Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

prberk

They flipped the script on the Wish and went from maybe 70/30 for regular vs premium shopping to 30/70. And from my experience you’re correct - There are far more people in the regular shops than the premium stores, even on the non-Triton ships.
Sounds like what happened to Downtown Disney when it became “Disney Springs”.

DisneyOutsider

Sounds like what happened to Downtown Disney when it became “Disney Springs”.
Na, Disney Springs is way more popular now than Downtown Disney ever was. Also I realize that different people have different perceptions of "high-end or "premium"", but the Springs is a pretty firmly middle class shopping district. Not much high end there at all from a product perspective.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Na, Disney Springs is way more popular now than Downtown Disney ever was. Also I realize that different people have different perceptions of "high-end or "premium"", but the Springs is a pretty firmly middle class shopping district. Not much high end there at all from a product perspective.
Yeah…I’d call it “disposables”…not really “high end”

I liked DTD…and I really like springs

But I think the traffic flow and transport is even more clunky than it was before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think Disney Springs is a big improvement over downtown Disney just based on the food offerings alone.
We've had some really good dinners there and the fast casual places are great too.
Well they needed it…cause the park/resort restaurants have been gutted pretty systematically

DisneyOutsider

Granted…

But they did that “department store thing” where there aren’t straight shot, A to B paths…elaborate angles, roundabouts, bridges and switchbacks

Always great in the heat 🙄
Meh.. they did their best to give it a sense of place. I'll gladly take it over the "premium outlets" outdoor mall experience.

dreday3

Well they needed it…cause the park/resort restaurants have been gutted pretty systematically

There a few resort restaurants we still enjoy - Three Bridges at Gran Destino/CSR, Boma and Jiko at AK. We also really liked Ale & Compass at Yacht Club for a great, late lunch. The breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno was good.

Sadly we did not like much at Polynesian and our last visit to California Grill wasn't good.

Parks - Tiffins, Skipper Canteen were favorites. Other World Showcase restaurants were fine to good, but nothing to write home about. We really did NOT like Le Cellier. We got it last minute last trip and kind of disappointed.

Just my thoughts and has nothing to do with park attendance. 😂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There a few resort restaurants we still enjoy - Three Bridges at Gran Destino/CSR, Boma and Jiko at AK. We also really liked Ale & Compass at Yacht Club for a great, late lunch. The breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno was good.

Sadly we did not like much at Polynesian and our last visit to California Grill wasn't good.

Parks - Tiffins, Skipper Canteen were favorites. Other World Showcase restaurants were fine to good, but nothing to write home about. We really did NOT like Le Cellier. We got it last minute last trip and kind of disappointed.

Just my thoughts and has nothing to do with park attendance. 😂
Le cellier is probably the worst lb for lb on property…that gets artificially inflated dining plan hype

Was a ripoff then and still will be 1/1/2024

My point was not the food is all bad. Not close. It’s that overall there is less “great”…and you’re talking about maybe 75ish? Sitdowns

I think the quick serve is a little better? That’s a plus

Last edited:

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
The layout of the Wish is so bad who could even find the shops?

Who builds a ship without a running\walking track, a tiny gym, a non-existent adult pool area, overcrowded restaurants, an overhyped Star Wars bar, a tiny teen club, and hallways so tiny that you have to turn sideways for someone to pass? The answer is Disney. I don't know who this ship was designed for, but definitely not for anyone who likes cruising.

I put the Wish and I fear the Treasure firmly in the fail column. I am holding out hope for the new private island.
At least one of the leads designing the Wish had never been on a cruise in their life at the time of designing the ship. It shows

Disstevefan1

The layout of the Wish is so bad who could even find the shops?

Who builds a ship without a running\walking track, a tiny gym, a non-existent adult pool area, overcrowded restaurants, an overhyped Star Wars bar, a tiny teen club, and hallways so tiny that you have to turn sideways for someone to pass? The answer is Disney. I don't know who this ship was designed for, but definitely not for anyone who likes cruising.

I put the Wish and I fear the Treasure firmly in the fail column. I am holding out hope for the new private island.
I do not know about ships, but this sure sounds like cost saving?

I am not defending designers but I can see in my mind the designers presenting perfect designs and the accountants, cutting, cutting, cutting.

However this happens, its not good.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do not know about ships, but this sure sounds like cost saving?

I am not defending designers but I can see in my mind the designers presenting perfect designs and the accountants, cutting, cutting, cutting.

However this happens, its not good.
The ship is on a tiny fraction larger than the dream class…

Which are all smaller than probably the top 10 ish sized “superships” classes launches since the early 2000s

Doesn’t mean “bigger is better”…that’s no guarantee…
But as far as size to fit things? That’s a problem

Disstevefan1

The ship is on a tiny fraction larger than the dream class…

Which are all smaller than probably the top 10 ish sized “superships” classes launches since the early 2000s

Doesn’t mean “bigger is better”…that’s no guarantee…
But as far as size to fit things? That’s a problem
Smaller ships cost less to build, right?

It doesn't matter whats offered on the Disney ships, folks will show up anyway because its Disney, right?

;)

Tha Realest

At least one of the leads designing the Wish had never been on a cruise in their life at the time of designing the ship. It shows
Where did this information come from?

Never mind, found it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Smaller ships cost less to build, right?

It doesn't matter whats offered on the Disney ships, folks will show up anyway because its Disney, right?

;)
Well it’s interesting that the estimated price for the wish was about the same as dream/fantasy…

That isn’t definitive. But if it’s true…it means a roughly 10% larger ship cost the same a full 10-15 years later to build?

That wouldn’t be good. I doubt they got “efficient” all of the sudden?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom