen too many gunshot wounds.
I was born in 1955, I have been to many movie theaters, I have been to many theme parks, I spent 4 years in high school; never ONCE have I felt like I needed to carry a weapon to any of them.

luv

Correct. There are lots of things that I don't think there's a reason to do. As a recently retired ED physician who did his EM residency at the knife and gun club that is Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami I have seen too many gunshot wounds.
I was born in 1955, I have been to many movie theaters, I have been to many theme parks, I spent 4 years in high school; never ONCE have I felt like I needed to carry a weapon to any of them.
And you shouldn't. It's a very personal decision. It's also a big responsibility. One that needs to be taken much more seriously than the guy in this article took it!

Animaniac93-98

There are those who are the responsible gun owners of the world who have a gun in case of emergency.

And then there are those in the world who believe a gun is the answer to all situations.

The former I find acceptable: having it done around in the house in case suddenly you need to shoot a home intruder. Or the Russians show up. Or the Chinese. You get the point.

The latter I find grossly unacceptable and responsible gun owners should too.

I simply believe that if you feel the need to carry a gun at all times, regardless of whether or not that is allowed, for protection then you are at least slightly paranoid.

I get why bag-check is considered "theatre", but I gotta believe Disney has enough legit secuirty measures in place to prevent serious harm from occuring, or that the statistical likelihood of anything truly bad happening is slim. But maybe that's just that sweet, sweet Kool-aid I've been drinking. ;)

c-one

Me, too!

But it would be irresponsible of them to not be prepared for such an event. Any smart person knows it could happen and that Disney is a desirable target for an evil-minded person.

The guys who work on things like this should be prepared for it all the time.

I don't pretend to have strategic knowledge. I don't even like to think about stuff like that.

But I hope and pray Disney has employed smart, strong people who do have that kind of knowledge, can think it through...and are prepared for it.

Now I really don't want to think about it. Much rather do my nails. :)
It's a very safe bet that Disney is more prepared to deal with a live-shooter situation than your average gun-toting citizen is.

GrumpyFan

I simply believe that if you feel the need to carry a gun at all times, regardless of whether or not that is allowed, for protection then you are at least slightly paranoid.

Some like to carry a flashlight (myself), some like to carry a knife, some like to carry a gun, it's just their own choice. Slightly paranoid? Maybe, or maybe they just like to feel prepared.

Soarin' Over Pgh

It's hard not to turn it political. Only in the USA would someone feel they need to have a loaded gun on them at Disney World.

I think this kind of sums it up.

Why on earth do you need a gun loaded with hollow point bullets AT DISNEY WORLD? I mean, the strollers and ECVs me off too but you really need to bring your gun with you?

Stop the world. I want off.

Animaniac93-98

It's a very safe bet that Disney is more prepared to deal with a live-shooter situation than your average gun-toting citizen is.

But the guy in the article could clearly save the day (Hollywood Western style!) in such a situation with his "crappy" gun, always perfect aim and endless supply of bullets. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom