Knott's Berry Farm (Cedar Fair) and Magic Mountain (Six Flags) Merging

TP2000

Original Poster
Well, this would make things more interesting in the SoCal theme park environment. I can't think of another US metro area that has both a Cedar Fair property (Knott's Berry Farm) and a Six Flags property (Magic Mountain), can you?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, this would make things more interesting in the SoCal theme park environment. I can't think of another US metro area that has both a Cedar Fair property (Knott's Berry Farm) and a Six Flags property (Magic Mountain), can you?

Cleveland had one for a hot minute around 2000…cedar point a half an hour from the combined Geauga lake/sea world

…it collapsed rather quickly when six flags got into trouble.

Emmanuel

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/11/02/cedar-fair-six-flags-merger/71418970007/

Details

Richard Zimmeran the CEO of Cedar Fair becomes the CEO of the new company. Selim Bassoul CEO of Six Flags becomes Executive Chairman of the board of directors

Cedar Fair Shareholders will own 51.2% of the company. Six Flags shareholders will have 48.8%

The combined company will retain the rights to the franchises at both parks (DC, Loony Toons and Peanuts)

Headquarters will be in NC but will maintain a presence in Sandusky where Cedar Fairs HQ is at

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/02/investing/six-flags-cedar-fair-merging/index.html

Deal will close in the first half of 2024. Merged company will be under the Six Flags name but trade under the Cedar Fairs FUN name in the stock market

PiratesMansion

Other examples of overlapping markets:
-Six Flags America and Kings Dominion
-Six Flags Great Adventure and Dorney Park
-Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and California's Great America

As a fan of regional parks, this is devastating news.

Consumer

BUST THE TRUST
1698946390271.png

TP2000

Original Poster
I just realized that I forgot we already had a dedicated "All Things Knott's Berry Farm" thread, and this news should have just gone into that thread. Sorry, gang! :banghead:

It's probably best to let this thread die off fast, and continue any discussion to be made over in the Knott's Thread where people are already doing just that...

Consumer

I just realized that I forgot we already had a dedicated "All Things Knott's Berry Farm" thread, and this news should have just gone into that thread. Sorry, gang! :banghead:

It's probably best to let this thread die off fast, and continue any discussion to be made over in the Knott's Thread where people are already doing just that...

Mods need to merge the Knott's and Six Flags threads.

PiratesMansion

Let’s wait, and see if the merger deal is close.
I mean, they outright announced their intent to merge.

Does that mean it will happen? No, there's always an off chance something changes. But what's different is that both companies have announced a collective intent to merge, AND that Cedar Fair, for once, is initiating the merger.

The way CF is structured makes it very difficult for the company to be taken over-as previous merge/hostile takeover attempts have bore out-but the fact that they are the initiators is a significant difference from the past.

So, barring some sudden and significant shifts happening, this is probably a done deal.

SplashJacket

I do wonder a few things, firstly, it's interesting to adopt the Six Flags brand (even if it's more recognizable) because of very low public opinion.

I'm also intrigued to see how this shapes out. Do they try to offload their weaker parks? Both brands are bringing in low-tier, rarely invested parks.

It'll be interesting to see how certain parks (like Six Flags over Georgia) compare to others in the chain. Carowinds is the closest park, but I doubt they compete over the same audience much, so it'll be interesting to see how a park like Carowins (which has gotten a lot of investment) stacks up to the combined investment pot. Then in the cities with two parks, do they try to make them like destinations, bundle park tickets? Or do they make one their premiere park while neglecting the other, Very intrigued to see how it all plays out.

Twilight_Roxas

I mean, they outright announced their intent to merge.

Does that mean it will happen? No, there's always an off chance something changes. But what's different is that both companies have announced a collective intent to merge, AND that Cedar Fair, for once, is initiating the merger.

The way CF is structured makes it very difficult for the company to be taken over-as previous merge/hostile takeover attempts have bore out-but the fact that they are the initiators is a significant difference from the past.

So, barring some sudden and significant shifts happening, this is probably a done deal.
Which is why they have to get approval for the merger since it’s antitrust.

PiratesMansion

I do wonder a few things, firstly, it's interesting to adopt the Six Flags brand (even if it's more recognizable) because of very low public opinion.

I'm also intrigued to see how this shapes out. Do they try to offload their weaker parks? Both brands are bringing in low-tier, rarely invested parks.

It'll be interesting to see how certain parks (like Six Flags over Georgia) compare to others in the chain. Carowinds is the closest park, but I doubt they compete over the same audience much, so it'll be interesting to see how a park like Carowins (which has gotten a lot of investment) stacks up to the combined investment pot. Then in the cities with two parks, do they try to make them like destinations, bundle park tickets? Or do they make one their premiere park while neglecting the other, Very intrigued to see how it all plays out.
Apparently they have said that they don't necessarily intend to just give every park SF branding, but apparently they feel it has value as a recognized brand. CF was a brand basically only known to niche enthusiasts, so I can see why they'd feel an obligation to keep it around in some capacity.

Parks will definitely close as a result of this (this next year will almost certainly be CGA's last season if this goes through, but others too).

Carowinds and SFOG are too far apart for most people to consider them to have an overlapping audience-I'm not even sure there would be that many people would be interested in that combo ticket. 20 years of this hobby has taught me that for most people, known parks that they're interested in boils down to, with only a few exceptions: 1) Disney, 2) Universal, or 3) their local park. Occasionally you'll get a Busch Gardens, a Hersheypark, or a Dollywood, but otherwise, most people simply are not interested in driving hours to other parks when they have one within an hour or so that is a known quantity, whether or not it's one that's much good.

I'm not sure the antitrust will agree, but the argument could be made that there aren't that many parks that have overlapping markets, or that have markets where the overlap of people who would realistically visit both parks is high. The reality is that many people who would go to Knott's wouldn't go to SFMM and vice versa because of traffic/distance/etc. Knott's and SFMM are the closest parks to each other at ~1 hour and 10 minutes away without traffic (ha), so it remains to be seen what will happen. If they are allowed to keep both parks within a given area, they could always do what Merlin has done in the UK, where it owns basically the three London parks and the further-away Alton Towers-Alton Towers gets to be the destination park, Legoland targets the kids, Thorpe the thrill seekers, and Chessington the kids too old for Legoland but not ready for Thorpe. That could work, but I have a hard time picturing that working out the same way in the states.

TP2000

Original Poster

Or, you know, we could just keep this thread going too.

I only go to Knott's Berry Farm for the chicken dumplings and the boysenberry pie at Mrs. Knott's, so what the hell do I care? :cool:

Phroobar

Mods need to merge the Knott's and Six Flags threads.
Knotts doesn't need Six Flags greasy tables.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom