Jambo vs Kidani??

slappy magoo

Depending on how much time you spend in the parks, you could negate some of the effects of the lack of quick service by ordering some groceries and cooking a few meals. For my family, I'd only stay at Jambo if I were in a studio. But in a one-bedroom with a full kitchen, I'd be cooking breakfast every day anyways so Kidani becomes and option.

You are better than me , because I don't cook on vacation ;)

Not that I'm advocating "cooking" but there's something to be said about using the kitchen or kitchenette (depending on room size) for simple meals that you'd pay 10-15 bucks, if not more, in your room. Stop at a supermarket before going to your room - stock up on cold cuts, PB&J, chips and other snacks, beverages (colas/juices/water or harder stuff if that's how you roll). Stuff you can throw in the microwave, like egg sandwiches that only need to be reheated for quick breakfasts. You'll save a ton of dough, not to mention a ton of time. even if you do stay in Jambo, the Mara food court is nice, but for a resort that big, lines can get very long, seating can get very scarce. Believe me, I'm a Disney food junkie, especially their junk food, their snacks and treats. But with 2 young girls, I think the extra bathroom in a 1BR unit would trump everything. If it weren't for the fact that we tend to pack lighter and take advantage of the washer and dryer in the 1BR villas, I think, were we staying in Jambo, I might even be tempted to get 2 studios versus a 1BR. It would use almost the same amount of DVC points, and then you'd have the extra bathroom AND proximity to the Mara...

But no laundry...that'd be difficult for us.

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
Not that I'm advocating "cooking" but there's something to be said about using the kitchen or kitchenette (depending on room size) for simple meals that you'd pay 10-15 bucks, if not more, in your room. Stop at a supermarket before going to your room - stock up on cold cuts, PB&J, chips and other snacks, beverages (colas/juices/water or harder stuff if that's how you roll). Stuff you can throw in the microwave, like egg sandwiches that only need to be reheated for quick breakfasts. You'll save a ton of dough, not to mention a ton of time. even if you do stay in Jambo, the Mara food court is nice, but for a resort that big, lines can get very long, seating can get very scarce. Believe me, I'm a Disney food junkie, especially their junk food, their snacks and treats. But with 2 young girls, I think the extra bathroom in a 1BR unit would trump everything. If it weren't for the fact that we tend to pack lighter and take advantage of the washer and dryer in the 1BR villas, I think, were we staying in Jambo, I might even be tempted to get 2 studios versus a 1BR. It would use almost the same amount of DVC points, and then you'd have the extra bathroom AND proximity to the Mara...

But no laundry...that'd be difficult for us.

That extra bathroom is looking good... and we won't eat our for breakfast, we will buy groceries for that.. None of us are big breakfast eaters so that's an easy one :)

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
We have stayed at both multiple times. I like Jambo b/c it is livelier and like that Mara is there. Kidani is great b/c it is smaller. Rooms are larger, pool is better IMO, and its a huge perk that for the buses Kidani is first to be picked up and dropped off. There is a shuttle between the two resorts that runs all the time so getting to Mara to easy is easy. The walk isn't terrible between the two either.

That was my next question.. is there a shuttle that just runs to kidani to jambo :) Thanks for answering that! I have heard kidani is quieter but the rooms are bigger...It really shouldn't be this hard to decide.. My husband says "Just whatever you want" so It's all on me.. I just want everyone to be happy and it sounds like they would at either.. but with a teenager it would probably be easier with an extra bathroom :)

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
Me neither since I've always stayed at Kidani ;) I've only seen people standing during peak times (Christmas, week before/after Easter, etc.).

FWIW, we prefer Kidani for the pools (better for kids IMO), larger rooms, extra bathroom. One downside not mentioned is the extremely long hallway for Savanna view rooms at Kidani (like 20 minute walk to busses long). We've requested near lobby and gotten in 2nd to last building 3 out of 5 trips (apparently everyone complains and they move people before you get there even if you've requested it in advance). As far as dining, we love Boma breakfast, but it is expensive, so only go there once a trip. We aren't QS people (do two TS a day -- late breakfast and late dinner), so lack of QS isn't a factor for us. As far as TS for dinner, not a fan of Boma or Jiko for dinner -- much prefer Sanaa, plus we only eat one TS dinner at AKL so not a big deal even if we had to take the shuttle or bus.

20 minutes walk to the bus to the room? Really? wow! We will definitely take advantage of the pools so that's something to consider with two little ones :) Thank you!!

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
If we had to go back to the AKL we'd stay at Kidani simply for the buses. With 2 kids and a stroller there were times where we couldn't even board the first bus and would have to wait for the next one. We were there 2 years ago for the Christmas party and wanted to get to the MK in time to watch Elsa light up the castle. Even though we left early enough to make it, the buses were too full and we ended up having to take a cab to the MK to get there on time.

wow!! that's what I have heard from several people.. kidani is first to board then they head to jambo..

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Thanks for the tip about Publix :) and yes, I've heard the covered parking is nice too.. thank you!

Garden Grocer is who we use that delivers so no need to waste time going to a store. They are wonderful and will leave your items with bell services if you have not arrived yet on the day you schedule the delivery. We get our water and a few other extras from them every single trip. They even offer cold items like milk etc and will be kept in a fridge at bell services. We order 60 days or more early to save an additional 10%. You can always add items if you think of something later as well. They are awesome and local , and use them every single trip. They have an App which is super easy to use to order. :)

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
Garden Grocer is who we use that delivers so no need to waste time going to a store. They are wonderful and will leave your items with bell services if you have not arrived yet on the day you schedule the delivery. We get our water and a few other extras from them every single trip. They even offer cold items like milk etc and will be kept in a fridge at bell services. We order 60 days or more early to save an additional 10%. You can always add items if you think of something later as well. They are awesome and local , and use them every single trip. They have an App which is super easy to use to order. :)

I have heard good things about that service , thank you ;) this is our first Disney trip so I am sure it will be a fun learning experience ;)

slappy magoo

That extra bathroom is looking good... and we won't eat our for breakfast, we will buy groceries for that.. None of us are big breakfast eaters so that's an easy one :)

If that's true, then I'd almost definitely, definitively, say Kidani. The only possible exception would be if your family is the type that spends A LOT of time at your resort, whole afternoons lounging poolside. If that's the case, being close to the food court for snacks or CS meals might be appealing...but then again, the pool bar at Kidani does have a small-but-not-awful selection of CS meal and snack options. It might be enough.

That was my next question.. is there a shuttle that just runs to kidani to jambo :) Thanks for answering that!

FWIW, I don't think there's an internal shuttle bus, per se. I'm pretty sure all buses that go to parks stop at Kidani first, and all buses that go to Disney Springs stop at Jambo first. So you'd just jump on any park bus to get to Mara, and any Springs bus to go back.

yoda_5729

I have stayed at both resorts. Both are very nice, and very large. It is true, Jambo has more food options as well as a larger gift shop. These can be somewhat canceled out though by simply going for a walk or taking the shuttle over to Jambo from Kidani.

Kidani's parking is no joke, as not only is it covered, but it is remarkably shorter distance from your car to the rooms. The reason is, Kidani is broken down into 4 elevators, I think Timon, Zazu, Rafiki, and Pumbaa. These elevators break the resort into different wings. You park in the section your room is in, and then it's a short walk to the elevator. You take the elevator up, and move to your room. As people stated it is covered. At Jambo House, unless things have changed, all guest parking is in front of the resort, meaning you have to walk through the parking lot, through the lobby, to the elevator, then up to your floor, then a possibly very long walk to your room. Kidani is, with the exception of Fort Wilderness, on average one of the shorter distances from your car to the rooms. Whoever came up with Kidani's parking situation needs a raise.

Kidani also has Okapi, which I believe are not on display in Jambo, and also there is a radiated tortoise down b y Sanaa that lots of people overlook. Also, for food options, there is a few pizza delivery places that serve at the resort, but don't use any that the brochures are slid under the doors.

lostpro9het

Sorry but I love them both can't pick a favorite. Just got back, today, from our 4th visit to AKL in one year and each has their own charm. We easily spent equal time at both pools as well as dining establishments, Jiko and Sanaa are crazy good. We just stayed in one of the recently refurb rooms at Jambo and they did a fantastic job.

mouse_luv

wow!! that's what I have heard from several people.. kidani is first to board then they head to jambo..
Actually, there are times that Kidani and Jambo have separate buses to the Parks.

FWIW, I don't think there's an internal shuttle bus, per se. I'm pretty sure all buses that go to parks stop at Kidani first, and all buses that go to Disney Springs stop at Jambo first. So you'd just jump on any park bus to get to Mara, and any Springs bus to go back.

There is actually an internal van that shuttles you back and forth between the front of Kidani and Jambo. It's completely separate from the Disney buses that take you to the parks etc.

rfc0001

There is actually an internal van that shuttles you back and forth between the front of Kidani and Jambo. It's completely separate from the Disney buses that takes you to the parks etc.
It's a 13-passenger van to be exact...makes constant loop back and forth -- usually arrives about every 10 minutes.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
There is actually an internal van that shuttles you back and forth between the front of Kidani and Jambo. It's completely separate from the Disney buses that take you to the parks etc.

@mouse_luv is correct about the shuttle; I too have ridden it many times. You get picked up and dropped off right at the entrance, meaning a different area from the busses. It's very convenient when you have dining reservations at one and you are staying at the other.

FWIW I noticed too that another poster keeps talking about different buildings - I think they are confusing Kidani and Jambo with another resort. Jambo is only one building (albeit large with several wings) and although I've never stayed at Kidani (but always make sure to eat at Sanaa ) I'm pretty sure there is only one building there too.

Enjoy - I'm sure you and your family will love it!

yoda_5729

I think it largely is going to depend upon how much walking you are comfortable doing, and to what locations, and where your room happens to end up being. For example, the two times at Disney World I most care about distances to and from a location at a resort are how far is it to my room and the buses, and how far is it from my room to my car. The reason is simply these are the two times I'm most likely to be tired. One times is transporting my luggage from my car and to my car, and the other times it's after I have already gotten back from a park, or even before I ever get there in terms of energy. For my family and I, where the lobby is would be most crucial after that.

That being said, when you look at the maps of Kadani and Jambo, I think things get a bit more clear in terms of distances. Both resorts, if you are walking their full lengths are massively large. There's no getting around that. They both are huge, and have to have large areas of land next to them available for the animals.

Here are three maps of the resorts from wdwmagic....
Jambo House
http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/El...quality=90&encoder=freeimage&progressive=true

Kidani Village
http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/El...quality=90&encoder=freeimage&progressive=true

Jambo House & Kidani Village

If you are concerned with these items (Parking, Lobby, buses, restaurant) above everything else, Kidani is the place where technically you "could" get the best circumstance. The reason is, if you happen to be in the first two segments on the right hand side, all of those are readily available. Sanaa and the lobby are one or two segments away and an elevator ride. Parking is directly below you, and the buses are sitting right outside (you can either go out the parking lot level, and walk up the sidewalk to the buses or take the walkway leading from near the lobby to the buses). No where in Jambo House can you get all of those four things near a room. Technically, the pool isn't even that far away, considering some distances. Now, this is all based on having a room in those segments, as without it, you'll probably have a walk on your schedule to at least something.

If you look directly at the Jambo House map, notice that bus transportation is barely on the map, and not near any of the rooms that overlook savannahs, and parking is not even shown on that map. Technically at the edge of the Jambo House map, there's still a small little island between where the map ends and the parking begins, as seen on the bigger map of both resorts. Kidani, the parking is under the resort. You take one of the four elevators, whichever section you are in directly down to the garage, and back up to your room. Technically, if you had the first availble space in the garage and the first room, after you get out of the elevator, your walk to and from your car is practically inconsequentual. That can't happen at Jambo House.

Now, before it sounds like I am being too critical of Jambo, Jambo does have more eating options, and it has more outdoor viewing areas of the animals. For example, there is the Arusha Rock overlook in the middle of the Arusha Savanna. However there is also an overlook tucked in behind the building at the Uzima Savanna, where also nearby is a large group of greater flamingos (this is close to the pool area). There also is a Savanna overlook area near the DVC booth in the lobby of Jambo House. Kidani also has overlooks which are very nice (one in back of the lobby and one in back of the pool area). One way however Jambo is different is that the stairwells in Jambo, are outdoors. Meaning that you can go up to the second to top floor, and look out across various savannas that might not be anywhere near the overlook areas, or your room. This may allow you to see animals that never come near your area. All the stairwells in Kidani are covered and indoor, and you can't see as much. The Jambo house ones though are quite beneficial for that. (In the map that shows both resorts, when you look at Jambo House, many of the ends of corridors have three circular straw overhangs on them, those are the stairwells) As you can see based off of that, that's a lot of places. When you walk down the hallways of those long segmented structures, there often times are windows overlooking the savannas, but when you don't want to deal with glare or rain water, being outside is best.

Each resort really is a spectacular marvel of engineering and are great and beautiful places. Probably the most glaring problem is just their physical size, and that if you get out on a far off limb, it can be quite a trek. Also I would HIGHLY recommend visiting both, as they have unique animals, and designs, and they really aren't that far apart. This isn't a thing unique to Animal Kingdom Lodge though, as some of the resorts have sizable walks attached to them. For example, Boardwalk, due to the boardwalk and the lakefront one entire side of the resort has no parking. If you happen to have a room near there though, it can be quite a walk too and from the parking lot. If you have any questions I've stayed and visited them often, though I don't know everything. Hope some of this wasn't too confusing, and helped a bit :)

Last edited:

yoda_5729

Also, in an earlier post I mentioned pizza delivery places. One of the ones I have used quite often is a place called Flippers. Some love it, others, not so much, but it does deliver to the resorts. I'm sure there are others that people enjoy and don't. I would look into possible options, or even ask the concierge as to what places are reputable. A concierge at AKL was the person who told me of Flippers. You have to meet the delivery man in the main lobby, but pizza delivery can be a cheaper and affordable option, as not only does it get food to your room quickly, but you can eat the pizza out on the balcony, or inside watching the animals play and be active. I often look at it as you are paying for the room, so any small moments like that that allow you to enjoy it, and relax are worth it. Also, for my brother and I, we often will not eat dinner at the park, and then after we have gotten back from the park for the evening, we then order a pizza. That way we didn't waste time in the park on getting food and a table, when we could have been on rides or watching shows. (obviously though no one should ever postpone eating if they are hungry, it's just usually we aren't until we're ready for bed.) That actually was one of the negatives of Kidani not having a quick service restaurant, as often when you are done with the parks, you don't want a fancy, lavish meal. You just want a burger or something before you got to bed. Usually the Disney restaurants do have a time at which they close, though pizza delivery, to my knowledge doesn't.

allisonmomofthree

Original Poster
Also, in an earlier post I mentioned pizza delivery places. One of the ones I have used quite often is a place called Flippers. Some love it, others, not so much, but it does deliver to the resorts. I'm sure there are others that people enjoy and don't. I would look into possible options, or even ask the concierge as to what places are reputable. A concierge at AKL was the person who told me of Flippers. You have to meet the delivery man in the main lobby, but pizza delivery can be a cheaper and affordable option, as not only does it get food to your room quickly, but you can eat the pizza out on the balcony, or inside watching the animals play and be active. I often look at it as you are paying for the room, so any small moments like that that allow you to enjoy it, and relax are worth it. Also, for my brother and I, we often will not eat dinner at the park, and then after we have gotten back from the park for the evening, we then order a pizza. That way we didn't waste time in the park on getting food and a table, when we could have been on rides or watching shows. (obviously though no one should ever postpone eating if they are hungry, it's just usually we aren't until we're ready for bed.) That actually was one of the negatives of Kidani not having a quick service restaurant, as often when you are done with the parks, you don't want a fancy, lavish meal. You just want a burger or something before you got to bed. Usually the Disney restaurants do have a time at which they close, though pizza delivery, to my knowledge doesn't.

Is the pizza delivery in the dining plan? I know we're getting that.. Just wondering :) Thanks for the info!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom