I just dont see how you guys do it.....

Disney_Dad88

Original Poster
I just don't see how some of you cope with being away from Disney World. Its been about three months since our last trip and I miss that place so bad it hurts. I don't post on here a lot but I read all of your comments and topics and it helps sometimes but man it just kills me not to be there.

I haven't done a trip report yet because I was so sad about leaving that I just never got around to it. I'll set it up a little. Its me and my wife and two daughters (7&6) and we stayed at Art of Animation for 8 days, 7 nights back in January. It was so magical and it was their first time ever going. I had been there twice before but it had been about 9 years since the last time so a lot had changed and it was great living those memories again. We had such a great time and it was as if time stopped while we were there. Unfortunatley it didn't and we had to face the harsh reality of leaving and coming back to to the real world.

Since then, its all I can think about. We live about 7 hours away so Disney World is easy enough to get to, but I'm not able to go every year like some so its gonna be about another 3 years until we go again and I'm gonna be honest, its tough to deal with lol.

I don't really have a point for this thread but I think pretty much everybody on here has this same hurt at some point. I plan on posting a lot more because talking with people that share the same passion for Disney is about the only way to take away the pain until we return.

Disney_Dad88

Original Poster
Absence makes the heart grow fonder. We made the mistake of going too frequently and the magic began to wane. I am not saying this happens for everyone but for us we went too often and certain aspects began to lose their shine. Just puttin' that out there for ya.

Maybe its a blessing we cant afford to go every year. We make good money but when we go we like to do it big...so we like to save a lot of money to do everything we want to do and stay for a while. The thing I'm looking forward to most is that the next time we go, Avatar Land, Disney Springs, and The Seven Dwarves Coaster will all be up and running.

HouCuseChickie

While everyone is different, I find doing a full scale trip report helps. Somehow going through and posting a chunk of my pictures as well as telling the story of our trip helps me get to relive the trip all over again and find some closure when I wrap it up. The trips themselves go so fast once you're there, but with the report- you can linger more over those details that initially flew by. While the bug will come back to return, the reporting of the trip at least seems to cut the sadness.

If you live close enough to drive to FL for a long weekend...you might even consider popping into one park for a day just to get some of the magic. It's certainly not cheap nor is it the immersive experience of a multi day trip- you do get a nice little shot of magic.

Rodb

I just don't see how some of you cope with being away from Disney World. Its been about three months since our last trip and I miss that place so bad it hurts. I don't post on here a lot but I read all of your comments and topics and it helps sometimes but man it just kills me not to be there.

I haven't done a trip report yet because I was so sad about leaving that I just never got around to it. I'll set it up a little. Its me and my wife and two daughters (7&6) and we stayed at Art of Animation for 8 days, 7 nights back in January. It was so magical and it was their first time ever going. I had been there twice before but it had been about 9 years since the last time so a lot had changed and it was great living those memories again. We had such a great time and it was as if time stopped while we were there. Unfortunatley it didn't and we had to face the harsh reality of leaving and coming back to to the real world.

Since then, its all I can think about. We live about 7 hours away so Disney World is easy enough to get to, but I'm not able to go every year like some so its gonna be about another 3 years until we go again and I'm gonna be honest, its tough to deal with lol.

I don't really have a point for this thread but I think pretty much everybody on here has this same hurt at some point. I plan on posting a lot more because talking with people that share the same passion for Disney is about the only way to take away the pain until we return.

I agree. We are thirty days from going and I already want to plan the next trip , but who knows when that will be. It has gotten to the point with all the planning that you need to do , it starts to become part of your vacation 180 days out. I,m sure the trip will go by in a blink of an eye,but if I can convince the wife to go back again,that will be enough to get me past the fact I can't be there more often

AswaySuller

I used to go very year from the UK but a combo of this, getting older and TDO tightening their purse strings did make some of the magic fade.

I went this time last year and I'm missing it terribly but hoping to return next year and when we do it will be so much better, it's almost worth the wait.

LucyK

I like to space my trips around, going every 1 1/2 to 3 years between trips. It makes being there extra special and something to look forward to. Plus it keeps us on track with our savings, we have a special account we nicknamed the WDW Fund and every penny we put there get us one step closer to one more Disney trip.

Disney_Dad88

Original Poster
I like to space my trips around, going every 1 1/2 to 3 years between trips. It makes being there extra special and something to look forward to. Plus it keeps us on track with our savings, we have a special account we nicknamed the WDW Fund and every penny we put there get us one step closer to one more Disney trip.

I like the idea of the savings account. Every penny you can put it gets you closer to the magic.

Spike-in-Berlin

Now imagine what the post-disney-depression must be if you live 4800 miles away and have to cross an ocean to get there. I always need weeks to come over it and a good help are my WDW-homevideos of monumental length (the shortest of the newer ones is 7 hours, the longest nearly 15 hours). It really helps, if you kinda can "go back" at any time, take a ride on the Jungle Cruise or the Haunted Mansion, watch Wishes or Fantasmic (of course in full length) or even go back to the Pop food court for "a large pizza" or "sit" in the lobby of the Poly or the Wilderness Lodge. To make this "going back" at any time as immersive as possible you have to videotape absolutely everything from your WDW resort to all the park rides and shows and entertainment, to shops and restaurants and even food and merchandise (I even film several rides with boats, buses and the monorail) and of course a really large TV set is of course quite helpful for increasing the escapist immersion, ours is 50 inches.
So my advice is buy a camcorder if you not already own one and begin videotaping your trip to the world. I really don`t know sometimes what I would do without them. In those moments I sometimes remember coming back to Germany in 1982 from my first trip to the USA, with Florida and WDW (ONE day at the MK, can you believe that?) and all I had to remember WDW was a LP of the park and a book. I stayed at the house of my grandparents in West Germany for the rest of my school holidays and finally they couldn't stand it any longer listening to the MSEP and Yoho and Grimm grinning ghosts when I played it on the stereo for the zillionth time.:D

Disney_Dad88

Original Poster
Now imagine what the post-disney-depression must be if you live 4800 miles away and have to cross an ocean to get there. I always need weeks to come over it and a good help are my WDW-homevideos of monumental length (the shortest of the newer ones is 7 hours, the longest nearly 15 hours). It really helps, if you kinda can "go back" at any time, take a ride on the Jungle Cruise or the Haunted Mansion, watch Wishes or Fantasmic (of course in full length) or even go back to the Pop food court for "a large pizza" or "sit" in the lobby of the Poly or the Wilderness Lodge. To make this "going back" at any time as immersive as possible you have to videotape absolutely everything from your WDW resort to all the park rides and shows and entertainment, to shops and restaurants and even food and merchandise (I even film several rides with boats, buses and the monorail) and of course a really large TV set is of course quite helpful for increasing the escapist immersion, ours is 50 inches.
So my advice is buy a camcorder if you not already own one and begin videotaping your trip to the world. I really don`t know sometimes what I would do without them. In those moments I sometimes remember coming back to Germany in 1982 from my first trip to the USA, with Florida and WDW (ONE day at the MK, can you believe that?) and all I had to remember WDW was a LP of the park and a book. I stayed at the house of my grandparents in West Germany for the rest of my school holidays and finally they couldn't stand it any longer listening to the MSEP and Yoho and Grimm grinning ghosts when I played it on the stereo for the zillionth time.:D

Well I live in South Alabama almost in Florida and its only about a 7 hour drive for us. I couldn't imagine living that far from it. See I hate going anywhere like that for just a day but just knowing that its within driving distance if we decided to get a wild hair and go for a day or so helps ease the pain. I just love the place so much, as well as anything Disney related. The music, atmosphere, food, etc. is just intoxicating. When we went last time we took a lot of pictures, but my problem with the camcorder is that I just couldn't walk around all day filming it and trying to enjoy it at the same time. For me, it would take away from the excitement of it all if I walked around with a camcorder all day long up to my face, though when you are gone from WDW it would definetly be good to have it all on film, so I get your point.

BigTxEars

Yeah it does make you miss the place huh? :)

We only go once a year, with the flight cost and the kids in school it just does not let us go more than once. Now once the kids are gone that might change. :)

We bought into DVC this year as a way of easing our minds that we will be going for a long time to come. It did help us feel better about only getting to go once a year now, knowing that we will be able to go so many more times in the future. The next trip is in a little over 40 days, the things we are not doing this trip don't bother us because we know we can catch them next trip. Now DVC is not needed to know that you are going for years to come but it did make us feel better. We will break even after 7-8 years of going so the cost was a factor in buying but the feeling was more important to us. Money comes and goes, those feelings are more important to us. :)

Last edited:

Disney_Dad88

Original Poster
Yeah it does make you miss the place huh? :)

We only go once a year, with the flight cost and the kids in school it just doe snot let us go more than once. Now once the kids are gone that might change. :)

We bought into DVC this year as a way of easing our minds that we will be going for a long time to come. It did help us feel better about only getting to go once a year now, knowing that we will be able to go so many more times in the future. The next trip is in a little over 40 days, the things we are not doing this trip don't bother us because we know we can catch them next trip. Now DVC is not needed to know that you are going for years to come but it did make us feel better. We will break even after 7-8 years of going so the cost was a factor in buying but the feeling was more important to us. Money comes and goes, those feelings are more important to us. :)

Love this post. You only live once so whatever can get you there ( or wherever you want to go) is what you need to do.

Susan Savia

I miss visiting WDW a lot. We were there in February and are planning a trip in September and again in January.
Usually its just once a year, but we want to do the Halloween party this year. When we're not there I find reading trip reports and checking in here helps a lot.

BigTxEars

I miss visiting WDW a lot. We were there in February and are planning a trip in September and again in January.
Usually its just once a year, but we want to do the Halloween party this year. When we're not there I find reading trip reports and checking in here helps a lot.

NSSHP! :)

Britt

We havent been since 2012 and dont really have any intention of going any time in the neat future. Better for our wallet and letting them get some of this construction out of the way and done. My kiddos will be older and it will be FAR more enjoyable :)

Scooter

We went from twice a year to once a year and I have to say this....it's killing me and we have already decided that starting next year, we will be back to twice a year. Hard to explain but after 20 years of going twice a year or more (Yes...we went 3 times one year) once a year just won't cut it. Shame on you Disney World for being so much fun that we can't stay away!

cw1982

I'm honestly blown away by how often some people get to go to WDW... lol. I'm a tad jealous!

DH and I are going for the first time as a couple (first time as an adult for me, first time as someone big enough to ride anything for him), and I'm pretty much obsessing over this trip, mainly because it gives me something happy to think about right now ;) I refuse to think about how I'm going to deal if I get hit with this down slump that some talk about after leaving WDW.

I guess my situation is a little different, though, as DH and I have some huge plans for the next few years that may make it hard to be too sad about leaving WDW for too long, if all goes according to plan. Let's just say that, if we have our way, the next time we get to go there it won't be as just a couple. :joyfull: So hopefully I won't have to experience this too much!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom