Jimmy Fallon Ride

sjhym333

Well TM previews are happening now. Like right now
The VIP group tonight was from Comcast. They are riding but the team working the attraction has not been trained yet on an operational attraction and they still do not have ownership of the building. The group tonight were big wigs from Comcast and were touring the building and were riding but the attraction was run by the designers (though team members training tonight were on hand)

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

On an unrelated note: I have it from a great authority that Universal has been testing a prototype of a virtual reality headset for the Mummy. They have been testing after park closing with a handful of team members. I am hearing the tests are going great and Universal may decide to go ahead and make the Mummy a VR Coaster.

Didn't think this would be true since Mummy is already a great ride, why cover it up with a VR headset? However Six Flags/Samsung just announce a new pass-thru mode for their coaster VR headsets. This means you could see the actual ride and CG in the headset at the same time: https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/08/six-flags-and-samsung-unveil-mixed-reality-rollercoaster/

Opens things up to lots of possibilities, especially with some VR scare elements?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Didn't think this would be true since Mummy is already a great ride, why cover it up with a VR headset? However Six Flags/Samsung just announce a new pass-thru mode for their coaster VR headsets. This means you could see the actual ride and CG in the headset at the same time: https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/08/six-flags-and-samsung-unveil-mixed-reality-rollercoaster/

Opens things up to lots of possibilities, especially with some VR scare elements?
That's what I was talking about, but with a different name. I don't know why they wouldn't just call it augmented reality. Maybe a copyright deal?

HouseHacker97

i can barely stand wearing 3d glasses- if I have to wear an entire headset that forces my eyes an inch away from a pixelated video i will be extremely disappointed, especially because people that wear glasses will basically be excluded from the experience all together

JoeCamel

But Fallon? People are riding this and the facade is one of the best Universal has done IMO? Rockwork in another dimension, built to replicate with faux painting that really pops?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
They stopped making the Google glasses you know?
That certainly doesn't mean the tech is dead in the water, just that Google isn't trying to market it to John Q. Public right now. I think it has GREAT potential in themed entertainment.

sjhym333

I have had a couple of friends ride it and all have basically said the same thing. Like Star Tours but different. They also basically said the attraction was....eh. Team member previews started today and are also tomorrow. After that I would expect soft openings to begin soon.

cheezbat

Had a friend ride it today...said it was a cross between Simpsons and Minions...and they didn't care much for the ride....said the queue was entertaining though.

Tom Morrow

***SPOILERS***
----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

Oh, it's bad. I legitimately cannot think of any ride lazier than this. Kong received lukewarm reception but shows ambition and effort. Antarctica at SeaWorld is terrible but it was a pretty ambitious ride system for a park that previously did not have a dark ride.

This? ANOTHER simulator. Another screen. More 3D glasses. More simulated falling and getting splashed with water droplets. And this time in ride vehicle and theater that are 100% unthemed (at least that will make installing a new video easier). Of course, we all knew that that's what this would be, so I hoped they had found some way to make the concept work enough for the ride hold it's own. Nope.

First and foremost, it's cringingly unfunny. I don't think Jimmy himself is that funny but that isn't the problem here. What could have possibly made this work is if it was done in a tongue-in-cheek, self-aware style, akin to how The Simpsons Ride makes fun of it's own use of ride tropes. Instead it's played entirely straight, despite being literally cartoonish. The entire time Jimmy makes extremely hokey comments like "oh being in first place sure feels great!" rather than anything even remotely funny.

Second, this was a missed opportunity to make a "real world" simulator (like Soarin'), as in something that could at least semi-plausibly happen. This would make it stand out from Universal's other simulator rides. Instead it's the same out of control unrestrained chaos, and, to reiterate, awkwardly cartoony. The cartoonish direction is weird and awkward because he's a real person with a real world talk show and is playing himself. So why are we in a Mario Kart-esque version of New York? If there is one positive I can say about the ride experience, it's that they at least refrained from using the"something goes wrong" cliche'.

I will say that the queue and new system are done well and do a great job of making it seem like you're actually there to be in the audience of The Tonight Show. But then this pretense doesn't seem to carry over to the actual ride. I may have missed some lines of dialogue, but it doesn't seem like Jimmy introduces the experience as it should be explained: you're there for the filming of an episode and the idea for tonight's skit is for Jimmy to race the audience around New York. Instead he more or less says "Hi I'm Jimmy Fallon and this is a ride about racing me around New York because reasons."

I predict that from following the mediocre Kong with this, and following this with a ride that is probably just like Kong, Universal will receive backlash.

Last edited:

Bob Harlem

The theater is themed to look like 6B's seating and back, with a big curtain over the screen. It's actually pretty spot on with how the seats and normally off camera parts of the studio actually look. The studios at Rockefeller center aren't that big to begin with.

Complain about the ride, but they completely nailed the theming, theater included.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Too bad to hear this, but I guess its better than nothing? As mentioned in my review of my first time at USO, I really wish they had used this opportunity for a new ride type, maybe a dark ride of some sort, instead of the the screen based rides which they are already proven 10 fold they are the best at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom