Lens choice for trip

whoiscliffwang

Original Poster
Just wondering what lenses you guys bring to the parks if you're staying all day. My next trip is 9 days away and I'm already starting to pack my photo gear!

Allen C

We'll be there for the F&G Festival next month and it will be my first time with a full frame body - Nikon D610.
I'll have the Nikon 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 as a walk-around. In my bag will be the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 UWA and the Nikon 50 f/1.8G. I'm thinking of renting a 24-70 f/2.8 just to try it out for size.

whoiscliffwang

Original Poster
Im thinking of bringing the 24-70, 16-35, and 50mm f/1.8 for dark rides.
70-300mm would be nice for DAK for Kilamanjaro.

I am kind of torn between bringing both the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 16-35 f/4 since they overlap in range. Maybe I should have just gotten the bigger 14-24. But then I can't use filters.

maxairmike

Im thinking of bringing the 24-70, 16-35, and 50mm f/1.8 for dark rides.
70-300mm would be nice for DAK for Kilamanjaro.

I am kind of torn between bringing both the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 16-35 f/4 since they overlap in range. Maybe I should have just gotten the bigger 14-24. But then I can't use filters.

Bring the 70-300 for your day at DAK, you'll probably be kicking yourself if it is a good day and you don't, otherwise you probably don't "need" it for the other parks.

ddbowdoin

You could also challenge yourself with a single prime... I love doing things like that, I shot an entire DLR trip with a 50mm 1.8

NowInc

It also comes down to what types of shots are you trying to get? Typically I bring 1 ultrawide, a fisheye (shh..i know. I dont use it as much as youd think), and a prime. Switching lenses all day can be a pain if youre trying to enjoy yourself :) Map out what types of shots you want and plan accordingly!

whoiscliffwang

Original Poster
Now im contemplating whether I should have both the 16-35 and the 24-70, or just one or the other.

Id like to minimize lens changes, thus carrying less gear.

ddbowdoin

Now im contemplating whether I should have both the 16-35 and the 24-70, or just one or the other.

Id like to minimize lens changes, thus carrying less gear.

DSLR lenses are massive man... I am no engineer but it's amazing the difference in optics. Unfortunately, Leica is big $$$

D3S_7705-vs-canon-17-40mm.jpg

ddbowdoin

Definitely, this is my first trip using a FF camera. The 24-70 is huge compared to my 18-105 kit lens.
I'd say that's all you need... also, I've owned and since sold the 70-200VRII. I paid 2300 cash and sold it for 2000 cash after using it for two years, it holds it values. What's your intended use though? It's a pretty strange lens, I loved it as it is the fastest Af lens in the Nikon universe but man... talk about heavy and cumbersome? It weighs 3 lbs.

whoiscliffwang

Original Poster
Ive been dabbling in event photography here and there doing stuff for family and friends back home. I'd really like to start shooting weddings, even as a second shooter.

ddbowdoin

Ive been dabbling in event photography here and there doing stuff for family and friends back home. I'd really like to start shooting weddings, even as a second shooter.

That is how I started... second shooting is a great place to start. Just make sure that whoever you work with that they allow you to use some of your own images for marketing purposes. Some photographers have handed me a memory card and then collected at the end of the night. I'd prefer to shoot, go home and edit my work and deliver that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom