Keeping Kids Busy - Need Suggestions

jeremyg

Original Poster
Hello. We'll be visiting Disney in Feb 2013. I'm trying to get some ideas on places to eat dinner. We will have 3 kids with us and 6 adults. These kids cannot sit still. So I'm looking for restaurants that will keep the kids entertained.

Last year we ate at the castle and was disappointed. The food was OK and the kids menu items were lacking. And for some reason, it just wasn't enough to keep the kids entertained.

So this year we found several places to try and are looking for more options. The first place is the Sci-Fi dine in theater. Looks like that should keep the kids busy. The second place is T-Rex. We've been to the Rainforest Cafe last time, so we wanted to try something different. Our third option is Chef Mickey's, I think the characters should be enough to keep them busy.

Last year we ate at the garden grill and that was a success due to the characters and the scenery.

Are there any others that we should look at? Wish we could find more dinner show type places.

Thanks.

real mad hatter

Maybe a character lunch would be good,plenty to choose from.You've five months to start planning and your 180 day clock is already ticking.:)

Weather_Lady

It depends on how old your kids are and what interests them -- there are live shows at the Biergarten (oom-pah band) and Restaurant Marakkesh (sp?) (belly-dancing) in Epcot, as well as Irish step-dancing at Raglan Road in Downtown Disney, if you time your reservation around the entertainment.

I also like to keep my purse stuffed with crayons, small notepads, and small "table games" to lob at the kids when they start to get antsy. :D

zurgandfriend

Try Whispering canyon cafe your kids should not be bored; T-Rex, rain Forest or one of the character meals should also work. My dear wife used to carry a pocket sized Etch-a-sketch in her bag for when our son got bored. With all the phone/game "apps" now I imagine it's even easier to keep them entertained.

wiigirl

Hmmmm I keep Duck Tape, Velcro, and sedatives with me....

Dramamine....for...uhmm...motion sickness...:p
75.gif

jeremyg

Original Poster
Lol. Benadryl. That will fix that issue.

Thanks for the ideas. The kids are 4,4 and 8.

I actually found three different dinner shows after I posted this. They are little more pricey, but would keep the kids entertained.

Whispering canyon cafe looks interesting. I'll have to check on the reviews for that one.

mbtohill

Been taking our daughters since they were 4 and 2. Beirgarten is great, kids get up and dance when the oompa loompa band plays. For young kids it's perfect, m girls, now 12 and 10 still love going there.

Marakesh is great too with dancing for the kids.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
So this year we found several places to try and are looking for more options. The first place is the Sci-Fi dine in theater. Looks like that should keep the kids busy. The second place is T-Rex. We've been to the Rainforest Cafe last time, so we wanted to try something different. Our third option is Chef Mickey's, I think the characters should be enough to keep them busy.

Last year we ate at the garden grill and that was a success due to the characters and the scenery.

Are there any others that we should look at? Wish we could find more dinner show type places.

Thanks.

I've had the exact same thoughts and concerns at WDW with my two little guys. Here's things that have worked well (in addition to the ones you have chosen, which should all be good)...

Crystal Palace -- The characters come around often and they have some interaction things to get the kids up and moving around. My kids love the Pooh Parade, when they get to follow the characters marching aroudn the restaurant.
Ohana -- Lots of activities, from hula dancing to coconut races (kids push the cocnut with a broom). Plus the food is pretty kid-friendly.
Biergarten -- Lots of room to roam if they just want to do so. Entertainment if you time it right when there's a performance inside.
Whispering Canyon -- It's loud, it's fun, and they almost encourage kids to walk around.
ESPN Club -- Lots of sports on TVs. Of course, that only works if they like sports.
Wishes Dessert Party -- Of course, it isn't dinner, but it's a nice atmosphere, and there's no expectation that anybody will sit the whole time, of course.
California Grill -- This one was a risk, but it worked out well for us. The kids liked watching the MK light up as daylight faded, loved watching the rides spin with the lights on, and then watching the parade and the fireworks from the terrace viewing area. It was a long meal, but they didn't really complain.

Allygator

I bought small figure toys that once out of the package could fit into some sandwich bags that would make it easy to carry around the parks helped. It worked great since the toys were new and still interesting that when we were at an adult restaurant and could just take them out for my daughter to play quietly at the table. They work great too waiting for the parades since you tend to go early to get good seating. As far as fun restaurants, my daughter had fun at 'Ohana and Whispering Canyon Cafe.

MITCH 112198

Ok, my kids can't ever sit still either and they are 8 and 3, when we come to Disney heres our list of places to eat that keep our kids in their seats.
1900 Park Fare
T-rex Lunch
50's Prime Time Cafe lunch
Chef Mickey Dinner
Hoop De Doo review Dinner
Tuskar House Breakfast
Biergarten Dinner

Counter is cosmic rays and POP food court

We tried outside the box last time and tried Tony in the MK, My DS 3 had a mirror behind him at the table and took ranch dressing and smeared it all over the mirror. I offered to clean it up but the waiter said no problem, I have kids too.

cornandacobb

Wait. The menu and 4 crayons is not enough for your kids?

My DD and DS are 12 and 8 now. Also took them at 10/6 and 8/4.
Going this year and will also have a 20 month old.
I never worried about my other kids after my DS was 4.
20 month old will be a challenge. She's pretty good at home but we sometimes have to keep her occupied. I'm hoping she sleeps through a few meals from utter park exhaustion.

jeremyg

Original Poster
My son, who is 4 cannot sit still for anything. Even at home, he can barely watch TV. He's always active and moving about. So sit down dinners weather home or out are always a struggle.

Thanks for the tips. I've now added Ohana to my list of possibles. Looks like a lot of fun and the food looks amazing.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Hmm..sounds like you got a wild crew there. But it looks like you got some options here..
  • Benadryl - not a bad idea but that could put them right to sleep - then you'll be stuck carrying their a$$es around.
  • A hot toddy - definitely will cool their jets a bit but you could get in trouble for giving liqour to a minor.
  • A Ninetendo DS - Ahhh that's kind of expensive.
  • Whispering Canyon...that's the way to go. A bunch of kids running around going apesh*t will not look out of place there. You could constantly ask for ketchup and keep things lively. Other than that stick to ALL Character meals - Mickey and Friends will keep 'em busy and you'll be good to go.

luv

Practice teaching the kids table manners before you go...and book as many character meals as you can. Also Hoop Dee Doo and Mickey's BBQ. T-Rex and RFC aren't bad, either. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom