Large crane now in Fantasyland for expansion

jt04

"land" = "Fantasyland". I'll re-phrase it to say, "Much of the new Fantasyland acreage will consist of LM and BatB."

The area occupied by the entire LM attraction is roughly 53,900 square feet (approx 1.24 acres). The area occupied by BatB (including the little bridge and moat, up to the new primary bridge) is roughly 73,100 square feet (approx 1.68 acres). The usable land in the middle where the MnGs were going to go (excluding what is currently proposed to be the new moat) is roughly 61,900 square feet (approx 1.42 acres).

So, the "leftover" land is halfway between LM and BatB in size. Substantial? Yes, but still only about 1/3 of the Phase 1 total area. It's definitely big enough to house another attraction the size of LM (including it's outdoor queue, rockwork, moat, etc).

Very interesting stats, and they do make sense. There is another way to look at it though. Both LM and BatB's footprints will have a substantial portion that is backstage and therefore unthemed.

So to take it a step further, whatever goes into the Cindy/Aurora space will involve substantially more on stage theming than LM or BatB. That is why I have expressed the opinion this area could indeed be a Potter Swatter should they choose. You are not only talking about a footprint similar to the Philharmagic/PPF/HoP complex but they could build multi-levels also if they decide to place the mine train (ride portion) at utilidor level. Because the complex will be built "in the round" there would be space for multiple attractions, shops and eateries. It could be built on three levels and still not throw off the scale of the expansion. If I were them I'd build it big even if some of the spaces were not utilized for years. It could be one of the best venues WDI has ever created with little financial risk.

Tom

Beta Return
Very interesting stats, and they do make sense. There is another way to look at it though. Both LM and BatB's footprints will have a substantial portion that is backstage and therefore unthemed.

So to take it a step further, whatever goes into the Cindy/Aurora space will involve substantially more on stage theming than LM or BatB. That is why I have expressed the opinion this area could indeed be a Potter Swatter should they choose. You are not only talking about a footprint similar to the Philharmagic/PPF/HoP complex but they could build multi-levels also if they decide to place the mine train (ride portion) at utilidor level. Because the complex will be built "in the round" there would be space for multiple attractions, shops and eateries. It could be built on three levels and still not throw off the scale of the expansion. If I were them I'd build it big even if some of the spaces were not utilized for years. It could be one of the best venues WDI has ever created with little financial risk.

You're right, I did include all of the backstage and unthemed areas in my calculations (which I scaled right off of the site plans).

And yes, the unclaimed area will require 360-degrees of theming. A building is going to be difficult to build there without it throwing everything off and blocking the view of LM and BatB completely, especially if it were just another warehouse like the rest of the show buildings.

We can see how tall the LM building is going to be, just to be able to accommodate a ride. I can't imagine how imposing a show building would be out in the middle of FL. They would actually need to "submerge" it some, and that's just to accommodate one ride...in my estimation.

cbconglom

ole samuele has some more pics for us.. thanks!!
ao15jn.jpg

more here
http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2010/09/small-update-on-magic-kingdom.html#more

jt04

You're right, I did include all of the backstage and unthemed areas in my calculations (which I scaled right off of the site plans).

And yes, the unclaimed area will require 360-degrees of theming. A building is going to be difficult to build there without it throwing everything off and blocking the view of LM and BatB completely, especially if it were just another warehouse like the rest of the show buildings.

We can see how tall the LM building is going to be, just to be able to accommodate a ride. I can't imagine how imposing a show building would be out in the middle of FL. They would actually need to "submerge" it some, and that's just to accommodate one ride...in my estimation.

Yes "submerged" to utilidor level. The bottom level could contain 1 attraction as rumored, the MK level could have 1 or 2 and the top floor (similar to the castle) could house a restaurant and retail.

Blocking the view of BatB and LM would be the idea. The back of the complex, facing those lands, could be themed to them. So you would have a more immersive World Showcase feel to them and create true "lands".

Again, this has been done nearby with the HoP, PPF configuration. Same building complex containing completely different themes.

I'm just thinking that if they really want to respond to TWWOHP than this is a great opportunity to do so. And I think something like this is possible as they redesign the area.

Lee

Adventurer
Do you know what the theme for the roof will be or is that yet to be decided?
I am unaware of any change being made to the theme of the roof. It'll likely look the same or very similar

Lee, so when are they announcing Snow White?

I can't wait to see the concept art :D
No idea, and yes, art would be good.

Yes "submerged" to utilidor level. The bottom level could contain 1 attraction as rumored, the MK level could have 1 or 2 and the top floor (similar to the castle) could house a restaurant and retail.
Pure armchair imagineering right there...and not going to happen.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I am unaware of any change being made to the theme of the roof. It'll likely look the same or very similar

Yep its a last moment maintenance issue that forced the refurb, not a theme change.

NoChesterHester

No idea, and yes, art would be good.

Pure armchair imagineering right there...and not going to happen.

Lee, do you know if the construction walls at the Speedway are related at all? I was there this past week and the walls make that part of the speedway like a tunnel.

I thankfully got to take a spin with my daughter on the Teacups the night before it closed. The Queen of Hearts was also on in full garb.

NoChesterHester

WOW!!! They really are moving now. I really think it could open by the 40th seeing as the roof is going on and the 40th is slightly over a year away.

Thanks for the pic!

The steel is progressing quickly. I noticed some progress every single day last week. The trusses are up, but they are still a ways from being dried in.

They have a long way to go. I'm sure finish-out of an attraction takes much much longer than a typical building.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
WOW!!! They really are moving now. I really think it could open by the 40th seeing as the roof is going on and the 40th is slightly over a year away.

Thanks for the pic!

I think the speed of this part of the construction is deceptive. Right now they are basically building a simple retangular steel box, even simpler the the structure for the DCA LM. Installing the ride system on the interrior, and constructing the themed facade thats going to cover the outside of the building is not going to move along as fast.

Dan

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think the speed of this part of the construction is deceptive. Right now they are basically building a simple retangular steel box, even simpler the the structure for the DCA LM. Installing the ride system on the interrior, and constructing the themed facade thats going to cover the outside of the building is not going to move along as fast.

Dan

Many times in construction the "rough-in" work can be the quickest.....

Tom

Beta Return

Dan

Precisely!

The "shell" goes up fast. Then it will appear to sit for a year or more. We'll see exterior work, but for the rest of the time people will claim that "nothing is happening".

If they can finish that building, and the ride inside, and get it tested and the new CMs trained in 1 year, I will be extremely surprised.

BatB is still in its below-grade phase, but it will go a little quicker because they're not building an entire ride - just a couple of restaurants, which are simple compared to many types of facilities.

Tom

Beta Return
Not sure if this has been commented on yet but after looking at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbm0QFVSdao
It looks like there are 4 cranes and one of them is in front of the Dirt Hill Ride.
Could be there for moving dirt? Could be creating mine shafts for Dwarves?

I wish!

The big crane out front is likely just being staged there until the steel for BatB is delivered, or to assist with the next phase of concrete form work at BatB. It may also be assisting with storm sewers.

Cranes don't move dirt (often), but they have been known to build mine rides :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom