I'm A Believer: The New System Works

Noellikechristmas

I stayed on site last year and loved the system. I'm staying at shades of green this year and I'm a little bummed that I can't charge everything with my MB....guess I'll have to do it old school and take out my credit card. womp womp

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Cost withstanding, the narrative was the system was a complete failure and would result in a much worse experience for visitors. Real world feedback I've read is overwhelmingly opposite of that.
It's been discussed as nauseum, but it hasn't earned anywhere near what was promised for implementing it.

And now the parks are seeing the result as part of this. But let's not go there (yet) again.

fractal

It's been discussed as nauseum, but it hasn't earned anywhere near what was promised for implementing it.

And now the parks are seeing the result as part of this. But let's not go there (yet) again.

I believe this thread is about the user experience, not the cost/benefit of FF+ which really won't be known years from now as it's implemented in other parks. I would guess the cost to implement for each additional park would be progressively less as they learn from WDW implementation.

Back to user experience - the D&G crowd predicted a complete interface disaster if not major privacy issues, which is clearly not the case.

Kevin_W

I also should mention it was great for PhotoPass because it was just tap the picture after a ride or with a photographer and the pictures were available same day.

I think photopass and the on-ride photos in particular are the best implementation of the MB's. Not having to fumble in your pocket for a photopass card (even if you don't plan to but photopass/use their pictures) is nice.

I also really enjoy the lack of turnstiles. It's a little thing, but being able to jus twalk out of the park at the end of hte day instead of going through a turnstile makes me happy.

glvsav37

Did Disney also get 1.9 billion dollars back? That'd help justify it. ;)
Seriously, though, I like to think it'll get nothing but better, but I still wish they had simply taken the existing FP system (no reservations til you're there, then you can hold one at a time) and put it on the RFID system.
If nothing else, they need to make sure the FP/SB ratio doesn't get out of whack, especially at shows like Fant!.

this is what DL is going to be implementing.

I'll stand up for the naysayers and say that i'm still not in love with the system. My biggest grip is that it removes all spontaneity for the trip. Now, not only is all of my dining planned far in advance of me stepping foot on property, but now may park days are pretty much locked in as well with little to no flexibility if you are holding prime FP's

The example that happened to us was on our last trip, it rained consistently for the 1st 1/2 of the week and washed out our planned water park day, which is one of my daughter's favorite places to go. The second part of our trip we held very coveted (at the time) FP's for 7DMT and A&E meet and greet (with at the time had a 4-5 hour standby) smack dab in the middle of the day. We had to decide b/t the Fastpasses or rescheduling the waterpark day. In the end the FPs won out b/c there was no way of modifying or rescheduling them.

I know this may seem like one minor example, but it put us in a choose or lose situation and we felt locked into the FP's b/c we had to book them so much earlier.

IDK the solution...maybe (without running complex algorithms) if you are holding a certain FP, you get the availability to make 1 switch to later time regardless of availability? Maybe we could have changed one of those to much later in the day and slid the water park into the morning.

Otherwise, I think the overall system is convenient. Resort key, tickets, tap to pay and the ride photos all are great enhancements. Just don't like feeling committed to such a schedule on my vacation—I do that enough at work.

DisneyFans4Life

I'll stand up for the naysayers and say that i'm still not in love with the system. My biggest grip is that it removes all spontaneity for the trip. Now, not only is all of my dining planned far in advance of me stepping foot on property, but now may park days are pretty much locked in as well with little to no flexibility if you are holding prime FP's

The example that happened to us was on our last trip, it rained consistently for the 1st 1/2 of the week and washed out our planned water park day, which is one of my daughter's favorite places to go. The second part of our trip we held very coveted (at the time) FP's for 7DMT and A&E meet and greet (with at the time had a 4-5 hour standby) smack dab in the middle of the day. We had to decide b/t the Fastpasses or rescheduling the waterpark day. In the end the FPs won out b/c there was no way of modifying or rescheduling them.

I know this may seem like one minor example, but it put us in a choose or lose situation and we felt locked into the FP's b/c we had to book them so much earlier.

IDK the solution...maybe (without running complex algorithms) if you are holding a certain FP, you get the availability to make 1 switch to later time regardless of availability? Maybe we could have changed one of those to much later in the day and slid the water park into the morning.

Otherwise, I think the overall system is convenient. Resort key, tickets, tap to pay and the ride photos all are great enhancements. Just don't like feeling committed to such a schedule on my vacation—I do that enough at work.
Just to play devil's advocate...if you didn't preplan the larger attractions...would you still enjoy your vacation having to wait 90+ minutes for a ride or a M&G? I know you said you don't like having a rigid vacation, but for me, I don't want to waste my vacation waiting in lines and would much rather plan out FPs months in advance.

UpAllNight

For me the system isn't the issue..

It's ride capacity and the options available. If capacity and the quantity and quality of the attractions was increased I couldn't accept any realistic criticisms of Magic Bands. It's ok saying the system doesn't have issues in off peak April/May but the '4th fastpass' options come midday in MK in June weren't anything to shout about. And I didn't get first choice for first 3 either.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster

It's ride capacity and the options available. If capacity and the quantity and quality of the attractions was increased I couldn't accept any realistic criticisms of Magic Bands. It's ok saying the system doesn't have issues in off peak April/May but the '4th fastpass' options come midday in MK in June weren't anything to shout about. And I didn't get first choice for first 3 either.
To me, this is almost a completely separate issue. No doubt the MagicBands will STILL make July 4th a better experience, although perhaps not perfect. I have not used the MagicBands in a "peak" scenario.

April with new system = perfect. Absolutely almost no waiting on any attraction and the ability to do everything multiple times, even the most popular. Constantly new times opening.

July with new system = I'd bet is better, but still not perfect because Disney has not properly built out all the parks, particularly EPOCT and DHS. Reinforcements on the way, but EPCOT needs A LOT with no plans and DHS is 2 years away.

July with no MagicBands = Can't even go. Too miserable, too crowded, undoable.

I've completely stopped going to WDW during Spring Break, New Years/Xmas, Summer, and any major holiday. It's just no fun and no system will be able to fix that. Only massive expansion and or huge price increases will fix that.

UpAllNight

To me, this is almost a completely separate issue. No doubt the MagicBands will STILL make July 4th a better experience, although perhaps not perfect. I have not used the MagicBands in a "peak" scenario.

April with new system = perfect. Absolutely almost no waiting on any attraction and the ability to do everything multiple times, even the most popular. Constantly new times opening.

July with new system = I'd bet is better, but still not perfect because Disney has not properly built out all the parks, particularly EPOCT and DHS. Reinforcements on the way, but EPCOT needs A LOT with no plans and DHS is 2 years away.

July with no MagicBands = Can't even go. Too miserable, too crowded, undoable.

I've completely stopped going to WDW during Spring Break, New Years/Xmas, Summer, and any major holiday. It's just no fun and no system will be able to fix that. Only massive expansion and or huge price increases will fix that.

Ive grown to like to like the system but the nagging doubt is if the costs made to implement it had been spent on rides would I have a better/worse time at Disney, and my conclusion is Disney is a decade behind where they should be in terms of investment in new rides, and thus this system is at fault. If we could have both it'd have been perfect.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Ive grown to like to like the system but the nagging doubt is if the costs made to implement it had been spent on rides would I have a better/worse time at Disney, and my conclusion is Disney is a decade behind where they should be in terms of investment in new rides, and thus this system is at fault. If we could have both it'd have been perfect.
I made the argument earlier that I don't believe it was either $2b on the new system or $2b on new rides, attractions, and expansion. This administration just doesn't seem to want to spend money on WDW attractions because it's good enough as is (they believe this because numbers don't lie).

My guess is the $2b would have gone to other projects outside of WDW. WDW is viewed as a cash cow and MagicBands were another way to milk the cow.

Raineman

I don't think the new MM+ system really has anything to do with decreased spontaneity. With record crowds every year at WDW, just winging it would have you missing out on the ADRs you wanted, and it would have you waiting in long lines for almost every attraction. At least with the advanced preplanning, you can be assured that only part of your day will be spent getting frustrated with long lines and busy restaurants. Blame the huge crowds for lack of spontaneity, not the new system.

glvsav37

Just to play devil's advocate...if you didn't preplan the larger attractions...would you still enjoy your vacation having to wait 90+ minutes for a ride or a M&G? I know you said you don't like having a rigid vacation, but for me, I don't want to waste my vacation waiting in lines and would much rather plan out FPs months in advance.

I don't disagree....but at least if I needed to move a park day for whatever reason, I could be there at rope drop and claim the FP I wanted. Under this system, I have zero wiggle room and I'm at the park the day I book come heck or high water.

again...it really only comes into play when there is some event that forces you to alter your plans.

But was also always left the last day open and gave the kids the opportunity to choose their park to close out the trip. Again, can't really do that now.

glvsav37

this....as July/August guests only, I can attest to this. And maybe that is skewing my opinion of it.

bethymouse

I still miss the old fast pass system. I liked being able to just go up spontaneously and grab a fast pass for later. I have become "ok" with the new MB. It is simple. But, sometimes we have trouble getting into the parks, and we hold back the lines because Mom's MB wouldn't go "green". It is a nice souvenir .;) I guess I just don't like the "tier" system of FP+. I should be able to book my favorite rides. I shouldn't have to choose between TSM Mania and RNRoller Coaster!:( Oh well. It is what it is.:)

jlsHouston

I'm kind of where @bethymouse is. I really dislike the Tier system, even though I get the reasoning behind it and I get there are lots of benefits to picking out your FP's in advance and controlling time of day of those FP's. I realize the system is working a lot better than it did the first year and guests all over are enamored of more ability to pre plan and get more than 3 FP's and to now be able to get the 4th and 5th and so on from the app rather than be in a park and stand in line. Not to sound like Eeyore but my execution of the new FP system never fails to glitch out on me. Either I am rained on or someone starts a meltdown or something happens and then just getting the 3 FP's used and much less acquiring more is the rare day at Disney.

I will tell you what I am enamored of though is that freaking rider swap thing. That is the best thing ever.

jlsHouston

I totally agree with this. This is much more often my experience with FP+. And I will say that I feel like FP+ has just mentally put me into a state of disappointment. I can't believe how accepting I was when legacy FP's were gone by 10 for TSMM or Soarin and I would just move on but I can't hardly handle when my perfectly planned park day goes haywire and then I try to return and change my FP times and there are none of my top choices left.

cheezbat

I find it ironic that I'm seeing these kind of threads on the boards I post on after my past two experiences (today was one of them) with MM+ were all but good.
Issues with my magicband, loss of fast pass selections, times changed without my approval, issues with the app AND the website.

Lets just say I wasn't very happy. $2 billion dollars blown on something very unnecessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom