Juan's Multi-park update with important SM news!

juan

Original Poster
I have to agree. I'm hoping this was a "test" of the method they intend to use to clean all the beams. They used to be part of the futuristic EPCOT themeing, but they've really become something of an eyesore. My last few visits I've wondered why Disney let them get that grungy. A good cleaning will go a long way to improve the visuals in FW.

It looks better in person and it REALLY stands out!
:sohappy:

jt04

It's very encouraging for the outside part of this refurb.

Has Steve spoken about that?:lookaroun:D I have hope!

Not yet, but I agree with him about SM. As much as we complain about all the lost classics, it's no wonder Disney is now reluctant to change anything dramatically. Bottom line is though, once they announced the MK expansion everything with SM started to make sense. As long as they clean the place before it reopens that is.

Space travel shouldn't be dusty.

EPCOT Explorer

Not yet, but I agree with him about SM. As much as we complain about all the lost classics, it's no wonder Disney is now reluctant to change anything dramatically. Bottom line is though, once they announced the MK expansion everything with SM started to make sense. As long as they clean the place before it reopens that is.

:brick::ROFLOL:

What makes you think they would start now, when the butcher everything else, and we actually want great change for this one?:lol:

They certainly didn't do that for DL...

SirGoofy

No, everything with Space Mountain does not make sense. Space's budget was approved long, long before it could have affected Fland.

And Disney changed up Pirates and it became the record holder for most guests ever on a Disney attraction in one month. They changed up HM and people have praised it as the best ride at WDW. They changed up the HoP and people are going crazy about it as well.

jt04

I have to agree. I'm hoping this was a "test" of the method they intend to use to clean all the beams. They used to be part of the futuristic EPCOT themeing, but they've really become something of an eyesore. My last few visits I've wondered why Disney let them get that grungy. A good cleaning will go a long way to improve the visuals in FW.

I'm sure it is a test. Now all they need to do is clean the rest and plus the beams in some way around future world. Hmmm. I have so many ideas! :zipit:

board57796

If it were a "cleaning test" it would make much more sense to do it on an area like the spur line leading to Shop, or at least on an open section of beamway, that isn't so visable to Guests from on-stage. I did notice it the other day while I was at Epcot, I will try to find out today what they did to that section of beam.

hpyhnt 1000

Interesting on the monorail beam... I can't imagine it would be a complete beam segment replacement. There's no way that could've been done in one night's work. It looks like it was pressure cleaned, but if the concrete's smoother... :shrug:

Either way, Disney shoould think about spreading it to the rest of the beamway thats visible within Epcot. :)

Those SM lights are looking pretty neat. Those have always been there, but it looks like they have darkened the panels up a bit. And the red looks kinda new; I seem to remember it more as a pink/purple before. :shrug:

Figment632

I'm sure it is a test. Now all they need to do is clean the rest and plus the beams in some way around future world. Hmmm. I have so many ideas! :zipit:

Yes loads of ideas but this ride isn't going down fir another 5 years at the least maybe even 10.

Here's a question I know this won't work for the audio but couldn't they install DL's lighting effcts third shift at some point?

jt04

No, everything with Space Mountain does not make sense. Space's budget was approved long, long before it could have affected Fland.

And Disney changed up Pirates and it became the record holder for most guests ever on a Disney attraction in one month. They changed up HM and people have praised it as the best ride at WDW. They changed up the HoP and people are going crazy about it as well.

See I think the claim the budgets were not related is not true. Lasseter said FL has been being planned for a long time.

I'm convinced we didn't get the rumored "Lee" SM because the budget was redirected to the expansion of the Magic Kingdom and the new FL.

And the cheers that were heard when the SM project were announced secretly to those who needed to know might have been for the new FL rather than the SM project. Possibly.

Flame away goofy. :lol:

WDW Vacationer

See I think the claim the budgets were not related is not true. Lasseter said FL has been being planned for a long time.

I'm convinced we didn't get the rumored "Lee" SM because the budget was redirected to the expansion of the Magic Kingdom and the new FL.

And the cheers that were heard when the SM project were announced secretly to those who needed to know might have been for the new FL rather than the SM project. Possibly.

How do you know he will flame. You must know your posts are absurd.:rolleyes:

jt04

Yes loads of ideas but this ride isn't going down fir another 5 years at the least maybe even 10.

Here's a question I know this won't work for the audio but couldn't they install DL's lighting effcts third shift at some point?

I was talking about the mono beam and how it could be plussed. Lighting, painting etc.

miles1

Just curious, how would you go about "Plusing" a concrete beam? I would think that doing too much with them would make them stand out and detract from the architecture and landscaping. I would think they would want them to blend in more than stand out?

SirGoofy

No flames necessary.

I've made inquiries about this exact topic.

What I was told: "Space Mountain and Fantasyland were completely unrelated."

jt04

Just curious, how would you go about "Plusing" a concrete beam? I would think that doing too much with them would make them stand out and detract from the architecture and landscaping. I would think they would want them to blend in more than stand out?

Personally I think they should be lighted at night. I mean there really isn't any way to hide them so lighting them seems like a nice option. Think of the way the TTA lights worked during the "test" phase. They could even have the lights "chase" the monorail as it transits the beam. Whatever can be imagined.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I'm pretty sure that these two projects came from two completely separate entitys.

SM refurb came from TDO.

FL expansion came from WDI.

One likes to spend money, ones hates to spend money. :lol:

juan

Original Poster
Personally I think they should be lighted at night. I mean there really isn't any way to hide them so lighting them seems like a nice option. Think of the way the TTA lights worked during the "test" phase. They could even have the lights "chase" the monorail as it transits the beam. Whatever can be imagined.

I think it would be neat, but something subtle like an outlining (like areas in Soarin queue)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom