I wrote this letter about the EPCOT GotG rumor if you're interested....

hpyhnt 1000

Hopefully they don't report back to bob like this "Sir we need to revamp imagination asap!" then iger is like "I got it inside out MORE IP'S! STAT"

Except that would be an actual improvement over the mess that's there now.

Out of all the places where an IP could best fit in Epcot, it's in Imagination, and of all the properties, Inside Out works perfectly. Have Figment make a cameo and I think the vast majority of us would gladly welcome such a change.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Except that would be an actual improvement over the mess that's there now.

Out of all the places where an IP could best fit in Epcot, it's in Imagination, and of all the properties, Inside Out works perfectly. Have Figment make a cameo and I think the vast majority of us would gladly welcome such a change.
Imagination and emotion are two distinctly seperate things.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Imagination and emotion are two distinctly seperate things.
I've always wondered why folks thought Inside Out was such a fit. Because they went through Imaginationland? The film doesn't have anything to do with Imagination (aside from being an imaginative film concept). Emotions yes. It fits closer to Wonders of Life due to its not so subtle tie to Cranium Command.
Imagination should stress the importance of dreams and imagination in the creative process. The idea that every new idea, product, story, song, medical treatment, exploration... They all involve using the mind to think of something new, something that does not yet exist.
Imagination was the thing that united the entire Future World section of the park. Through imagination and scientific exploration the other pavilions would become reality if we all worked (and dreamed) towards a brighter future.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Would you accept this as a response.
Thank you for your letter and I really appreciate the feedback so here is what we decided to do. We are going to turn WOL into horizons however, demolish universe of Energy and go ahead with a guardians attraction?

Personally no. (can't speak for @George however)

I don't want to bring back old attractions for the most part. I want new attractions. I just want them to match in theme and purpose with what the park was built to do. Bringing back an old attraction is just as lazy and unoriginal as shoehorning in a property that doesn't fit.

I generally agree with Scott. However, if I got the letter that Mr. @brandondad14 described, I may start bargaining like a madman since it would imply I had waaaay more leverage that I imagined for some reason that I didn't fully understand. I mean, they got my letter and went, "Holy Hell, Batman. We'd better build Horizons to appease this guy." First, I'd try and get that Communicore hat I mentioned earlier.

matt9112

I generally agree with Scott. However, if I got the letter that Mr. @brandondad14 described, I may start bargaining like a madman since it would imply I had waaaay more leverage that I imagined for some reason that I didn't fully understand. I mean, they got my letter and went, "Holy Hell, Batman. We'd better build Horizons to appease this guy." First, I'd try and get that Communicore hat I mentioned earlier.

what if we all ask for horizons bahahahahaha

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I actually think BH6 would work really well in a new Life/Biology pavilion. If they want more IP that fits, they could even clone an existing attraction and put Ratatouille in France. Mulan in China works. For me, its not really IP versus non IP....just some thought given to what goes where, coupled with the nerve to create something novel just for a theme park at a bit higher frequency. Also, a realization that things like Dreamfinder, Figment, and that jerky cop hiding behind the sign in WoM to apparently give you a ticket for going 2.5 mph, are also valuable even though they weren't in a movie. To be completely frank, I don't think updating the original EPCOT and occasionally adding to it should've been hard.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I've always wondered why folks thought Inside Out was such a fit. Because they went through Imaginationland? The film doesn't have anything to do with Imagination (aside from being an imaginative film concept). Emotions yes. It fits closer to Wonders of Life due to its not so subtle tie to Cranium Command.
Imagination should stress the importance of dreams and imagination in the creative process. The idea that every new idea, product, story, song, medical treatment, exploration... They all involve using the mind to think of something new, something that does not yet exist.
Imagination was the thing that united the entire Future World section of the park. Through imagination and scientific exploration the other pavilions would become reality if we all worked (and dreamed) towards a brighter future.

Perfectly stated. Bravo!!!

The Empress Lilly

I actually think BH6 would work really well in a new Life/Biology pavilion. If they want more IP that fits, they could even clone an existing attraction and put Ratatouille in France. Mulan in China works. For me, its not really IP versus non IP....just some thought given to what goes where, coupled with the nerve to create something novel just for a theme park at a bit higher frequency. Also, a realization that things like Dreamfinder, Figment, and that jerky cop hiding behind the sign in WoM to apparently give you a ticket for going 2.5 mph, are also valuable even though they weren't in a movie. To be completely frank, I don't think updating the original EPCOT and occasionally adding to it should've been hard.
Mulan and Rat in WS would:

-Limit what it means to be Disney. I.e. more than an animation factory. It is exactly EPCOT that showed just what Disney storytelling was capable of.
-Undo the difference between the MK and EPCOT. The blessing of size can support the richness of variation in parks.
-Undermine the cohesion between pavilions. World Fantasyland is fine, great even. WS is great too. A mixture is sad.
-Undermine the purpose of WS. It's a Disneyfied representation of countries, a showcase. Together forming a community, as such an integral part of EPCOT the theme park that complements and completes the otherwise sterile, technological FW.
-Clash in sentiment. WS has a more sedate, more serene, even rarified sentiment. Perhaps this is why the MK has better withstood toonification, self-referentialism and celebfication than EPCOT. EPCOT, that looked so robust, as if forged of steel and granite, but turned out to be the most fragile park.

Phil12

It's a small world. I too spoke with a representative from WDW Guest Experience Services concerning rumors I had heard about GoTG possibly being used at ToT in DHS. I was told that it was indeed under consideration but that no decision had been made yet. However, the representative told me that the WDW DHS ToT GoTG pitch had been well received by "upper management".

Bacon

It's a small world. I too spoke with a representative from WDW Guest Experience Services concerning rumors I had heard about GoTG possibly being used at ToT in DHS. I was told that it was indeed under consideration but that no decision had been made yet. However, the representative told me that the WDW DHS ToT GoTG pitch had been well received by "upper management".
I have heard joe rhode said there is no plans for any more tower of terror attractions to be replaced not saying they will replace tot with anything but not GOTG now back to ranting about 2016 Epcot ok?

Last edited:

POLY LOVER

Disney or Epcot is dead as we know it. The suits have no feel for being custodians of walts dream. It's like the idiot son who inherits a business from the hard working old man and blows it up. When frozen went in someone decided that Epcot needs to distance itself from its original idea. If guardians goes in then that's the definitive statement. I love the concept of Epcot, if someone at Disney is making this call based on attendance or interest in the pavilions then they only have themselves to blame for letting it go downhill and people getting bored. Where are the imagineers who could bring the wonder back into Epcot.

Phil12

I have heard joe rhode said there is no plans for any more tower of terror attractions to be replaced not saying they will replace tot with anything but not GOTG now back to ranting about 2016 Epcot ok?
Joe Rohde wanted to keep The Adventurers Club too but saner voices prevailed.

Cowboy Steve

My beloved EPCOT has definitely lost it's way... which is sad as the original concept was rock solid. Adding an attraction like Frozen, to me anyway, is just lazy. Instead of coming up with attractions that will educate and spark the wonder and imaginations of the visitors, they are going with the 'quick fix' changes that don't really fit in with the original concept of EPCOT. And yes, to me it will always be EPCOT... not Epcot... :D

It's nice to see they at least acknowledge those with an opinion. Thanks to the OP for sharing your letter and response(s). It was well written.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom