Is Disney a "bunch of white slavers"?

brb1006

This reminds me of a similar statement the director of "Escape From Tomorrow" said about Disney and it's parks.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
This reminds me of a similar statement the director of "Escape From Tomorrow" said about Disney and it's parks.
Except that Lucas has already recanted his statement, and the other director needed all the press he could get....

rob0519

In a recent interview with Charlie Rose, George Lucas says these movies are his children and he sold them to a bunch of white slavers. See the 50 minute mark below. Do you think Disney buys franchises and wrings them for all they are worth? It's not working very well with the Muppets but is very much for Marvel and Pixar.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-george-lucas-disney-white-slavers-1201669959/

Of course Disney buys franchises and wrings them for all they are worth.....and then some more. They are a money making, profit driven business. It's what the corporation does. Anyone that's surprised by this has not been paying attention for at least the last 20 years.

It was a poor choice of words, but the sentiment is clear. Disney bought Lucas's life's work and told him it's now their ball and bat and they make the rules. Estimates have George's net worth between 7 and 8 billion dollars after the sale, meaning he had 3 to 4 billion already. If he didn't want to see his "kids" handled by someone else he certainly didn't need to sell.

It's sort of like living in a house for 30 years and then after you sell, being upset that the new owners changed the colors and took down a wall or two in order to make the place more suitable for the current times.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Anyone remember the time George Lucas said that his "Red Tails" was the first action movie ever to star black people?
Maybe the first Lucasfilm to ever star black people....but certainly not the first....what an arrogant statement.

or perhaps the whole quote was taken out of context....seems more likely the latter

flynnibus

Premium Member
He gave the $4B to charity.

Correction.. he PLEDGED to donate the 'majority' of it to charities. It was a continuation of his pledge in 2010 to donate most of his wealth to charities (and in his case.. education). Basically the billionaire club pledge from Gates/etc to philanthropy. Try finding stories of his donations beyond about $10m to USC again beyond the news from his spokesperson in Nov 2012.

prberk

George Lucas has worked with Disney for decades, not only developing "Star Tours," but also in that Lucasfilm was a partner in developing "ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter" in the Magic Kingdom. Not to mention the involvement of his Industrial Light and Magic in countless films.

He knew that selling his "children" to Disney would not only continue a working relationship but also give them a place to be in the parks as well as on film well into perpetuity, which he actually mentioned at the time of his sale. He considered everything and eventually made the decision to sell, given the pros and cons.

I can understand working through some feelings as things evolve, and as your story is changed by the purchaser; and perhaps I can even understand some initial hard feelings -- he is human after all. But I would think he would have worked through some of this at the time of the sale. He was not selling to an organization with which he had not been intimately involved before. He understood their business -- and their creativity and complementary resources. It may not have been a perfect deal. But it was a deal. I hope he can come back to peace with it, and I believe he will. (And not just cynically because of the money.)

As for "wringing it for all it was worth," that is an interesting comment as well. I am 49 years old. I was around during the initial Star Wars hoopla. Perhaps its ubiquitousness is a little more pronounced and efficient today, but I can tell you that the commercialization of Star Wars was nearly ubiquitous back then, also, when George was clearly in control. Action figures and games were only just the beginning. There was an infamous "Star Wars Christmas Special" variety show on TV, for goodness sake. It was everywhere. Star Wars itself was re-released the following year (1978) as "Episode IV." And in more recent times, let's not forget the "Special Edition" edits for re-release and multiple versions of video releases, which would entice people to buy essentially the same movies they already had but in a different format with a slightly different version or other special features. And of course he authorized "Star Wars Monopoly" and "Star Wars Trivial Pursuit" and "Family Guy Star Wars edition" and "Star Wars Robot Chicken" and "Star Wars Weekends" at DHS and "Darth Tater" Mister Potatohead figurine and Star Wars happy meals and Star Wars Halloween costumes ...

So, again, although I think he was just being human and speaking off the cuff, I clearly think that for George to criticize Disney for over-commercializing Star Wars is a bit like throwing stones within your own glass house. So, I would think that this is why he is reported to have recanted his statements to that effect.

Curious, by the way, on your take on this, @Master Yoda and @StarWarsGirl95 .

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I clearly think that for George to criticize Disney for over-commercializing Star Wars is a bit like throwing stones within your own glass house.
Exactly. Lucas was just as bad when it came to over-commercializing as Disney. In some ways he was worse. I really can't think of any other movies that have THAT many releases. And before anyone talks about how Lucas was just "finishing his vision" it was more about selling movies and keeping it top of mind in my opinion. Every time a new version would come out with some sort of extra, it was always a huge deal with tons of hype.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom