Jambo vs Kidani??

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
I think it largely is going to depend upon how much walking you are comfortable doing, and to what locations, and where your room happens to end up being. For example, the two times at Disney World I most care about distances to and from a location at a resort are how far is it to my room and the buses, and how far is it from my room to my car. The reason is simply these are the two times I'm most likely to be tired. One times is transporting my luggage from my car and to my car, and the other times it's after I have already gotten back from a park, or even before I ever get there in terms of energy. For my family and I, where the lobby is would be most crucial after that.

That being said, when you look at the maps of Kadani and Jambo, I think things get a bit more clear in terms of distances. Both resorts, if you are walking their full lengths are massively large. There's no getting around that. They both are huge, and have to have large areas of land next to them available for the animals.

Here are three maps of the resorts from wdwmagic....
Jambo House
http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/El...quality=90&encoder=freeimage&progressive=true

Kidani Village
http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/El...quality=90&encoder=freeimage&progressive=true

Jambo House & Kidani Village

If you are concerned with these items (Parking, Lobby, buses, restaurant) above everything else, Kidani is the place where technically you "could" get the best circumstance. The reason is, if you happen to be in the first two segments on the right hand side, all of those are readily available. Sanaa and the lobby are one or two segments away and an elevator ride. Parking is directly below you, and the buses are sitting right outside (you can either go out the parking lot level, and walk up the sidewalk to the buses or take the walkway leading from near the lobby to the buses). No where in Jambo House can you get all of those four things near a room. Technically, the pool isn't even that far away, considering some distances. Now, this is all based on having a room in those segments, as without it, you'll probably have a walk on your schedule to at least something.

If you look directly at the Jambo House map, notice that bus transportation is barely on the map, and not near any of the rooms that overlook savannahs, and parking is not even shown on that map. Technically at the edge of the Jambo House map, there's still a small little island between where the map ends and the parking begins, as seen on the bigger map of both resorts. Kidani, the parking is under the resort. You take one of the four elevators, whichever section you are in directly down to the garage, and back up to your room. Technically, if you had the first availble space in the garage and the first room, after you get out of the elevator, your walk to and from your car is practically inconsequentual. That can't happen at Jambo House.

Now, before it sounds like I am being too critical of Jambo, Jambo does have more eating options, and it has more outdoor viewing areas of the animals. For example, there is the Arusha Rock overlook in the middle of the Arusha Savanna. However there is also an overlook tucked in behind the building at the Uzima Savanna, where also nearby is a large group of greater flamingos (this is close to the pool area). There also is a Savanna overlook area near the DVC booth in the lobby of Jambo House. Kidani also has overlooks which are very nice (one in back of the lobby and one in back of the pool area). One way however Jambo is different is that the stairwells in Jambo, are outdoors. Meaning that you can go up to the second to top floor, and look out across various savannas that might not be anywhere near the overlook areas, or your room. This may allow you to see animals that never come near your area. All the stairwells in Kidani are covered and indoor, and you can't see as much. The Jambo house ones though are quite beneficial for that. (In the map that shows both resorts, when you look at Jambo House, many of the ends of corridors have three circular straw overhangs on them, those are the stairwells) As you can see based off of that, that's a lot of places. When you walk down the hallways of those long segmented structures, there often times are windows overlooking the savannas, but when you don't want to deal with glare or rain water, being outside is best.

Each resort really is a spectacular marvel of engineering and are great and beautiful places. Probably the most glaring problem is just their physical size, and that if you get out on a far off limb, it can be quite a trek. Also I would HIGHLY recommend visiting both, as they have unique animals, and designs, and they really aren't that far apart. This isn't a thing unique to Animal Kingdom Lodge though, as some of the resorts have sizable walks attached to them. For example, Boardwalk, due to the boardwalk and the lakefront one entire side of the resort has no parking. If you happen to have a room near there though, it can be quite a walk too and from the parking lot. If you have any questions I've stayed and visited them often, though I don't know everything. Hope some of this wasn't too confusing, and helped a bit :)

Thanks so much for all the info including the maps:) We did change to the kidani and we're looking forward to having that extra bathroom since there are 5 people staying in a 1 bedroom :) I'm sure both , as you have said, has their pros and cons and we'll be spending time at both since we have ADR's at both places :) Thank you again!

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
I have changed our reservation to the kidani.. That extra bathroom with a teenager and one bathroom with 5 people would be hard..at least for us it would be :) September can't get here fast enough!!!

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
@mouse_luv is correct about the shuttle; I too have ridden it many times. You get picked up and dropped off right at the entrance, meaning a different area from the busses. It's very convenient when you have dining reservations at one and you are staying at the other.

FWIW I noticed too that another poster keeps talking about different buildings - I think they are confusing Kidani and Jambo with another resort. Jambo is only one building (albeit large with several wings) and although I've never stayed at Kidani (but always make sure to eat at Sanaa ) I'm pretty sure there is only one building there too.

Enjoy - I'm sure you and your family will love it!

Thank you, I've heard from several people that there is a shuttle to and from the jambo and the kidani and its only a ten minute walk if we had to walk :)

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
I have stayed at both resorts. Both are very nice, and very large. It is true, Jambo has more food options as well as a larger gift shop. These can be somewhat canceled out though by simply going for a walk or taking the shuttle over to Jambo from Kidani.

Kidani's parking is no joke, as not only is it covered, but it is remarkably shorter distance from your car to the rooms. The reason is, Kidani is broken down into 4 elevators, I think Timon, Zazu, Rafiki, and Pumbaa. These elevators break the resort into different wings. You park in the section your room is in, and then it's a short walk to the elevator. You take the elevator up, and move to your room. As people stated it is covered. At Jambo House, unless things have changed, all guest parking is in front of the resort, meaning you have to walk through the parking lot, through the lobby, to the elevator, then up to your floor, then a possibly very long walk to your room. Kidani is, with the exception of Fort Wilderness, on average one of the shorter distances from your car to the rooms. Whoever came up with Kidani's parking situation needs a raise.

Kidani also has Okapi, which I believe are not on display in Jambo, and also there is a radiated tortoise down b y Sanaa that lots of people overlook. Also, for food options, there is a few pizza delivery places that serve at the resort, but don't use any that the brochures are slid under the doors.

Covered parking is great!! I would of never thought of the parking, not sure why! I guess I'm so excited about planning everything else :) I've heard about the pizza delivery, but thanks for the tip about "don't use the ones that slide brochures under the doors" .. why is that? Just wondering :)

slappy magoo

There is actually an internal van that shuttles you back and forth between the front of Kidani and Jambo. It's completely separate from the Disney buses that take you to the parks etc.

It's a 13-passenger van to be exact...makes constant loop back and forth -- usually arrives about every 10 minutes.

Exactly, I've ridden in it many a time.

Thanks all, I honestly did not know that.

FrostyNaples

I have changed our reservation to the kidani.. That extra bathroom with a teenager and one bathroom with 5 people would be hard..at least for us it would be :) September can't get here fast enough!!!

We booked for 5 for this reason, the extra bathroom on the 1bd villa. We are using DVC rental points.

Nice to hear about the covered parking @ Kidani, as well as this shuttle to Jambo.

5/2/16 - the countdown is on!

Rutt

I know this has probably been addressed a million times already but the walk from Kidani to Jambo is not very long at all, and is well worth it for the nicer rooms and IMHO much better views. It sucks not having the QS at Kidani, but it honestly only affected us at breakfast. We just made our own in the room.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is the pizza delivery in the dining plan? I know we're getting that.. Just wondering :) Thanks for the info!

Check the dining website but there was at one time and a large pie was 2 TS credits,

DO NOT ORDER PIZZA FROM ANY FLYERS PUSHED UNDER YOUR DOOR those are scams designed to harvest your CC information, If you get one of those flyers bring it to the front desk along with when it showed up if you see it coming through the door, Dont confront the flyer guy some have and the results have been unfortunate in many cases.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know this has probably been addressed a million times already but the walk from Kidani to Jambo is not very long at all, and is well worth it for the nicer rooms and IMHO much better views. It sucks not having the QS at Kidani, but it honestly only affected us at breakfast. We just made our own in the room.

Done and enjoyed the walk many times.

yoda_5729

Yeah, when I said pizza delivery, I was more implying that you would order from a vendor that is not Disney. Some of the resorts have a pizzeria at the resort, like Fort Wilderness and Boardwalk. I'm not sure if AKL does or does not. All the resorts do have room service, though I do not know if it counts for the dining plan. What usually happens is that you call the delivery place and make your order. When they are driving to the resort,they will call you, and you either meet them in the lobby or right outside it, and pay for it, collect your pizzas, and that's that.

Also, when you are driving from the lodges, just beyond the entrance to Animal Kingdom Theme Park, there is a McDonalds that is inside Walt Disney World. It is really the only major restaurant outside of the parks, resorts, and Disney Springs areas.

My family has never used the dining plan, as we are usually most likely to eat at the fast service restaurants, and as such save money by not having to deal with any of the table service. If you are inclined to do the table service though, then from what I have heard it's a good deal.

As someone above noted it is important to not order from any of the brochures slid under doors. They do identity theft. I once took one of the brochures down to the concierge, and asked him if it was a legit place to order food from. The concierge almost looked disgusted (not at me, at the brochure) and hurriedly took it from me and gave me the number for Flippers. He said I'd enjoy it a lot more. He didn't tell me it was a scam, but later on on these boards I found that out.

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but if I get time I can try to post some images of various things at Kidani, and I may even have some of the images at Jumbo House as well. As someone else noted, Kidani and Jumbo House are both all one building. There are outdoor areas, but pretty much everything is connected indoors. Also of note is that some people assume you can walk to Animal Kingdom. That is inaccurate, as though Animal Kingdom is the shortest bus ride you will have, you cannot walk from your resort to it. Due to Animal Kingdom Lodge's location, you are kinda off to the side away from a lot of the other Disney World attractions. Some are annoyed by this, though it doesn't really bug me all that much. The concept of Animal Kingdom is you are out in Africa, with these amazing animals. Magic Kingdom will be the longest bus ride.

Also in terms of transportation, you will be taking buses pretty much to every destination. If your family wants to experinece the monorail, the monorail only stops at Magic Kingdom, Ticket and Transportation Center, Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and Polynesian on one loop, and then the other loop, it only stops at Epcot and Ticket and Transportation Center. The Ticket and Transportation Center is actually the parking lot for the Magic Kingdom. One of the easiest ways to ride the monorail is one day leave the Magic Kingdom early, and either go visit Epcot by way of monorail, or take the monorail around to the various resorts. The monorail is completely free to ride in, and also you can ride it however many times you choose.

Usually when you check in you are given an animal guide that tells of the various wildlife found within the resort. Also local Florida birds often visit as well. One of the birds that is on display is a Ruppel Griffin Vulture. Though most probably wouldn't be to impressed by it, it's the highest flying bird in the world, able to fly over Mt Everest (though he's not from that part of the world).

Oh, and also, if your family is the type that enjoys soda pop, you can buy a cup in the main store of Kidani, or I think Jumbo House's store, where you get free refills in that cup for the remainder of your stay. It can only be done at the resorts, as I think you are allowed to refill them at other Disney World Resorts, but not the theme parks. The mugs are a nice little souvenir from your trip, and depending upon how many nights you are staying, and how much you care about soda (you might be able to get coffee I don't remember), that might be a good deal for you, but only if you buy them the first day, as if you don't even know about them until the last day, they pretty much are just a cup. The cups have computer chips in them, so once your stay is over with, you can't get anymore pop.

Last edited:

rfc0001

Thanks all, I honestly did not know that.
We never used it (or noticed it) either the first few times we stayed there. It's still a crap shoot which is faster. Generally, busses are faster getting to Jambo since you can take any one of three busses to get there. Van is faster getting back since you can only take Disney Springs bus to get back. You also have to gauge if the van just left (e.g. no line) or if people have been waiting a while (if people are already queing up -- but obviously if already ~10 in line you are going to have to wait for another van so definitely not worth).

mouse_luv

We never used it (or noticed it) either the first few times we stayed there. It's still a crap shoot which is faster. Generally, busses are faster getting to Jambo since you can take any one of three busses to get there. Van is faster getting back since you can only take Disney Springs bus to get back. You also have to gauge if the van just left (e.g. no line) or if people have been waiting a while (if people are already queing up -- but obviously if already ~10 in line you are going to have to wait for another van so definitely not worth).

Except for the times that the bus doesn't go to Jambo from Kidani or vice versa, it does happen because I've been there when it does. They at times run two different buses, one for Kidani and one for Jambo. When I was there in Sept `14 and June `15 I rode a bus that was solely for Kidani due to how busy the resorts and parks were at the time.

lostpro9het

Except for the times that the bus doesn't go to Jambo from Kidani or vice versa, it does happen because I've been there when it does. They at times run two different buses, one for Kidani and one for Jambo. When I was there in Sept `14 and June `15 I rode a bus that was solely for Kidani due to how busy the resorts and parks were at the time.
This!

I rode one last week that was solely for Kidani.

slappy magoo

You know what this safari needs? A moving sidewalk!

disneygirl1

That was my next question.. is there a shuttle that just runs to kidani to jambo :) Thanks for answering that! I have heard kidani is quieter but the rooms are bigger...It really shouldn't be this hard to decide.. My husband says "Just whatever you want" so It's all on me.. I just want everyone to be happy and it sounds like they would at either.. but with a teenager it would probably be easier with an extra bathroom :)

You really can't go wrong with either resort. I personally lean toward Jambo b/c I love the immense lobby! The 2nd bathroom would definitely be a plus! Good luck with your choice.

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
Check the dining website but there was at one time and a large pie was 2 TS credits,

DO NOT ORDER PIZZA FROM ANY FLYERS PUSHED UNDER YOUR DOOR those are scams designed to harvest your CC information, If you get one of those flyers bring it to the front desk along with when it showed up if you see it coming through the door, Dont confront the flyer guy some have and the results have been unfortunate in many cases.

THAT'S AWFUL!! Thanks for the heads up!! wow, just shaking my head on that one.. You're the second one to tell me about this.. wow!

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
Yeah, when I said pizza delivery, I was more implying that you would order from a vendor that is not Disney. Some of the resorts have a pizzeria at the resort, like Fort Wilderness and Boardwalk. I'm not sure if AKL does or does not. All the resorts do have room service, though I do not know if it counts for the dining plan. What usually happens is that you call the delivery place and make your order. When they are driving to the resort,they will call you, and you either meet them in the lobby or right outside it, and pay for it, collect your pizzas, and that's that.

Also, when you are driving from the lodges, just beyond the entrance to Animal Kingdom Theme Park, there is a McDonalds that is inside Walt Disney World. It is really the only major restaurant outside of the parks, resorts, and Disney Springs areas.

My family has never used the dining plan, as we are usually most likely to eat at the fast service restaurants, and as such save money by not having to deal with any of the table service. If you are inclined to do the table service though, then from what I have heard it's a good deal.

As someone above noted it is important to not order from any of the brochures slid under doors. They do identity theft. I once took one of the brochures down to the concierge, and asked him if it was a legit place to order food from. The concierge almost looked disgusted (not at me, at the brochure) and hurriedly took it from me and gave me the number for Flippers. He said I'd enjoy it a lot more. He didn't tell me it was a scam, but later on on these boards I found that out.

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but if I get time I can try to post some images of various things at Kidani, and I may even have some of the images at Jumbo House as well. As someone else noted, Kidani and Jumbo House are both all one building. There are outdoor areas, but pretty much everything is connected indoors. Also of note is that some people assume you can walk to Animal Kingdom. That is inaccurate, as though Animal Kingdom is the shortest bus ride you will have, you cannot walk from your resort to it. Due to Animal Kingdom Lodge's location, you are kinda off to the side away from a lot of the other Disney World attractions. Some are annoyed by this, though it doesn't really bug me all that much. The concept of Animal Kingdom is you are out in Africa, with these amazing animals. Magic Kingdom will be the longest bus ride.

Also in terms of transportation, you will be taking buses pretty much to every destination. If your family wants to experinece the monorail, the monorail only stops at Magic Kingdom, Ticket and Transportation Center, Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and Polynesian on one loop, and then the other loop, it only stops at Epcot and Ticket and Transportation Center. The Ticket and Transportation Center is actually the parking lot for the Magic Kingdom. One of the easiest ways to ride the monorail is one day leave the Magic Kingdom early, and either go visit Epcot by way of monorail, or take the monorail around to the various resorts. The monorail is completely free to ride in, and also you can ride it however many times you choose.

Usually when you check in you are given an animal guide that tells of the various wildlife found within the resort. Also local Florida birds often visit as well. One of the birds that is on display is a Ruppel Griffin Vulture. Though most probably wouldn't be to impressed by it, it's the highest flying bird in the world, able to fly over Mt Everest (though he's not from that part of the world).

Oh, and also, if your family is the type that enjoys soda pop, you can buy a cup in the main store of Kidani, or I think Jumbo House's store, where you get free refills in that cup for the remainder of your stay. It can only be done at the resorts, as I think you are allowed to refill them at other Disney World Resorts, but not the theme parks. The mugs are a nice little souvenir from your trip, and depending upon how many nights you are staying, and how much you care about soda (you might be able to get coffee I don't remember), that might be a good deal for you, but only if you buy them the first day, as if you don't even know about them until the last day, they pretty much are just a cup. The cups have computer chips in them, so once your stay is over with, you can't get anymore pop.

pictures would be great and what do these cups look like?? :) I've heard alot about them!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom