Living near WDW?

Lilofan

Florida would be incredibly smart to learn from CA and TX and put in (or at the very minimum buy land and plan for) mass transit while they still can, that way they can avoid a situation like CA where it’s going to take unbelievable amounts of money to put it in after the fact and avoid situations like Houston where they have 16 lane interstates that still can’t keep up with growth.

The way FL is growing there’s no way to avoid the inevitable traffic problems with road building alone.

I wish more Americans would visit Europe and see how convenient good mass transit really is, here we associate buses and trains with poverty and criminals, in Europe it’s comfortable and often even luxurious.
When public transit is described as a social welfare program that does not he!p either.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I wish more Americans would visit Europe and see how convenient good mass transit really is, here we associate buses and trains with poverty and criminals, in Europe it’s comfortable and often even luxurious.
Public transportation options here vary from state to state. For many, (regardless of income level) it's a reasonable way to travel, particularly in the larger cities, where the streets are so crowded with cars. Commuting to work, school, etc., via subway, or commuter rail trains outside city limits, is often a faster option. I've taken public transit for many years. (True, it may not have the same comfort level as some trains in Europe, but it gets people from point A to B.)

Lilofan

DO NOT go to Pine Hills!!!! EVER!!!!!
Pine Hills or Crime Hills is a place where you have to be clueless to end up getting lost in that area. There are many more dangerous neighborhoods off exits of I-95 Jacksonville , I-4 Tampa and I-95 Miami where day or night I would not be caught there for anything especially innocent tourists getting off the highway looking for a gas station or hotel.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
There is a Middle Eastern restaurant called Jerusalem Restaurant at 192/535. Huge portions and spectacular food for great prices. Just a few minutes from WDW. If you care to venture a bit further East on 192 there is a place called El Tenampa. It is the best Mexican food I have had in Central Florida.

Been to both, spectacular. El Tenampa has better quality tortas and tacos than some places in Houston.

Visiting the best Mexican place in the area will be well appreciated by my wife. Being married to someone who is half Italian and half Mexican and loves to cook is truly a blessing. But we also enjoy getting out at times and a good, authentic Mexican place is definitely something we love.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's a concern for a number of folks moving to Central FL. Those areas that are growing will continue to grow with much more homes, condos, shopping and dining options bring built on vacant land . Sadly the roadways that don't grow and be built as fast will be more and more clogged with traffic.

Florida would be incredibly smart to learn from CA and TX and put in (or at the very minimum buy land and plan for) mass transit while they still can, that way they can avoid a situation like CA where it’s going to take unbelievable amounts of money to put it in after the fact and avoid situations like Houston where they have 16 lane interstates that still can’t keep up with growth.

The way FL is growing there’s no way to avoid the inevitable traffic problems with road building alone.

Public transportation options here vary from state to state. For many, (regardless of income level) it's a reasonable way to travel, particularly in the larger cities, where the streets are so crowded with cars. Commuting to work, school, etc., via subway, or commuter rail trains outside city limits, is often a faster option. I've taken public transit for many years. (True, it may not have the same comfort level as some trains in Europe, but it gets people from point A to B.)

We both lived for a while in different areas of downtown Baltimore, so we've lived the gridlock vs. mass transit thing in our past and certainly dealt with some less-than-desirable areas (for a few years, my wife was in an area that was at the time considered the worst for crime in Baltimore). While I'm no fan of traffic and we have enjoyed our time living in the country, I think we both prefer a little more hustle and bustle in our lives. My last few years living in Baltimore, I had a 20 mile commute all on major highways with 55-65mph limits... and it regularly took almost an hour. Now, our concern is coming up in the next few weeks when it is seeding season and the large farm equipment is making the rounds, which sometimes creates just a long of a commute!!

Also, hoping to get back to regular biking. When I was in the city, I biked everywhere. But in our area of winding, hilly, narrow roads it is much less than safe to ride a bike - so I hope to maybe get back into it in Florida.

Lilofan

Visiting the best Mexican place in the area will be well appreciated by my wife. Being married to someone who is half Italian and half Mexican and loves to cook is truly a blessing. But we also enjoy getting out at times and a good, authentic Mexican place is definitely something we love.
There are several hole in the wall Mexican and other immigrant cuisine dining on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando but the sights, street walkers and all other walks of life that you see will never make it in the tourist traveler guide . Eat well and cheap but it comes with safety risks.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Even though it does appear now that we are almost definitely 2 years until retirement... we are still doing the visit this summer to explore neighborhoods and 'normal' living in central Florida for a week this summer. So, @LAKid53 @Bullseye1967 and @Laura - as the local folks in this discussion... here are some of our plans (and, yes, we are doing some Disney stuff) - let me know what you think.

Visit Wekiwa Springs and canoe and hike
Walk around Lake Louise
Meals at 3 Sisters Speakeasy, Friar Tuck, El Tenampa, and Bosphorus
Trivia night at either 3 Sisters or Friar Tuck (or maybe Persimmon Hollow)
Drive and shop in/around Clermont, Horizon West, Winter Garden, and Windermere
And, at Disney: Epcot After Hours party, Hoop-de-doo, maybe Jelly Rolls.

We are trying to balance neighborhood exploring with being on vacation. Welcome any other thoughts or ideas!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Even though it does appear now that we are almost definitely 2 years until retirement... we are still doing the visit this summer to explore neighborhoods and 'normal' living in central Florida for a week this summer. So, @LAKid53 @Bullseye1967 and @Laura - as the local folks in this discussion... here are some of our plans (and, yes, we are doing some Disney stuff) - let me know what you think.

Visit Wekiwa Springs and canoe and hike
Walk around Lake Louise
Meals at 3 Sisters Speakeasy, Friar Tuck, El Tenampa, and Bosphorus
Trivia night at either 3 Sisters or Friar Tuck (or maybe Persimmon Hollow)
Drive and shop in/around Clermont, Horizon West, Winter Garden, and Windermere
And, at Disney: Epcot After Hours party, Hoop-de-doo, maybe Jelly Rolls.

We are trying to balance neighborhood exploring with being on vacation. Welcome any other thoughts or ideas!

The food at Bosphorus was very good. When you can praise a restaurant's rice pilaf, you know the rest of the food will be delicious. I'd also try Ford's Garage in Hamlin Grove - excellent burgers. And there's a brewery or two in the same shopping area.

Winter Garden Village off 429 (exit 19) is quite extensive. Lots of stores - Lowe's, Super Target, Staples, a pet store or two, Haverty's (furniture), clothing stores, restaurants, etc. And a gas station - important in that there are few in Horizons West. Sadly the Bed, Bath & Beyond is now closed.

At Flamingo Crossings, there's a smaller Target, geared towards college students as the WDW College Program is across the street, Starbucks, a Ben & Jerry's, Firehouse Subs, 5 Guys and a pizza place. Along with Walgreens. And a UPS store with DISNEY hours (stays open later) for those Amazon returns.

There's a newer Publix and Walmart off of New Independence Parkway. Walmart is where I buy gas these days, until the Wawa opens.

Over in the part of Windermere behind the Magic Kingdom, there are several neighborhoods of both townhouses and homes. I looked there but nothing was available at the time. There's a Publix and other stores at Lakeside Village Center in that area, along with a gas station right next to the MK employee parking lot.

I noticed the Urban Air in Hamlin looks close to opening. I'm sure my grandkids will enjoy it, once they are old enough.

Other than the crummy cell phone service in Horizons West, I really enjoy this area. Lots to do, good shopping and 10 minutes from the parking lots of all 4 parks. And I can see, along with hear, the MK fireworks from my townhouse.

I'm down here until July 6th, when I'll be returning to Tally. My roof is getting replaced the following week.

Last edited:

Laura

Premium Member
@LAKid53 hit all the major shopping spots around Disney I would recommend to see as a local (Flamingo crossings, Hamlin, and Winter Garden Village).

Definitely check out the Reams Road/Seidel Road/Avalon Road area for an endless supply of neighborhoods and new construction so close to Disney you can taste it.

All of the above we must hit up at least twice a week as locals. On top of theme parks which we also hit up at least twice a week. 😂

Downtown Winter Garden and Downtown Clermont are both excellent spots to wander, eat, drink, and get ice cream in the evening.

When you drive into Clermont on 50 you’ll pass where they are building Costco and developing more stuff…and continuing on to the west you’ll see most of the major stores and restaurants Clermont has. The rest of the stores and restaurants are south on 27. Or if you continue west on 50 you’ll reach Downtown Clermont.

When we are not at theme parks we basically spend all our time on these roads I very poorly colored red with my finger. 😂

IMG_2634.jpeg

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 hit all the major shopping spots around Disney I would recommend to see as a local (Flamingo crossings, Hamlin, and Winter Garden Village).

Definitely check out the Reams Road/Seidel Road/Avalon Road area for an endless supply of neighborhoods and new construction so close to Disney you can taste it.

All of the above we must hit up at least twice a week as locals. On top of theme parks which we also hit up at least twice a week. 😂

Downtown Winter Garden and Downtown Clermont are both excellent spots to wander, eat, drink, and get ice cream in the evening.

When you drive into Clermont on 50 you’ll pass where they are building Costco and developing more stuff…and continuing on to the west you’ll see most of the major stores and restaurants Clermont has. The rest of the stores and restaurants are south on 27. Or if you continue west on 50 you’ll reach Downtown Clermont.

When we are not at theme parks we basically spend all our time on these roads I very poorly colored red with my finger. 😂

View attachment 723498

My god, the construction along Avalon. And I was gone for just a month....

But the Publix at the entrance to Waterleigh looks close to completion. Now just waiting for Wawa.

So I will be able to get to the Costco in Clermont if I take the exit for 50 off the Turnpike? That's better than 429 to the Turnpike to I-4 to get to the one at Millennia...I can stop on the way down.

Laura

Premium Member
My god, the construction along Avalon. And I was gone for just a month....

But the Publix at the entrance to Waterleigh looks close to completion. Now just waiting for Wawa.

So I will be able to get to the Costco in Clermont if I take the exit for 50 off the Turnpike? That's better than 429 to the Turnpike to I-4 to get to the one at Millennia...I can stop on the way down.
Yup. It’s not far from the Clermont turnpike exit at all. Just don’t go at rush hour and it will be smooth sailing.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
The food at Bosphorus was very good. When you can praise a restaurant's rice pilaf, you know the rest of the food will be delicious. I'd also try Ford's Garage in Hamlin Grove - excellent burgers. And there's a brewery or two in the same shopping area.

Winter Garden Village off 429 (exit 19) is quite extensive. Lots of stores - Lowe's, Super Target, Staples, a pet store or two, Haverty's (furniture), clothing stores, restaurants, etc. And a gas station - important in that there are few in Horizons West. Sadly the Bed, Bath & Beyond is now closed.

At Flamingo Crossings, there's a smaller Target, geared towards college students as the WDW College Program is across the street, Starbucks, a Ben & Jerry's, Firehouse Subs, 5 Guys and a pizza place. Along with Walgreens. And a UPS store with DISNEY hours (stays open later) for those Amazon returns.

There's a newer Publix and Walmart off of New Independence Parkway. Walmart is where I buy gas these days, until the Wawa opens.

Over in the part of Windermere behind the Magic Kingdom, there are several neighborhoods of both townhouses and homes. I looked there but nothing was available at the time. There's a Publix and other stores at Lakeside Village Center in that area, along with a gas station right next to the MK employee parking lot.

I noticed the Urban Air in Hamlin looks close to opening. I'm sure my grandkids will enjoy it, once they are old enough.

Other than the crummy cell phone service in Horizons West, I really enjoy this area. Lots to do, good shopping and 10 minutes from the parking lots of all 4 parks. And I can see, along with hear, the MK fireworks from my townhouse.

I'm down here until July 6th, when I'll be returning to Tally. My roof is getting replaced the following week.

This is awesome info. Plan on doing quite a bit of wandering with the GPS turned off - just seeing what there is to see. If you want us to check on your roof, we will be there the 9th-16th of July. And if you leave some beers in the fridge, we will liberate them for you! 😜. Our daughter is planning to do the CP next summer so I'm sure we will get to know Flamingo Crossing quite well - plus when I've come down with my students, we stayed at the Springhill Suites right there (and I'll be there with 100 kids in January). But, yes, that area is definitely geared toward the CP kids!

View attachment 723498

That's some solid finger outlining, that is. I think we drove down Reams Rd. on our last visit when we had a little time to kill before heading to the airport and noted a LOT of new construction. Definitely will check that area out. Our main goal is get at least slightly off the standard tourist paths (which we know pretty well) and both of you are super helpful with all of this!!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yup. It’s not far from the Clermont turnpike exit at all. Just don’t go at rush hour and it will be smooth sailing.

I usually leave by 9 AM, so it would be close to noon when I'd hit the exit for 50. I should wave at your Gator daughter as I pass UF on I-75. 😄

Now, if I could figure out how to get from 50 to Avalon, I'd not have to get back on the Turnpike.

Lilofan

I ate at Bosphorous and its very good. The waiter told me years ago , the Orlando Magic had a player from Turkey , Hedo who ate in the location several times a month during the season since the food reminded him from back home.

LAKid53

Premium Member
If you want us to check on your roof, we will be there the 9th-16th of July. And if you leave some beers in the fridge, we will liberate them for you! 😜

While there's lots of beer in the fridge in the townhouse, it's the roof on my Tally house that getting replaced. It was due, but the storms that came through my part of the Panhandle at the end of April, spawning several tornadoes, that caused some damage. The winds were strong enough that a piece of a branch no longer than say 8 inches and about an inch in diameter not only punched a hole in the shingles, but the roof decking. Which I didn't discover until the following week when I returned to find the ceiling in the master bedroom closet stained. And before I could get it looked at, we got more heavy rains. Needless to say, I now have a new ceiling in the closet, it's repainted and I'll be getting new flooring when I get back.

@Laura, I looked at the LVP, but the engineered wood was, believe it or not, cheaper and closely matched the existing wood in the rat of the house.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This is my biggest fear with my plan of retiring near WDW, I originally moved to Las Vegas because it was my vacation spot and I loved it, I still enjoy living here but very rarely do I go near the Strip for anything but work and when friends are in town. I’d hate for WDW to become a place I also avoid because it’s lost its appeal from familiarity.

This is a big reason I’ve debated whether Tampa (or another area within a couple hours away) makes more sense, close enough to visit when I feel like it but not so close I tire of it and just associate it with too much traffic and too many people.

I love the rural North Carolina / Tennessee areas but a 10 hour drive is too far away and I don’t want to deal with airports, a 2-3 hour drive is my limit, which pretty much limits the search to Florida.

My other fear is how quickly it’s growing, I like the more rural suburban areas and there’s not many left in FL, I’ve been leaning towards Clermont and even Winter Haven but they’re both being quickly absorbed into the metro area.
We'll be building a house in north Florida near Lake City. Just a few hours from WDW and it's a rural suburban area. The cost of homes is a lot better there as well. What we are planning to build would be $200k more in Central Florida than where we are building when you factor in the lot and all, and we'll have a full acre lot for our house.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is a big reason I’ve debated whether Tampa (or another area within a couple hours away) makes more sense, close enough to visit when I feel like it but not so close I tire of it and just associate it with too much traffic and too many people.

Tampa has lots of people and the commute on I-4 to Orlando is a nightmare.

Few places in Florida, especially South Florida, are rural anymore. Only the Panhandle region isn't overcrowded.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We'll be building a house in north Florida near Lake City. Just a few hours from WDW and it's a rural suburban area. The cost of homes is a lot better there as well. What we are planning to build would be $200k more in Central Florida than where we are building when you factor in the lot and all, and we'll have a full acre lot for our house.

We'll be neighbors, kinda. 😉

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster

Might be a bit further than we would like to be. We do plan to work 'retirement jobs' in the tourism industry (possibly with the Mouse). And we definitely don't need an acre of land. That's what we've had the last 23 years and... well, I'm just kinda sick of taking care of that much. We do want a yard (and ideally a pool), but want to downsize both lot and house (almost 4000 square feet - no need for that with just the two of us, a couple cats, and a piano). Very curious what the market will look like in 2 years when we actually hope to make the move...

LAKid53

Premium Member
Might be a bit further than we would like to be. We do plan to work 'retirement jobs' in the tourism industry (possibly with the Mouse). And we definitely don't need an acre of land. That's what we've had the last 23 years and... well, I'm just kinda sick of taking care of that much. We do want a yard (and ideally a pool), but want to downsize both lot and house (almost 4000 square feet - no need for that with just the two of us, a couple cats, and a piano). Very curious what the market will look like in 2 years when we actually hope to make the move...

Should be better. 🤞

I'm with you. I have nearly an acre up north, but my little bit of greenery with the townhouse is perfectly fine. And I don't have to mow, edge, weed, mulch or anything else.

Many communities have a pool, so you're not responsible for the maintenance and upkeep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom