I thought the sky liner was built to minimize stops.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And THAT is the problem. It should have been a priority.

Furthermore look at the map. A small added leg would have addressed this issue. Compared to the whole project that leg would have been a very short add on.

You can already walk, or take the boat between the two parks so there was no pressing need for a new method of transportation on that route. The Skyline is designed to get people back and forth from the hotels to the parks. Connecting DHS directly would have required another line with more towers, and larger stations, which would have been tricky at both the Epcot and DHS ends of the line.

thomas998

What exactly is in-efficient about it? Disney doesn't want people out of the parks, because then they are not spending money.
Sure they want them in the parks. But they know a visitor isn't going to be spending money every minute of their day in the parks, so something that occupies their time outside the park but still within Disney's control is perfect for them. I wonder if they have canned commercials for Disney things on the gondolas... that is what I would expect to happen at some point, you have a captive audience for 10 to 15 minutes so you can bombard them with a pretty long sales pitch for a Disney Cruise, Halloween party tickets or any number of things... If they haven't set them up for commercials yet, its only a matter of time.

thomas998

I have a feeling the sky liner is something that will disappear
It might... I'm just curious as to how they will keep people from chunking things out the windows. I know they used to have a skylinger ride at a state fair I went to growing up, but after teens kept dropping things onto the people below they finally shut it down.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It might... I'm just curious as to how they will keep people from chunking things out the windows. I know they used to have a skylinger ride at a state fair I went to growing up, but after teens kept dropping things onto the people below they finally shut it down.

There are no windows that open, it's a sealed unit including the door while in motion. The vents have a wire mesh to help prevent anything from being dropped or thrown from the gondola.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There are no windows that open, it's a sealed unit including the door while in motion. The vents have a wire mesh to help prevent anything from being dropped or thrown from the gondola.
It's not quite sealed -- there must be floor drains that might be surreptitiously used to sprinkle the area beneath the gondola...

stratman50th

I always thought it was to get the people in the values of that area to parks, kind of like the monorail loop hotels........ but not exactly a monorail.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, no they don't. The system is open now so only people who've ridden the system have a right to comment on how it works.
Any new mechanical system installed by Disney has a shakedown period that takes time to work out mechanical problems, training deficiencies, and lack of an applied operational footprint.

So I don’t get the jump to criticize OR chastise.

I’ve watched people for 4 months spin how Star Wars land low appeal is completely explained away by a delayed ride that no one has ever seen. It’s all 1000% speculation and not very likely to be true as a concept anyway.

I wish we’d apply your criteria there

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So now we have a frustrating multi stop boat ride from Studio to Epcot.....3 stops which needlessly subject park-to-park guest to
far more travel time and another terribly non direct sky route.

I think the Disney decision makers must have had a lot of fun years back taking planes from LAX to JFK...... via Dallas, Chicago then ATL.
I think the flaw here is that you’re assuming maximum speed was a goal. There’s little reason to assume that.

And also, perhaps the route is determined based on ground stability, cutaways for other reasons, master plan placement, etc??
Reminds me of me being a lost tourist many years ago taking a cab from the airport to downtown San Francisco. The taxi driver took the long "scenic" route.
Lol...you never go the same way twice in San Fran 😎

mergatroid

Like a charm. We were stopped above Carribean Beach yesterday and it wasnt uncomfortable at all.

But, but, but, we were assured you'd be baked alive? Are you sure you're not really lying to us and were actually burned to death in a 'covered up Disney Skyliner airborne fatality' and are no posting from the afterlife? :eek:

danyoung56

I just rode yesterday with a Disney engineer who has been working on the system for about 6 months. He said by far the stops are human error. When they need to put a "handicap capable" unit online, the operator has a very limited time to do it. It's easy to miss pushing the button at the right time, which causes the entire line to stop. It then takes 3 or 4 minutes to reset and restart. I would guess that these kind of stops will go away as CMs get more training.

elcheapo

Ok so I never rode yet but maybe this was discussed before but I would like to know if each individual gondola had the capability of broadcasting a live cast members voice in the case of an emergency. The same way the monorail pilot can cut off the prerecorded message and give you an update for a stoppage etc.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Ok so I never rode yet but maybe this was discussed before but I would like to know if each individual gondola had the capability of broadcasting a live cast members voice in the case of an emergency. The same way the monorail pilot can cut off the prerecorded message and give you an update for a stoppage etc.
One of the videos above showed that when the line stops, the regular spiels stop and "please wait" spiels kick in... don't know if they're live or memorex, but it tells me there are emergency comms available, probably at the touch of an appropriate button.

Jon81uk

Have you seen the map of this thing?
It is beyond asinine. It looks like it belongs in the movie 'Idiocracy'

Moving from Studio to Epcot is an obnoxiously unnecessary journey of about 4.5+ longer.

A straight leg out of Studios to meet one of the "turns" would have shaved off about 4.5 to 5 times the unnecessary travel.

The system is designed to get people from resorts to parks and back again. The travel from park to park is a bonus feature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom