Largest test to date of MyMagic+ will use all features including guest use of the MagicBand

flynnibus

Premium Member
One concern I have (among many) about this system is that it seems it will slow down the FP/Standby merge point of rides. Right now an efficient CM and competent guest can take a party's FP tickets and get them to the final portion of the line without stopping the party. Now, each guest will have to stop at one of two FP readers and scan their wristbands. Seems like it's gonna be a lot slower and prevent the line from moving smoothly. We'll see.

razorwire between the queues would fix the problem ;)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
If they are reducing the number of FPs at rides that have FP already BUT adding it to new rides, shows, parades, fireworks and dining they may be giving out the same amount of FPs but spread out over more locations HOPEFULLY bringing down the SB lines over all in the parks.

dadddio

I'mnot seeing the benefit of reducing the number of FPs per ride. I'm also having trouble squaring this with the reports from earlier in the year that they were increasing the number of per ride FPs.

Jeffxz

The day-of FP+ will be electronic, tagged to your band or RFID ticket. Don't know if it will be possible to do both or not yet. I would expect if it is possible that it will be a limited time window.

Articos, knowing as much as you do now about Fastpass+, what are your feelings on how it is going to work out? Do you think this will improve the expierience of the first time vacationer? How about the WDW regulars? In your opinion, is there any scenario where they would consider FP+ a failure and just dump it?

lazyboy97o

If they are reducing the number of FPs at rides that have FP already BUT adding it to new rides, shows, parades, fireworks and dining they may be giving out the same amount of FPs but spread out over more locations HOPEFULLY bringing down the SB lines over all in the parks.
This also means Stand By lines at many other attractions must increase. People need to see a value in getting a FastPass for "it's a small world" or The Haunted Mansion.

Tinkerbell 8

I'm a huge fan of planning, I'm very OCD about it, which is a very good and also a very bad thing. However, I am not at all a fan of this FP+ thing. I know I haven't used it yet, but it just doesn't seem like its going to work out the way they wanted or hoped for. I think they will have a lot of very angry first time visitors who didn't know they had to reserve their spot for PPF 180 days before their trip and now little Bobby didn't get a chance to ride it because it had a constant 3 hour wait. Or you'll have the people complaining that they wasted one of their 3 FP on COP, not realizing its always a walk on attraction. I do think that it might make it a little better for the more popular attractions for the standby lines, but its also going to increase the standby lines on less popular attractions, making people more angry. I go to Disney to experience everything, the shows, attractions, and just the atmosphere, yes I enjoy planning my ADR's and deciding which park to visit on which day, but I do not want to sit here and try to figure out at exactly what time on which day I want to ride Splash Mountain. The whole reason for a vacation is to relax and enjoy spending time with your friends/family. I'm hoping that they won't be using this system in November so I can enjoy one last vacation before all hell breaks loose.

articos

Articos, knowing as much as you do now about Fastpass+, what are your feelings on how it is going to work out? Do you think this will improve the expierience of the first time vacationer? How about the WDW regulars? In your opinion, is there any scenario where they would consider FP+ a failure and just dump it?
Will answer later today or tomorrow. Standby, please. I don't think there's any chance Disney will consider it a failure or not move forward.

ajbidwell

This may have been addressed (and if so, I apologize), but is there any restriction of the three rides you can choose? I remember a previous test has categories and that guests could pick one from group A, one from group B, and so on. In the more current test are there any such groupings?

tissandtully

Disney released an update today to the MyDisney Experience App, I'm guessing in preparation for this test, the details for the update are:
o8l9EaQ.png

I will note that the option to scan passes doesn't work for AP, nor does it support adding AP to your affiliations. Not sure when the heck they are going to get around to that, it sucks I can't access the Passholder site because I have a newer AP :(

Jeffxz

Will answer later today or tomorrow. Standby, please. I don't think there's any chance Disney will consider it a failure or not move forward.

Agreed, there is no chance of Disney aborting MyMagic+. They are taking this baby into the air at any cost.

@articos - Thanks, I'll look forward to your response.

I also agree that MyMagic+ is here to stay, the tapstiles / room keys / interactive expierences / magic bands / tap to pay etc. all seem like improvements to me and there is no easy way out of these. I'm referring specifically to the FastPass+ portion. Under what circumstances (if any) do they consider this a failure and drop it?

tissandtully

surprise, surprise. What once never had more than a 20 minute wait will now have hour long [standby] waits.

Uh, Pirates has had plenty of over 20 minute waits without FP. I went during the slow time at the end of April and it had a 50-minute wait in the middle of the day. I think we should wait for more data before we start analyzing.

Tom Morrow

Its extremely rare for Pirates to have higher than approx. 20 minutes. Source: I know people that work there.

Either way, a ride's capacity doesn't change, no matter how many lines are feeding into it. By creating two lines and giving priority to ONE of those lines, it can ONLY increase the standby line's wait time.

dadddio

This also means Stand By lines at many other attractions must increase. People need to see a value in getting a FastPass for "it's a small world" or The Haunted Mansion.
That isn't necessarily correct. A change in the perception of what a long line is because FPs are easier to obtain would increase demand for FPs.

Tom Morrow

While we don't know how many people will actually have Fastpass+, people tend to make that assumption based on the current Fastpass model. But what people don't realize is that, since at least 75% of the ride's capacity is devoted to the Fastpass line, when you get in a standby line, more people than would even be possible are riding before you than if there were only one line for everyone.

Lets say you queue up for something in the standby line and there are 1,000 people in front of you. If that was the only line, this is a set number of people ahead of you in line. It can't change. With an additional Fastpass line that takes (at a minimum) 75% of the ride's capacity, an indefinite number of people are riding before you in addition to the people who are physically in front of you in the standby line. Basically, the number of people that enter and ride before you due to having priority through using the Fastpass line is higher than would ever even be possible with only one line.

Food for thought: Expedition Everest has almost as high of a capacity as an omnimover. The only reason it has hour long waits compared to something like Spaceship Earth... is Fastpass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom