Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

V_L_Raptor

So, I live in Tampa, and we would occasionally (mainly before the pandemic, but sparsely now) get billboard advertisements around here for the parks, generally for EPCOT festivals. This evening I saw a billboard advertising Disney AP's for the first time I can remember in quite a while. I couldn't help but wonder if there's a little more desperation to get some AP traffic to bolster attendance and spending. (It's not as though Disney's been careful about how they treat AP's lately, after all.)

If that's even the case, I wonder how much of a dip had to happen to get it.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
So, I live in Tampa, and we would occasionally (mainly before the pandemic, but sparsely now) get billboard advertisements around here for the parks, generally for EPCOT festivals. This evening I saw a billboard advertising Disney AP's for the first time I can remember in quite a while. I couldn't help but wonder if there's a little more desperation to get some AP traffic to bolster attendance and spending. (It's not as though Disney's been careful about how they treat AP's lately, after all.)

That’s interesting, especially the way Disney shows their love for AP holders and DVC members at times. Maybe they are getting desperate seeing some of the long range trends.

I guess the billboard doesn’t mention AP’s still have to get park reservations though unless it’s designate it as a good-to-go day or unless it’s after 2pm?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That’s interesting, especially the way Disney shows their love for AP holders and DVC members at times. Maybe they are getting desperate seeing some of the long range trends.

I guess the billboard doesn’t mention AP’s still have to get park reservations though unless it’s designate it as a good-to-go day or unless it’s after 2pm?
Might it be symptomatic of the park industry in Orlando overall ? Universal Orlando said yesterday "Switching gears to Orlando, we started to feel some pressure on attendance levels late in the first quarter, which tends to occur in tandem with the ebbs and flows of new attractions in the market"

lentesta

Premium Member
For what it's worth, Standby vs LL usage at DHS this morning from 9 to 9:30 am:
  • Tower of Terror had 695 guests enter standby and 223 (or 24% of all guests) enter the Lightning Lane
  • Runaway Railway: 1,065 standby and 158 (13%) Lightning Lane
  • Smugglers Run: 648 standby and 123 (16%) Lightning Lane
Tower seemed to start the morning running at around 1,000 guests/hour, or roughly 2/3rds of the max capacity we've ever observed (1,470/hour).

Railway seemed to run at 1,100/hour and we've seen hourly exit counts at 1,640, so also ~2/3rds of max capacity.

Smugglers Run seemed to be at ~900 guests/hour and the most we've counted is 1,459 exits/hour, so around 2/3rds of capacity.

Smugs went through a 15-minute period right at Early Entry opening where a total of 75 people entered the attraction. So the wait at the end of that 15-minute period should've been pretty close to zero.

ETA: Both Slink and ROTR had issues this morning. ROTR was offline briefly at rope drop, and Slink has had some weird hour-long slowdown/outage mid-morning twice this week. And I don't think it showed up as offline in MDE.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They aren’t selling well…gee I wonder why?
Might it be symptomatic of the park industry in Orlando overall ? Universal Orlando said yesterday "Switching gears to Orlando, we started to feel some pressure on attendance levels late in the first quarter, which tends to occur in tandem with the ebbs and flows of new attractions in the market"
They seem to be having issues in Orlando…gee I wonder why?

V_L_Raptor

Oh, of course not! 🤣 No, it's just a couple lines of "Live your Disney story" in the lower right quadrant on an AP yellow background, with a generic picture of a couple in front of Cindy's castle. Very deeply planned, I'm sure. 😆

V_L_Raptor

I bet they look so happy and without a phone in their hand on the Disney app all day too?

It's more of a "gleeful and unbothered Disney Adult" kind of vibe. They may have stowed their phones for their private PhotoPass shoot... or something. Much more giddy than most guests I've seen over the past five years or so!

JD80

• Tower of Terror had 695 guests enter standby and 223 (or 24% of all guests) enter the Lightning Lane
Tower seemed to start the morning running at around 1,000 guests/hour, or roughly 2/3rds of the max capacity we've ever observed (1,470/hour).

Railway seemed to run at 1,100/hour and we've seen hourly exit counts at 1,640, so also ~2/3rds of max capacity.

Smugglers Run seemed to be at ~900 guests/hour and the most we've counted is 1,459 exits/hour, so around 2/3rds of capacity.

Smugs went through a 15-minute period right at Early Entry opening where a total of 75 people entered the attraction. So the wait at the end of that 15-minute period should've been pretty close to zero.

ETA: Both Slink and ROTR had issues this morning. ROTR was offline briefly at rope drop, and Slink has had some weird hour-long slowdown/outage mid-morning twice this week. And I don't think it showed up as offline in MDE.

Love the data, thanks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
are they even selling the cheaper passes at the moment?
After a ridiculous, unacceptable 3 year pause… all are available.

Let’s recall: last year at this very time they announce the sale and kept stressing “limited availability”…so first thing in the morning there was a wait on the phone…by 11 am there was no wait…and then crickets ever since.

Wonder why that could be?

Tha Realest

This seems indicative of a very slow day

Disstevefan1

Boy, its a good thing they are going to fix the abuse of too many DAS using the lightning lane...

AEfx

They aren’t selling well…gee I wonder why?

They seem to be having issues in Orlando…gee I wonder why?
Totally anecdotal, but I have a snow bird neighbor who just returned from wintering in FL. I've known her family for years, but not her very well - had a convo with her the other day, and in small talk Florida came up and I told her how often I used to go to WDW, etc., and she's like "yeah, when any of us in the (retirement) community take our grandkids anywhere, it's Sea World or Legoland."

They are only 2-3 hours away from WDW, and used to be able to reasonably spend a weekend or a few weeknights there with their grandkids, but stopped that a number of years ago. Or a group of them would go up without kids. They would get an AP and go 3 or 4 times a year for a few days at a time. When the price of the AP's skyrockted, and resort prices went through the roof, now spending a couple of nights there is as expensive as spending a week elsewhere within driving distance, they just stopped going. Not a single person in her condo complex has one anymore.

Disstevefan1

For the longest time I thought WDW did not want APs or hated APs, but I think they really like TODAYS APs with blackout dates and PPRs.

They WANT folks to purchase todays devalued Annual Passes.

"Please purchase our APs but please don't use it to enter the parks. Please stay home or go to Disney Springs and purchase some food or merch"

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For the longest time I thought WDW did not want APs or hated APs, but I think the really like TODAYS APs with blackout dates and PPRs.

They WANT folks to purchase todays devalued Annual Passes.

"Please purchase our APs but please don't use it to enter the parks. Please stay home or go to Disney Springs and purchase some food or merch"
Of course they do…and want you to pay a high value for each day used upfront and go only when there’s less “whales” in the sea to harvest

It’s categorically stupid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom