Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

DisneyHead123

I get it too, but ...besides characters, I think there are much better cruise lines for either adults or adults with kids out there.
For families, is there anything better than Icon right now?
Celebrity, Virgin, etc. for adults? Even NCL.

I personally just think Disney cruises are too pricey for what you actually get.

We go to Disney for the rides, the parks. We don't need Disney on our cruises.
So I totally agree if you’re primarily a cruiser. I am primarily a Disney-er though, and I might get the shakes if there was no Disney theming on my cruise. Sad but true, lol.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I get it too, but ...besides characters, I think there are much better cruise lines for either adults or adults with kids out there.
For families, is there anything better than Icon right now?
Celebrity, Virgin, etc. for adults? Even NCL.

I personally just think Disney cruises are too pricey for what you actually get.

We go to Disney for the rides, the parks. We don't need Disney on our cruises.
The best Norwegian ships can be on par with the Disney dream class

The last 3 RCCL classes are clearly better

Celebrity is better from top to bottom

And there are other operators above that are miles ahead like silversea

DCL is fine for what it is…but not a good value

OrlandoRising

Anyways, long way of saying, I understand why the popularity of cruises is up.

I understand why some disillusioned WDW fans gravitate towards the Cruise Line these days, but I maintain that it's not a comparable replacement for a theme park vacation. Could be that it took going on a cruise for those folks to realize that going on rides really wasn't important to them. I also think this shift from theme parks to DCL gets exaggerated by the blogs and podcasts sponsored or owned by travel agents.

Me personally, I like theme parks. Nothing about a cruise appeals to me. I'm not alone in that thinking either.

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

From the Wonder of the Seas sailing. this is a beautiful ship!!! Marie

Attachments

• 20230625_132333.jpg
    20230625_132333.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230627_104757.jpg
    20230627_104757.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230626_132931.jpg
    20230626_132931.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230627_203345.jpg
    20230627_203345.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230629_114439.jpg
    20230629_114439.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 34

wannabeBelle

I understand why some disillusioned WDW fans gravitate towards the Cruise Line these days, but I maintain that it's not a comparable replacement for a theme park vacation. Could be that it took going on a cruise for those folks to realize that going on rides really wasn't important to them. I also think this shift from theme parks to DCL gets exaggerated by the dominance of

Me personally, I like theme parks. Nothing about a cruise appeals to me. I'm not alone in that thinking either.
Absolutely true, A cruise vacation is very different from a theme park vacation. You have to choose what you are most comfortable with. I was content to go to the theme parks for the longest time. Cruising however has changed a bit, not quite as much dressing up for dinner, stuffy atmosphere etc, so I gave it a shot and love it. I did try Disney first but have since been on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Crystal, and Virgin Voyages. Different lines appeal to different people as well so that has to be factored in. I am thrilled to visit a bunch of really cool destinations around the world via cruising currently. Marie

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It’s not just Disney seeing cruise bookings surge.

Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival each reported all time record levels of forward booking in their most recent earnings calls.

Norwegian is so booked up that it literally broke their occupancy metric; they’re reporting >100% occupancy.

So no real surprise that DCL is buying more ships.

UNCgolf

I understand why some disillusioned WDW fans gravitate towards the Cruise Line these days, but I maintain that it's not a comparable replacement for a theme park vacation. Could be that it took going on a cruise for those folks to realize that going on rides really wasn't important to them. I also think this shift from theme parks to DCL gets exaggerated by the blogs and podcasts sponsored or owned by travel agents.

Couldn't agree more; they're completely different things. Obviously there's nothing wrong with enjoying both (or preferring a cruise to a theme park) because it's all personal preference, but one is not a replacement for the other -- it's almost like suggesting someone go to a football game when they wanted to see a baseball game because they're both sports.

You'd have to pay me to go on a cruise; they don't really offer anything I want on a vacation. I'm not interested in all-inclusive beach resorts either. I also don't want to spend a few hours in a city like Barcelona; I want to go there for a week and explore (I've actually already done this but Barcelona came to mind as an example since it has a major cruise port).

Theme parks aren't really that high on my list of vacations either, but I do enjoy them every once in a while.

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

I completely felt this way when I was younger. I didn’t understand the appeal of Disney cruises at all. I feel like as I’ve gotten older and tired-er the appeal of a Disney cruise has really grown on me though. And I’m not going to lie, the possibility of someone else supervising my child on vacation vs. a day of meltdowns in the parks is a bit of a game changer (not sure if he would actually go to the kids club though.)

I still like the rides. But the kiddie rides that my niece and nephews can do (son has sensory issues and mostly hates rides) - I never thought I’d say it, but I’m kinda bored with them now. The food, site seeing, and entertainment is really the highlight for me at this point, and that would be plentiful on a cruise.

I completely understand if people would rather go to the parks. I think the appeal of one vs. the other has a lot to do with a person’s current life situation though. Some people physically just can’t do the parks anymore, some people may feel mentally overwhelmed by them, for parents the parks may mean a lot of extra responsibilities or struggles… I think there are plenty of reasons why a cruise could legitimately be a better choice for some Disney fans.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So we seem to be saying the same thing that always comes up in any park discussion: the planning is a hassle that’s turning people off.

That goes back to the same point - they haven’t invested to handle their crowds comfortably. That is 100% Bob Iger’s fail. When he took over the parks - though with flaws/issues - had enough in them to handle the crowds at that time. But travel numbers have gone up organically (everywhere…not just Disney parks) and they did not handle it. At least in Florida…Disneyland may be better…wdw is far worse.

That’s the “ground zero” of what we’re saying. It’s a simple numbers game.

And they arent fixing it. At all. Not now and not in the near future.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival each reported all time record levels of forward booking in their most recent earnings calls.

Norwegian is so booked up that it literally broke their occupancy metric; they’re reporting >100% occupancy.

Royal is cranking out super ships

2 more oasis rolling out, 2 more Icon under construction

BrianLo

I think the problem as they inch towards “profitability”…they had to shut a lot of the studios down - for various reasons - over 5 years to do it.

And some point…you can’t cut costs.

Especially in a year or two when the market will say: “where’s our game of thrones? Or where’s our Bridgerton? Or Crown?”

I don’t think the acolyte is gonna cut it

I think you are still over-catastrophizing. It’s largely been about content spend containment. We’re 18 months into it with a huge work stoppage in the rear view mirror.

We have our GoT (Shogun), we have our British Shows (Doctor Who). We have other high quality content like bear season 3 and even Disney live action for once actually gave us something in Percy Jackson. That’s not even getting into the well that is their staple IP machines, like the Acolyte. Or the steady drip of the tentpole films.

Content is still present. Before I get some shenanigans about how that’s Hulu… time to catch up to 2024. It’s all the same service and has been for years. The content isn’t being cut to the bone. The out of control spending was held back and will slowly release over the coming decade as ARPU and subscribers slowly build.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you are still over-catastrophizing. It’s largely been about content spend containment. We’re 18 months into it with a huge work stoppage in the rear view mirror.

We have our GoT (Shogun), we have our British Shows (Doctor Who). We have other high quality content like bear season 3 and even Disney live action for once actually gave us something in Percy Jackson. That’s not even getting into the well that is their staple IP machines, like the Acolyte. Or the steady drip of the tentpole films.

Content is still present. Before I get some shenanigans about how that’s Hulu… time to catch up to 2024. It’s all the same service and has been for years. The content isn’t being cut to the bone. The out of control spending was held back and will slowly release over the coming decade as ARPU and subscribers slowly build.
I think you’re doing the “it’s DISNEY…” thing…perhaps subconsciously?

I’ve heard it. We’ll see

I never imaged them losing park share and having people scoffing at the price and marvel and Star Wars box office bombs that long ago either…so things aren’t guaranteed.

Laketravis

Just don't book the Prima.... horrible ship. Almost made me swear off cruises forever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just don't book the Prima.... horrible ship. Almost made me swear off cruises forever.
We looked at one for summer this year about 18 months ago and that was one of the options

After doing some research I can honestly say I’ve never seen something so HATED in the history of the internet?

Except for Brie Larson and 7 of the last 8 Star Wars movies…of course 😎

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member

Sounds like unprecedented demand that will last forever...

The cruise industry isn't at all financially volatile is it? Asking for a friend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom