Into The Woods

Magenta Panther

AMAZING MERYL!

She may be an amazing actress, but she's also an amazing liar. Or haven't you heard about the slanderous things she said about Walt Disney during a speech she was giving to supposedly honor Emma Thompson, one of the stars of "Saving Mr. Banks"? She called Walt an anti-Semite and a "gender bigot". A lot of people came forward after her pathetic tirade and called her on it - people such as former Disney animator Floyd Norman and "Mary Poppins" songwriter Richard Sherman. But she has not retracted or apologized for her statements. Because in HER crowd it would politically incorrect to do so, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Here's how The Walt Disney Family Museum reacted to her speech: http://www.waltdisney.org/storyboard/defense-walt-disney

I'm not going to see "Into The Woods" and Streep is the reason why. That's my own personal decision. If others here plan to see it, I hope you enjoy it.

Jose

She may be an amazing actress, but she's also an amazing liar. Or haven't you heard about the slanderous things she said about Walt Disney during a speech she was giving to supposedly honor Emma Thompson, one of the stars of "Saving Mr. Banks"? She called Walt an anti-Semite and a "gender bigot". A lot of people came forward after her pathetic tirade and called her on it - people such as former Disney animator Floyd Norman and "Mary Poppins" songwriter Richard Sherman. But she has not retracted or apologized for her statements. Because in HER crowd it would politically incorrect to do so, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Here's how The Walt Disney Family Museum reacted to her speech: http://www.waltdisney.org/storyboard/defense-walt-disney

I'm not going to see "Into The Woods" and Streep is the reason why. That's my own personal decision. If others here plan to see it, I hope you enjoy it.
wow, didn't know about any of this... my question is.. why Disney chose her for this movie?

BuddyThomas

Oh get over it. The Disney Company allowed her to be hired. This movie is supposed to be absolutely amazing by all early reports I have heard and if you
decide not to see it based on this silliness, the only one you are hurting is yourself.

Sped2424

I get the love for disney I do. But to blindly follow a man you have never met and to boycott a film over 1 cast members words is a little...far. Besides you're really missing out, you mention how you love fairy tales when they keep their source material? Into the woods does an excellent job of that surprisingly. Up until the second act of course...But either way a magnificent play and surely film you are going to miss out on over some actress feelings on a man she has never met.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I took Streep's statement to be misinformed. Do you know how many people have written or said the same things all over the place over the years. It also was completely inappropriate time wise she was supposed to be honoring Emma Thompson's work. As she herself has done plenty of Disney pictures over the years, it came off like someone who had recently been told or found out these Disney "facts" and was outraged. Needless to say she was wrong and didn't fact check at all. Most of the media I read panned he big time for the comments and called it a "rant", many also fact checked her statements. I would love to know what she now thinks. I hope someone thinks to ask her now that press for Into the Woods is happening.

Magenta Panther

I get the love for disney I do. But to blindly follow a man you have never met and to boycott a film over 1 cast members words is a little...far. Besides you're really missing out, you mention how you love fairy tales when they keep their source material? Into the woods does an excellent job of that surprisingly. Up until the second act of course...But either way a magnificent play and surely film you are going to miss out on over some actress feelings on a man she has never met.

"Blindly"? I assure you, I have no blinders in regards to ANYBODY. Walt wasn't a saint, but he was a good man by all reliable accounts, and he certainly wasn't any of the things Ms. Streep accused him of. What would amount to being "blind" would be for me to shrug off what she said and patronize this film regardless. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it anyway, thanks to her, so why should I waste my time and money?

Magenta Panther

I think you'll live too. Go see American Sniper instead. Now there's some fun Christmas entertainment for you.
PS - I hope Santa brings you a muppet.

Now if you keep up that attitude, you'll get coal. :D Look, didn't I say that if people here DID want to see the film, I hope they enjoy it? That's called tolerance, and respect for a difference of opinion. Lighten up already.

Jose

tumblr_m1as4iD5le1qh3nyy.gif

Sped2424

"Blindly"? I assure you, I have no blinders in regards to ANYBODY. Walt wasn't a saint, but he was a good man by all reliable accounts, and he certainly wasn't any of the things Ms. Streep accused him of. What would amount to being "blind" would be for me to shrug off what she said and patronize this film regardless. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it anyway, thanks to her, so why should I waste my time and money?
boycotting a film over defending someones words against 2 people you have never personally met seems a little blind to me. BUT that's okay I guess, more into the woods goodness for me.

Magenta Panther

I'm light. You can see or skip whatever you want. What do I care? Disney is going to rock it all the way to the bank either way, and Meryl is on her way to another Oscar nomination.

Yeah, what DO you care? Darn good question. And if the film's a success, good for Disney! (Don't care about Meryl getting a nom. I seldom agree with what Oscar likes anyway).

Magenta Panther

boycotting a film over defending someones words against 2 people you have never personally met seems a little blind to me. BUT that's okay I guess, more into the woods goodness for me.

What's particularly interesting is that Meryl apparently had no trouble accepting a paycheck from a company founded by an anti-Semitic gender bigot. Talk about turning a blind eye.. ;)

Sped2424

What's particularly interesting is that Meryl apparently had no trouble accepting a paycheck from a company founded by an anti-Semitic gender bigot. Talk about turning a blind eye.. ;)
I am not saying I like her, I am just saying I am not going to let that affect her portrayal in the film. I could care less how she feels about walt however wrong she was, if she is great as the witch she is great as the witch. Now her being a racist or anything like that is a different story. But her not liking walt disney on false assumptions are things I can look past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom