Little Mermaid to receive Updates?

Bairstow

Dispense with these formulas to create what exactly? a completely sanitized and saccharine experience?

Not necessarily. You have to keep in mind hat originally the concept of a dark ride was only thought of being useful for showing a series of pop-up gags and scares. Peter Pan's Flight, though not nearly as traditional a Laff-in-the-Dark as Snow White, was fairly unusual when it opened with Disneyland because it sought to tell a condensed, scare-less story, much as mermaid did, and not rely on shock scares. Since then, Disney and others have experiemented with using dark rides to tell narrative stories, introduce educational information, or just to tell jokes. The previously-held convention that dark rides needed to be scary has given way to a more interesting art form.

Like every journey, a ride experience can have a little of everything... If their were no scary villains in Disney stories would they be endearing or interesting... Cinderella would just be a princess that married a prince, Snow White and her adorable stepmother would have sung and danced together while waiting for her prince...
it is through darkness that we can see light....
and the scare makes the fun more enjoyable...

Again, the concept of a dark ride that doesn't rely on shock scares is at least as old as Disneyland.

...and if all the classic EPCOT dark rides like World of Motion or Horizons had had villains somehow inserted into them, I doubt this would have improved them in any way.

Bocabear

Not necessarily. You have to keep in mind hat originally the concept of a dark ride was only thought of being useful for showing a series of pop-up gags and scares. Peter Pan's Flight, though not nearly as traditional a Laff-in-the-Dark as Snow White, was fairly unusual when it opened with Disneyland because it sought to tell a condensed, scare-less story, much as mermaid did, and not rely on shock scares. Since then, Disney and others have experiemented with using dark rides to tell narrative stories, introduce educational information, or just to tell jokes. The previously-held convention that dark rides needed to be scary has given way to a more interesting art form.

Again, the concept of a dark ride that doesn't rely on shock scares is at least as old as Disneyland.

...and if all the classic EPCOT dark rides like World of Motion or Horizons had had villains somehow inserted into them, I doubt this would have improved them in any way.

I know and understand the history of the Dark Ride...I was talking about telling the story of The Little Mermaid... I understand not all dark rides need to have a Shock Scare... Especially when we are talking about EPCOT...But even Peter Pan has a bit of a pirate battle...and resolves with hook fending off The Croc...So even Peter Pan has it's moments... Small World would be a better example of a completely benign Dark Ride...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know and understand the history of the Dark Ride...I was talking about telling the story of The Little Mermaid... I understand not all dark rides need to have a Shock Scare... Especially when we are talking about EPCOT...But even Peter Pan has a bit of a pirate battle...and resolves with hook fending off The Croc...So even Peter Pan has it's moments... Small World would be a better example of a completely benign Dark Ride...
Small World benign? That song can be maddening playing over and over and over... I heard the CIA replaced water boarding with a simple boom box playing the song over and over again.

Fox&Hound

Dispense with these formulas to create what exactly? a completely sanitized and saccharine experience? Like every journey, a ride experience can have a little of everything... If their were no scary villains in Disney stories would they be endearing or interesting... Cinderella would just be a princess that married a prince, Snow White and her adorable stepmother would have sung and danced together while waiting for her prince...
it is through darkness that we can see light....
and the scare makes the fun more enjoyable...

Wow- that's really deep! I love me some Ursula and the epic ending. I was not insinuating they should not do it due to the scare factor, I just doubted they would. Then again,Hopper in the tree of life could scare plenty of kids. And Stitch and his foul burb scares most adults. So, maybe anything goes???

Admiral01

Premium Member
Rode TLM last night at DCA. What a difference lighting changes can make! So much better.
image.jpg

Admiral01

Premium Member
It really did make a huge difference. It felt more like the way I expected it to feel the first time I rode at DCA on opening day. No longer did I notice the ceiling tiles in the Under the Sea scene.

The line was 1.5 hours long there on opening day, and I think we all walked off the ride wishing it felt a little more, um, better...for lack of a better word. This really helped. The ending is still way too abrupt, but that is a more major thing to fix. Lighting, however, and paint, seem like they are relatively straight forward. WDW should definitely "volunteer" for this update. I was surprised by the people standing in line with me who wanted to see the updated lighting on the ride. It had a longer wait then normal for DCA. It is typically walk-on, and the line last night (on a Monday night at 7 PM in Anaheim) was closer to 10 or 15 min.

TLM certainly isn't the best ride ever, but it is cute, and feels classic already. The lighting certainly helps that classic feeling.

CTXRover

I had the opportunity to ride the DCA version last week and agree that the lighting changes suprisingly made a huge difference. The under the sea room feels much larger and grand as the ceiling and walls are no longer so obvious and your attention is directed towards the figures that surround you. The change in Ariel's hair when 'above water' is subtle, but also adds a bit more quality to the figures. Hoping they can re-do ours too.

Fox&Hound

Come on Disney. Stop calling it a Disney experience and have your commercials advertise WDW and DL like they are one park if you're unwilling to at least do the same upgrades on both coasts!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom