Kali River Locker Test

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Just saw this up on Orlando Theme Park News stating a new Test about Kali River and guests being forced to use Lockers ala Universal...

From Orlando Theme Park News....
Between September 27 and October 3, 2015, Guests riding Kali River Rapids at Disney's Animal Kingdom will not be permitted to store personal items on their ride vehicle. Guests will be able to use the complimentary lockers located just across from the attraction’s entrance to secure their belongings for the duration of the ride. This test will conclude on October 4, 2015. Starting from that day, Guests may be once again allowed to carry personal belongings on the ride.

IMO I wasn't a big fan about this..And since Universal started this it was much more fustrating having to wait and find a locker...Let's hope this doesn't catch on or it's going to get ugly..

Your Thoughts?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I have mixed opinions on this... my personal preference is to put my stuff in a free locker whenever a free locker is available (especially for a water ride... I prefer to wear sneakers for walking around a park, but will frequently carry a cinch bag with my flip-flops so I can change into those to keep my sneakers dry), however, it's always a mad house trying to get to and from the lockers at Universal (especially the ones where they crammed the lockers inside tiny little enclosed spaces like at Forbidden Journey and Escape from Gringotts). So long as they are only requiring this at the rides where there is a legitimate want/need to store your stuff, I'm fine with it, and (at least in my opinion), there are very few rides at Disney where there currently is a legitimate want/need to store your stuff.

Jon81uk

Universal mainly do it due to the danger of personal items coming off you and hitting other spectators. Disney don't build queues or paths that go under ride track so don't have that issue. Placing items in a locker for water rides at Universal is up to your own personal preferance and they charge for those lockers!

The Kali test sounds like Disney want to try and avoid people saying that the water ruined their phone, or similar issues.

FOH Jim

I Like the idea of lockers for Kali. I often wondered why they haven't done this sooner. I hope they don't make this mandatory for other rides like Uni.I really hated leaving my phone and other valuables in a locker that's security is questionable.

Jon81uk

I Like the idea of lockers for Kali. I often wondered why they haven't done this sooner. I hope they don't make this mandatory for other rides like Uni.I really hated leaving my phone and other valuables in a locker that's security is questionable.

I think they have had lockers at Kali for a while. You just had to pay for them and they weren't mandatory.

Adam N

Universal mainly do it due to the danger of personal items coming off you and hitting other spectators. Disney don't build queues or paths that go under ride track so don't have that issue. Placing items in a locker for water rides at Universal is up to your own personal preferance and they charge for those lockers!

The Kali test sounds like Disney want to try and avoid people saying that the water ruined their phone, or similar issues.
But you have to put your crap away on The Mummy and there's no way your stuff will hit another guest. I love that Disney has the pouches like on SM and EE and 7DMT. But I'm assuming this has to do with people having a phone, an iPad, a DS, a laptop...

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I think they have had lockers at Kali for a while. You just had to pay for them and they weren't mandatory.

Really? I just went in March and used the lockers at Kali but I didn't remember paying for them. I was pretty sure they were free for the first hour or two or something... let it be known though that I could be remembering incorrectly...

psherman42

How is my stuff going to fall out and hit a guest on Mummy or Men in Black? Or even Gringotts? If my stuff is fine on RnRC, it'll be fine on these. The mandatory lockers is one of my least favorite things about Universal.

lnsemsf

How is my stuff going to fall out and hit a guest on Mummy or Men in Black? Or even Gringotts? If my stuff is fine on RnRC, it'll be fine on these. The mandatory lockers is one of my least favorite things about Universal.

A lot of the requirements for putting your items in a locker at Universal are to prevent them from being lost, or to stop them from falling on to the ride track and screwing up the ride. The wanding is done when rides go over public areas to try to stop you from throwing things, or having things fall on people.

psherman42

A lot of the requirements for putting your items in a locker at Universal are to prevent them from being lost, or to stop them from falling on to the ride track and screwing up the ride. The wanding is done when rides go over public areas to try to stop you from throwing things, or having things fall on people.
Right...but none of the rides I mentioned go over public areas where guests are walking. If Disney can manage with adding pouches on attractions like RnRC, Dinosaur, etc., I really don't see why Universal needs lockers. I understand the need for lockers on attractions like Hulk and Rip Rock it and Forbidden Journey. But not for Mummy or Men in Black. It just creates an unnecessary hassle. About the only good thing about them is that their lockers are free, unlike Sea World.

Lucky

It may be partly to speed up getting people seated and seat-belted in the raft. A lot of people stow their things in the middle of the raft while they're still standing, and meanwhile CMs are yelling at them to sit down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom