Lens choice for trip

whoiscliffwang

Original Poster
I'd say that's all you need... also, I've owned and since sold the 70-200VRII. I paid 2300 cash and sold it for 2000 cash after using it for two years, it holds it values. What's your intended use though? It's a pretty strange lens, I loved it as it is the fastest Af lens in the Nikon universe but man... talk about heavy and cumbersome? It weighs 3 lbs.

I just received my 70-200 f/2.8. It is quite heavy as you have previously mentioned. I think the only days I will lug it around is at AK and DHS (for shows). That being said, the autofocus is incredibly fast, much faster than the 70-300 VR.

thomas998

swapping the 70-300 for the 70-200 f/2.8... had a deal I couldn't pass up on today. Hopefully have it by early next week.

You will be better off with that one for the Kilimanjaro shots. The 70-300 was a bit slow and as I recall the last time I rode that it was bumpier than I thought it would be and those bumps never wanted to cooperate with the times I was trying to get a photo.... PS. Don't get your expectation up too high for the animals you'll see, if you do you'll likely be disappointed.

whoiscliffwang

Original Poster
I used the 70-300 on my D7000 last time I was there. Got some good shots but the Af was a tad slow as you had mentioned. I usually have some good luck every time I've been on KS so hopefully this time will be the same.

whoiscliffwang

Original Poster
Allen, How did you like the 24-70mm on your last trip?
We'll be there for the F&G Festival next month and it will be my first time with a full frame body - Nikon D610.
I'll have the Nikon 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 as a walk-around. In my bag will be the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 UWA and the Nikon 50 f/1.8G. I'm thinking of renting a 24-70 f/2.8 just to try it out for size.

Allen C

Allen, How did you like the 24-70mm on your last trip?

I actually rented the Tamron version of the 24-70. Mounted on a D600 the Tamron has the same exact DxOMark score as the Nikon - both score a 27. Mounted on the D800 the Tamron scores a 29 compared to the Nikon's 28.
http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Tamr...SP-24-70mm-f-2.8-Di-VC-USD-versus-competition

I was definitely impressed with the Tamron and I think this could be my next lens purchase. I might try out the Nikon version before I make a decision.

The Nikon 14-24 was in a class all its own.

PhotoDave219

I just received my 70-200 f/2.8. It is quite heavy as you have previously mentioned. I think the only days I will lug it around is at AK and DHS (for shows). That being said, the autofocus is incredibly fast, much faster than the 70-300 VR.

Okay. Thats not horribly heavy.

Now I photographed the NCAA opening rounds here in Orlando. Six games over 2 days. The way I shoot, I have the 70-200 on one body and a 300/4 on a second one for the opposite end of the court action. You switch cameras every possession. The camera is almost always up. Pick camera up, switch. Repeat. Turnover, switch faster, repeat. Do that for six games.

My arm wants to fall off now.

whoiscliffwang

Original Poster
Did you rent te 14-24? I'm thinkin of renting that next time before I buy it. I bought the 16-35 f/4 and I like it a lot but I want to try the 14-24 too. Definetly going to keep the 16-35 though either way.

I heard VERY good reviews of the 24-70 from tamron. And for the price, you can't beat it. Also doesn't have the design flaws of the nikon 24-70s

Allen C

Did you rent te 14-24? I'm thinkin of renting that next time before I buy it. I bought the 16-35 f/4 and I like it a lot but I want to try the 14-24 too. Definetly going to keep the 16-35 though either way.

I heard VERY good reviews of the 24-70 from tamron. And for the price, you can't beat it. Also doesn't have the design flaws of the nikon 24-70s

I own the 14-24 and I think you'll be blown away by it.

Mounted on a D800 the 14-24 scores a 28 on DxOMark while the 16-35 scores a 23:
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...mm-f-4G-ED-VR-on-Nikon-D800___813_792_373_792

whoiscliffwang

Original Poster
Tokina made a 16-28 f/2.8. I am contemplating but i think I may just cry once-buy once with the 14-24mm. (if you don't count the 16-35 f/4)

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
My lens kit:

10-22 f3.5/IS
24-105 f4/IS
70-200 f2.8

If I can only choose one I would take my 24-105 f4/IS for the range.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom