Living near WDW?

Lilofan

Tampa has lots of people and the commute on I-4 to Orlando is a nightmare.

Few places in Florida, especially South Florida, are rural anymore. Only the Panhandle region isn't overcrowded.
Would not want to live in the FL panhandle , hurricane alley every single year. , prefer home to a condo which is a glorified apartment where I can hear the neighbors music , sounds etc.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I usually leave by 9 AM, so it would be close to noon when I'd hit the exit for 50. I should wave at your Gator daughter as I pass UF on I-75. 😄

Now, if I could figure out how to get from 50 to Avalon, I'd not have to get back on the Turnpike.
Just go east to Avalon and turn right. :hilarious: Glad I could help!

avalon.PNG

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Even though it does appear now that we are almost definitely 2 years until retirement... we are still doing the visit this summer to explore neighborhoods and 'normal' living in central Florida for a week this summer. So, @LAKid53 @Bullseye1967 and @Laura - as the local folks in this discussion... here are some of our plans (and, yes, we are doing some Disney stuff) - let me know what you think.

Visit Wekiwa Springs and canoe and hike
Walk around Lake Louise
Meals at 3 Sisters Speakeasy, Friar Tuck, El Tenampa, and Bosphorus
Trivia night at either 3 Sisters or Friar Tuck (or maybe Persimmon Hollow)
Drive and shop in/around Clermont, Horizon West, Winter Garden, and Windermere
And, at Disney: Epcot After Hours party, Hoop-de-doo, maybe Jelly Rolls.

We are trying to balance neighborhood exploring with being on vacation. Welcome any other thoughts or ideas!
I am probably not the best source now, but I know the area and definitely know the eats. Big shout out to @LAKid53 Ford's Garage has to be visited! We lived in Central FL for years and then moved and rented out our house to take care of my DW's parents. After they both went to a senior home we bought another place in Baldwin Park. Since then my FiL has passed and my MiL was thrown out of 4 different retirement homes. She now lives with us and even going to the grocery store is tough. We have rented out the condo in Baldwin Park and will be in Tennessee for awhile. Her dementia is strong but not full on to family members so we will do what we can. When she was kicked out the first time she went to live with my SiL and that ended very badly. She is mostly happy with us. Baldwin Park is way more East on Colonial than we wanted to be, so we will probably buy again near to where you are looking and keep that as a second rental property. Still happy to take any questions.

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I am probably not the best source now, but I know the area and definitely know the eats. Big shout out to @LAKid53 Ford's Garage has to be visited! We lived in Central FL for years and then moved and rented out our house to take care of my DW's parents. After they both went to a senior home we bought another place in Baldwin Park. Since then my FiL has passed and my MiL was thrown out of 4 different retirement homes. She now lives with us and even going to the grocery store is tough. We have rented out the condo in Baldwin Park and will be in Tennessee for awhile. Her dementia is strong but not full on to family members so we will do what we can. When she was kicked out the first time she went to live with my SiL and that ended very badly. She is mostly happy with us. Baldwin Park is way more East on Colonial than we wanted to be, so we will probably buy again near to where you are looking and keep that as a second rental property. Still happy to take any questions.

Sorry to hear of all the 'chaos' with everything. I can definitely sympathize a bit with your situation. My parents had been living happily in retirement a few hours away from us. About 5 years back, they moved closer to us (and other family) and also into a smaller place as yardwork and upkeep was getting difficult. About a year ago, my father was diagnosed with dementia and it has progressed very quickly. He doesn't have any trouble with my mom, but it takes him a few seconds to recognize me and a few minutes to recognize my wife. I'm worried that next time he sees my daughter, he might not know her at all since he hasn't seen her in over a year and even then it was pretty brief. Luckily, they found a home that has an Independent Living side (that they are in right now), but also an Assisted Living side AND a very good dementia care facility. They've only been there a couple months now, but my dad has already forgotten the house they were in for 4.5 years before this.

And, we've added Ford's Garage to the plans!

Laura

Premium Member
@LAKid53 @Bullseye1967 - just pulled up Ford's Garage on the map... we are staying literally right across Vineland from the Outlets location. Well, that was terribly convenient!
We just had dinner at Portillos kind of across the way from there the other night when we left Sea World.

We’ve eaten at Ford’s Garage in Hamlin once and I didn’t get the hype. But I may just not know the right things to be hyped about. I remember it being a really long wait and very expensive burgers and fries. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom