I'm A Believer: The New System Works

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I have been a long naysayer and halfway supporter of the new MagicBands and FastPass+ but I have to eat my words. The system today is outstanding and works amazingly well.

With the recent update to allow real time additions to Fast Pass from the app, this is the perfect system.

We planned our trip only ~3 weeks in advance and were able to plan our 3 Fast Passes for everything we wanted pretty easily. New times are constantly opening up if you weren't able to get the most popular attractions like 7DMT, Toy Story, etc.

As many of you know, if you finish your 3 planned Fast Pass early in the day, you have the ability to get one at a time at any park as long as there is availability. From our experience (granted it was late April) there was always something we wanted to do. We must have used 8-10 Fast Passes per day and never waited anymore than 10 minutes in any line. The game changer is that you can do it from the app and get any ride, anywhere on property. No more running to the ride.

It's not just good for Fast Pass. The system seems completely stable, fast, and error-free. Park entry is WAY faster now. We had 0 issues the entire time. It worked every time with our meal plan, flawlessly. It seems quicker than ever before. The app is awesome. Tap to pay is awesome.

Disney is definitely going to get the data they want, which is the real goal. I'm fine with that. They can track everything: your habits, spending behavior, length of time spent in different areas, etc. It's limitless. They even integrate your name on rides like Small World and Haunted Mansion, giving you a personal touch.

I'm not sure it was worth billions, but I see this as only the beginning. They've basically fixed the waiting in line issues (although I haven't tried this at peak times at WDW). The convenience factor is awesome. This integrated system for paying, meal plan, fast pass, room entry, etc and seeing everything real time on the app is a game changer.

I'd like to see them add meal plan allotments somewhere on the app. I'm sure there are a ton of enhancements coming and I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Did Disney also get 1.9 billion dollars back? That'd help justify it. ;)
Seriously, though, I like to think it'll get nothing but better, but I still wish they had simply taken the existing FP system (no reservations til you're there, then you can hold one at a time) and put it on the RFID system.
If nothing else, they need to make sure the FP/SB ratio doesn't get out of whack, especially at shows like Fant!.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Did Disney also get 1.9 billion dollars back? That'd help justify it. ;)
Seriously, though, I like to think it'll get nothing but better, but I still wish they had simply taken the existing FP system (no reservations til you're there, then you can hold one at a time) and put it on the RFID system.
If nothing else, they need to make sure the FP/SB ratio doesn't get out of whack, especially at shows like Fant!.
That was an area I thought they did a good job too. The FP line always seemed to be essentially walk on, but the SB line was never something completely crazy like 150 minutes.

They did seem to give FP line the priority, but there weren't too many people making the FP line slow. I'd be interested to see the details in how many people they allow in the FP line at different time windows. I wonder how complex their logic actually is or if it's basically the same every day, every time and simply based on ride capacity.

Raineman

I completely agree, and for me, I think a great part of the system is that everything is tied in to one device-the Magic Band-and that the device itself is a wearable, hands free device. Even if the whole MM+ system was identical to how it is now, but, instead of a Magic Band, you had a card, it would not be as user friendly, as, every time you used a FP, entered the park, purchased something, paid for a meal, etc, you would be fumbling in your pocket or purse or wallet for your card-if you didn't lose it somewhere along the way.

DisneyFans4Life

I have to agree that the MB system is pretty cool and works really well. I know a lot of people complain about having to plan everything so far in advance, but for my family...we enjoy being able to reserve our spots for a specific attraction prior to arriving to the park. And we've seen them already make some updates and integrations with the MB system...so I can only assume it's going to get better.

danyoung56

When the Magic Band works, it's great. But I've had a bunch of trouble with it. Seems it had (and maybe still has) a problem with annual passes. I've had it work great before, and I've had visits where my park admission and FP+'s were associated with my AP ticket, and not the MB. Multiple calls to Disney tech support usually fixed the problem, but on some trips it's just easier to go with it the way it is. As long as I can still get into my hotel room, into the parks, access FP+ bookings and make purchases (including dining), I'm happy.

Spikerdink

I was admittedly a skeptic, and the first time out I was looking for it to fail, but have to agree it has been great.
I like (love) being able to look up my reservations and FP on the phone so far out so I can discuss with the travel group any plans - and they can review them on their phone when they want to.
Showed my 4 year old cousin (his first trip coming up with me this August) how he will open the door to our room, get in the park, and go on rides. He was excited to pick his color band....
So, all in all, not sure if the billion or so that was invested could have been better used to a new E ticket, but what we got is cool.

MississippiBelle

I was really nervous about it at first as well. I loved the new system though. We never had any issues during our last trip (Dec. 2014) and were able to change dining reservations and make new or edit existing fastpasses on the fly. We never had any issues with it even then. This time, we made all of our dining reservations online and had no trouble. I will say, though, we had issues trying to change a reservation about a week after we made it. We had to call the Dining reservation service in order to make the change. But other than that, I really like having everything in one place.

TubaGeek

... not sure if the billion or so that was invested could have been better used to a new E ticket, but what we got is cool.
Forbidden Journey and the original HP area cost Uni about $200 million. MM+ and FP+ is rumored to be about $2 billion.
So, if Disney were smarter with their money, they could have built TEN Hogsmeades AND Hogwartses instead of the controversial FP replacement.
Let that soak in. Then cry.

DisneyFans4Life

Forbidden Journey and the original HP area cost Uni about $200 million. MM+ and FP+ is rumored to be about $2 billion.
So, if Disney were smarter with their money, they could have built TEN Hogsmeades AND Hogwartses instead of the controversial FP replacement.
I'd be curious to see the maintenance cost of the MB system as compared to HP World. Sure the lands may have been cheaper up front...but would their maintenance costs be higher? Not to mention the upgrades and updates they can do with the MB. Not trying to be a smarta$$, honestly asking.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
While I agree with that, it's somewhat apples and oranges. WDW did need a streamlined system, similar to what they have today because of WDW's size, complexity, and number of guests. I don't think we've seen the last of the benefits it can do, so jury is still out.

I'm not sure it was worth nearly $2b, but let's be real...Disney has the money to do both and they chose to do the MagicBands. This was never an "either this or that" scenario. Disney's failure to build more E-Tickets isn't just a question of money. Certainly, money is an issue, but I feel like their reasons run deeper. It's a stubborn, complacent mentality that almost borders on a "why should we?" or "we don't have to" position.

It's unfortunate, but I don't think no MagicBands = $2b in park improvements. They would have just done something else and come up with other excuses as to why they don't need to expand WDW.

TubaGeek

I'd be curious to see the maintenance cost of the MB system as compared to HP World. Sure the lands may have been cheaper up front...but would their maintenance costs be higher? Not to mention the upgrades and updates they can do with the MB. Not trying to be a smarta$$, honestly asking.
I definitely wouldn't think that Hogsmeade is cheap to maintain. Aesthetically, WB and JKR have an exceptionally high standard. Technically, KUKA arms must be expensive to maintain (considering Disney can't keep the two at Stitch's Great Escape or the one at the Nemo ride operational), and there are MANY projectors on the ride that require MANY expensive bulbs. However, they're ROI is ASTRONOMICAL. That food and merch sells like hotcakes at a hotcake convention.

MM+ on the other hand, I sincerely doubt has had the effect they had hoped for on merchandise sales. They can sell some rubber trinkets, but they're not as popular as say trading pins. They do nothing to increase riders per hour, and the (so far, mostly disappointing) innovations they incorporate on the ride bring in no money. I don't know what updates they could implement to actually have a POSITIVE effect on the almighty dollar.
Doom & Gloomers Fail (again).

I'm not even sure how to respond to you.
While I agree with that, it's somewhat apples and oranges. WDW did need a streamlined system, similar to what they have today because of WDW's size, complexity, and number of guests. I don't think we've seen the last of the benefits it can do, so jury is still out.

I'm not sure it was worth nearly $2b, but let's be real...Disney has the money to do both and they chose to do the MagicBands. This was never an "either this or that" scenario. Disney's failure to build more E-Tickets isn't just a question of money. Certainly, money is an issue, but I feel like their reasons run deeper. It's a stubborn, complacent mentality that almost borders on a "why should we?" or "we don't have to" position.

It's unfortunate, but I don't think no MagicBands = $2b in park improvements. They would have just done something else and come up with other excuses as to why they don't need to expand WDW.
Yeah, you've pretty much nailed it. I'm just shocked such a penny-pinching company allowed MM+ to get so out of hand.

DisneyFans4Life

I definitely wouldn't think that Hogsmeade is cheap to maintain. Aesthetically, WB and JKR have an exceptionally high standard. Technically, KUKA arms must be expensive to maintain (considering Disney can't keep the two at Stitch's Great Escape or the one at the Nemo ride operational), and there are MANY projectors on the ride that require MANY expensive bulbs. However, they're ROI is ASTRONOMICAL. That food and merch sells like hotcakes at a hotcake convention.

MM+ on the other hand, I sincerely doubt has had the effect they had hoped for on merchandise sales. They can sell some rubber trinkets, but they're not as popular as say trading pins. They do nothing to increase riders per hour, and the (so far, mostly disappointing) innovations they incorporate on the ride bring in no money. I don't know what updates they could implement to actually have a POSITIVE effect on the almighty dollar.

I'm not even sure how to respond to you.

Yeah, you've pretty much nailed it. I'm just shocked such a penny-pinching company allowed MM+ to get so out of hand.
I think they're making a bigger effort now selling character MBs in addition to the little stick on things. I'm not sure of what else they could do, but if there's a way, Disney will find it.

Unomas

I love the new system. Change is sometimes difficult for people to accept. But I love the Magic Bands. It feels really progressive when you're there in the Disney bubble. And I have to admit, I'm a sucker for spending the extra and getting those customized bands. Great move all around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom