Hurricane Matthew

JohnD

Original Poster
WDW and Orange County area now under a Hurricane Warning:
https://weather.com/weather/alerts/...ificance=W&areaid=FLZ045&office=KMLB&etn=1014
  • Issuing Office: Melbourne
    Source: The National Weather Service

11:12am EDT, Wed Oct 5

HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT

... HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS HURRICANE WIND CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THIS AREA AND WITHIN THE NEXT 36 HOURS

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED - ORLANDO - APOPKA - CHRISTMAS

* WIND - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: EQUIVALENT TROPICAL STORM FORCE WIND WITH GUSTS TO HURRICANE FORCE - PEAK WIND FORECAST: 50-60 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 75 MPH - WINDOW FOR TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS: THURSDAY EVENING UNTIL SATURDAY MORNING

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: HIGH - THE WIND THREAT HAS REMAINED NEARLY STEADY FROM THE PREVIOUS ASSESSMENT. - EMERGENCY PLANS SHOULD INCLUDE A REASONABLE THREAT FOR HURRICANE FORCE WIND OF 74 TO 110 MPH OF EQUIVALENT CATEGORY 1 TO 2 INTENSITY. - TO BE SAFE, AGGRESSIVELY PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL OF EXTENSIVE WIND IMPACTS. REMAINING EFFORTS TO SECURE PROPERTIES SHOULD NOW BE BROUGHT TO COMPLETION. - DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING WIND IS POSSIBLE. FAILURE TO ADEQUATELY SHELTER MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR LOSS OF LIFE. MOVE TO SAFE SHELTER BEFORE THE WIND BECOMES HAZARDOUS.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: EXTENSIVE - CONSIDERABLE ROOF DAMAGE TO STURDY BUILDINGS, WITH SOME HAVING WINDOW, DOOR, AND GARAGE DOOR FAILURES LEADING TO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE. MOBILE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED, WITH SOME DESTROYED. DAMAGE ACCENTUATED BY AIRBORNE PROJECTILES. LOCATIONS MAY BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS. - MANY LARGE TREES SNAPPED OR UPROOTED ALONG WITH FENCES AND ROADWAY SIGNS BLOWN OVER. - SOME ROADS IMPASSABLE FROM LARGE DEBRIS, AND MORE WITHIN URBAN OR HEAVILY WOODED PLACES. SEVERAL BRIDGES, CAUSEWAYS, AND ACCESS ROUTES IMPASSABLE. - LARGE AREAS WITH POWER AND COMMUNICATIONS OUTAGES.

* FLOODING RAIN - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: - PEAK RAINFALL AMOUNTS: ADDITIONAL 2-4 INCHES, WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: MODERATE - THE FLOODING RAIN THREAT HAS REMAINED NEARLY STEADY FROM THE PREVIOUS ASSESSMENT. - EMERGENCY PLANS SHOULD INCLUDE A REASONABLE THREAT FOR MODERATE FLOODING WHERE PEAK RAINFALL TOTALS NOTABLY EXCEED AMOUNTS CONDUCIVE FOR FLASH FLOODING AND RAPID INUNDATION. RESCUES AND EMERGENCY EVACUATIONS ARE POSSIBLE. - TO BE SAFE, EARNESTLY PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL OF SIGNIFICANT FLOODING RAIN IMPACTS. - DANGEROUS FLOODING IS POSSIBLE. FAILURE TO TAKE ACTION MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR LOSS OF LIFE. IF FLOOD RELATED WATCHES AND WARNINGS ARE ISSUED, HEED RECOMMENDED ACTIONS.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: SIGNIFICANT - MODERATE RAINFALL FLOODING MAY PROMPT SEVERAL EVACUATIONS AND RESCUES. - RIVERS AND TRIBUTARIES MAY QUICKLY BECOME SWOLLEN WITH SWIFT CURRENTS AND OVERSPILL THEIR BANKS IN A FEW PLACES, ESPECIALLY IN USUALLY VULNERABLE SPOTS. SMALL STREAMS, CREEKS, CANALS, AND DITCHES WILL OVERFLOW. - FLOOD WATERS CAN ENTER SOME STRUCTURES OR WEAKEN FOUNDATIONS. SEVERAL PLACES MAY EXPERIENCE EXPANDED AREAS OF RAPID INUNDATION AT UNDERPASSES, LOW-LYING SPOTS, AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS. SOME STREETS AND PARKING LOTS TAKE ON MOVING WATER AS STORM DRAINS AND RETENTION PONDS OVERFLOW. DRIVING CONDITIONS WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS WITH SOME ROAD AND BRIDGE CLOSURES.

* TORNADO - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: - SITUATION IS SOMEWHAT FAVORABLE FOR TORNADOES

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: ELEVATED - THE TORNADO THREAT HAS REMAINED NEARLY STEADY FROM THE PREVIOUS ASSESSMENT. - WHEN IMPLEMENTING EMERGENCY PLANS, INCLUDE A REASONABLE THREAT FOR ISOLATED TORNADOES. - TO BE SAFE, PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL OF LIMITED TORNADO IMPACTS. - LISTEN FOR TORNADO WATCHES AND WARNINGS. BE READY TO SHELTER QUICKLY IF A TORNADO APPROACHES.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: LIMITED - THE OCCURRENCE OF ISOLATED TORNADOES CAN HINDER THE EXECUTION OF EMERGENCY PLANS DURING TROPICAL EVENTS. - A FEW PLACES MAY EXPERIENCE TORNADO DAMAGE, ALONG WITH POWER AND COMMUNICATIONS DISRUPTIONS. - LOCATIONS COULD REALIZE ROOFS PEELED OFF BUILDINGS, CHIMNEYS TOPPLED, MOBILE HOMES PUSHED OFF FOUNDATIONS OR OVERTURNED, LARGE TREE TOPS AND BRANCHES SNAPPED OFF, SHALLOW-ROOTED TREES KNOCKED OVER, MOVING VEHICLES BLOWN OFF ROADS, AND SMALL BOATS PULLED FROM MOORINGS.

* FOR MORE INFORMATION: - FAMILY EMERGENCY PLANS: FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY - HTTP://READY.GOV/ - EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA LOCAL WEATHER CONDITIONS AND FORECASTS: NWS MELBOURNE FLORIDA - HTTP://WWW.SRH.NOAA.GOV/MLB/

Biggen

We were supposed to leave tomorrow and have Fri/Sat/Sun at the parks but we are now going to drive down on Friday instead. The forecast for Sat/Sun/Mon looks beautiful. Fortunately, I was able to get an additional night at Bonnet Creek so we can drive back home on Tuesday instead of Monday like we were going to do.

Of course, if the damn thing heads inland and doesn't just skip the coast then all bets are off.

JohnD

Original Poster
Updates now provided at top of WDW site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/

October 5, 2016
Walt Disney World Resort is currently operating under normal conditions as we continue to monitor Hurricane Matthew. Recent forecasts indicate that there could be rain and wind in the Central Florida area as early as Thursday evening, October 6, 2016. Please continue to monitor news outlets for the latest weather information.

JohnD

Original Poster
We were supposed to leave tomorrow and have Fri/Sat/Sun at the parks but we are now going to drive down on Friday instead. The forecast for Sat/Sun/Mon looks beautiful. Fortunately, I was able to get an additional night at Bonnet Creek so we can drive back home on Tuesday instead of Monday like we were going to do.

Of course, if the damn thing heads inland and doesn't just skip the coast then all bets are off.

Driving in from Georgia? (I'm assuming based on your profile pic). That thing will still be skimming up the Florida coast on Friday bringing a lot of wind and rain. Not sure you want to be on the road, especially if already in Florida, during that time If you're leaving from farther north on Friday then you may be okay

wdwgreek

Updates now provided at top of WDW site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/

October 5, 2016
Walt Disney World Resort is currently operating under normal conditions as we continue to monitor Hurricane Matthew. Recent forecasts indicate that there could be rain and wind in the Central Florida area as early as Thursday evening, October 6, 2016. Please continue to monitor news outlets for the latest weather information.
I would like Disney to announce soon what reduced hours if any will be over the next three days... cause this suspense is killing me. My anxiety is through the roof.

21stamps

WDW and Orange County area now under a Hurricane Warning:
https://weather.com/weather/alerts/...ificance=W&areaid=FLZ045&office=KMLB&etn=1014
  • Issuing Office: Melbourne
    Source: The National Weather Service

11:12am EDT, Wed Oct 5

HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT

... HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS HURRICANE WIND CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THIS AREA AND WITHIN THE NEXT 36 HOURS

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED - ORLANDO - APOPKA - CHRISTMAS

* WIND - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: EQUIVALENT TROPICAL STORM FORCE WIND WITH GUSTS TO HURRICANE FORCE - PEAK WIND FORECAST: 50-60 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 75 MPH - WINDOW FOR TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS: THURSDAY EVENING UNTIL SATURDAY MORNING

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: HIGH - THE WIND THREAT HAS REMAINED NEARLY STEADY FROM THE PREVIOUS ASSESSMENT. - EMERGENCY PLANS SHOULD INCLUDE A REASONABLE THREAT FOR HURRICANE FORCE WIND OF 74 TO 110 MPH OF EQUIVALENT CATEGORY 1 TO 2 INTENSITY. - TO BE SAFE, AGGRESSIVELY PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL OF EXTENSIVE WIND IMPACTS. REMAINING EFFORTS TO SECURE PROPERTIES SHOULD NOW BE BROUGHT TO COMPLETION. - DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING WIND IS POSSIBLE. FAILURE TO ADEQUATELY SHELTER MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR LOSS OF LIFE. MOVE TO SAFE SHELTER BEFORE THE WIND BECOMES HAZARDOUS.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: EXTENSIVE - CONSIDERABLE ROOF DAMAGE TO STURDY BUILDINGS, WITH SOME HAVING WINDOW, DOOR, AND GARAGE DOOR FAILURES LEADING TO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE. MOBILE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED, WITH SOME DESTROYED. DAMAGE ACCENTUATED BY AIRBORNE PROJECTILES. LOCATIONS MAY BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS. - MANY LARGE TREES SNAPPED OR UPROOTED ALONG WITH FENCES AND ROADWAY SIGNS BLOWN OVER. - SOME ROADS IMPASSABLE FROM LARGE DEBRIS, AND MORE WITHIN URBAN OR HEAVILY WOODED PLACES. SEVERAL BRIDGES, CAUSEWAYS, AND ACCESS ROUTES IMPASSABLE. - LARGE AREAS WITH POWER AND COMMUNICATIONS OUTAGES.

* FLOODING RAIN - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: - PEAK RAINFALL AMOUNTS: ADDITIONAL 2-4 INCHES, WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: MODERATE - THE FLOODING RAIN THREAT HAS REMAINED NEARLY STEADY FROM THE PREVIOUS ASSESSMENT. - EMERGENCY PLANS SHOULD INCLUDE A REASONABLE THREAT FOR MODERATE FLOODING WHERE PEAK RAINFALL TOTALS NOTABLY EXCEED AMOUNTS CONDUCIVE FOR FLASH FLOODING AND RAPID INUNDATION. RESCUES AND EMERGENCY EVACUATIONS ARE POSSIBLE. - TO BE SAFE, EARNESTLY PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL OF SIGNIFICANT FLOODING RAIN IMPACTS. - DANGEROUS FLOODING IS POSSIBLE. FAILURE TO TAKE ACTION MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR LOSS OF LIFE. IF FLOOD RELATED WATCHES AND WARNINGS ARE ISSUED, HEED RECOMMENDED ACTIONS.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: SIGNIFICANT - MODERATE RAINFALL FLOODING MAY PROMPT SEVERAL EVACUATIONS AND RESCUES. - RIVERS AND TRIBUTARIES MAY QUICKLY BECOME SWOLLEN WITH SWIFT CURRENTS AND OVERSPILL THEIR BANKS IN A FEW PLACES, ESPECIALLY IN USUALLY VULNERABLE SPOTS. SMALL STREAMS, CREEKS, CANALS, AND DITCHES WILL OVERFLOW. - FLOOD WATERS CAN ENTER SOME STRUCTURES OR WEAKEN FOUNDATIONS. SEVERAL PLACES MAY EXPERIENCE EXPANDED AREAS OF RAPID INUNDATION AT UNDERPASSES, LOW-LYING SPOTS, AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS. SOME STREETS AND PARKING LOTS TAKE ON MOVING WATER AS STORM DRAINS AND RETENTION PONDS OVERFLOW. DRIVING CONDITIONS WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS WITH SOME ROAD AND BRIDGE CLOSURES.

* TORNADO - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: - SITUATION IS SOMEWHAT FAVORABLE FOR TORNADOES

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: ELEVATED - THE TORNADO THREAT HAS REMAINED NEARLY STEADY FROM THE PREVIOUS ASSESSMENT. - WHEN IMPLEMENTING EMERGENCY PLANS, INCLUDE A REASONABLE THREAT FOR ISOLATED TORNADOES. - TO BE SAFE, PREPARE FOR THE POTENTIAL OF LIMITED TORNADO IMPACTS. - LISTEN FOR TORNADO WATCHES AND WARNINGS. BE READY TO SHELTER QUICKLY IF A TORNADO APPROACHES.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: LIMITED - THE OCCURRENCE OF ISOLATED TORNADOES CAN HINDER THE EXECUTION OF EMERGENCY PLANS DURING TROPICAL EVENTS. - A FEW PLACES MAY EXPERIENCE TORNADO DAMAGE, ALONG WITH POWER AND COMMUNICATIONS DISRUPTIONS. - LOCATIONS COULD REALIZE ROOFS PEELED OFF BUILDINGS, CHIMNEYS TOPPLED, MOBILE HOMES PUSHED OFF FOUNDATIONS OR OVERTURNED, LARGE TREE TOPS AND BRANCHES SNAPPED OFF, SHALLOW-ROOTED TREES KNOCKED OVER, MOVING VEHICLES BLOWN OFF ROADS, AND SMALL BOATS PULLED FROM MOORINGS.

* FOR MORE INFORMATION: - FAMILY EMERGENCY PLANS: FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY - HTTP://READY.GOV/ - EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA LOCAL WEATHER CONDITIONS AND FORECASTS: NWS MELBOURNE FLORIDA - HTTP://WWW.SRH.NOAA.GOV/MLB/

So basically that's saying the same thing as the "we don't knows so we'll place the entire state under a warning" as on the television... Basically, PREPARE!

All jokes aside, I'm praying that the worst of it stays offshore.

21stamps

I would like Disney to announce soon what reduced hours if any will be over the next three days... cause this suspense is killing me. My anxiety is through the roof.
I'm sure the people in one of the paths have 'anxiety though the roof' right now as well..

Does Disney announce reduced hours before they know for sure what a storm will do? what have they done in the past?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm sure the people in one of the paths have 'anxiety though the roof' right now as well..

Does Disney announce reduced hours before they know for sure what a storm will do? what have they done in the past?
In the past it has been fairly short notice (pretty much day-of). They want to be sure they have the call right before they do it.

wdwgreek

Of course not trying to belittle those worries, I have family in Coco Beach, and the Keys. I am simply anxious since I had planned this trip for a few months out and just want to try to create a battle plan, if I can go to the parks iwill, I just want to know if they will be open. I'd guess early closing Thursday and delayed opening Friday/ closed Friday. My thoughts are of course with those who died and are in harms way before my tourist concerns.

21stamps

Of course not trying to belittle those worries, I have family in Coco Beach, and the Keys. I am simply anxious since I had planned this trip for a few months out and just want to try to create a battle plan, if I can go to the parks iwill, I just want to know if they will be open. I'd guess early closing Thursday and delayed opening Friday/ closed Friday. My thoughts are of course with those who died and are in harms way before my tourist concerns.
I understand. I would also be anxious if I was leaving tomorrow too...it's a lot of planning to then have to deal with an unknown potential kink in those plans.
I'm no weatherman, but really I don't think it would be more than one day of heavy winds. You'll still have a wonderful trip :)

Biggen

Driving in from Georgia? (I'm assuming based on your profile pic). That thing will still be skimming up the Florida coast on Friday bringing a lot of wind and rain. Not sure you want to be on the road, especially if already in Florida, during that time If you're leaving from farther north on Friday then you may be okay

Actually I'm up in PCB, FL. I expect I'd probably hit rain around Gainesville/Turnpike area. So it may make for a long ~120 miles or so if that is the case.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Of course the real question if Matthew comes ashore and does severe damage to WDW necessitating the indefinite closure of one or more park or hotel complexes does WDW rebuild or take the insurance money and leave the facilities to rot as per River Country post hurricane

JohnD

Original Poster
Actually I'm up in PCB, FL. I expect I'd probably hit rain around Gainesville/Turnpike area. So it may make for a long ~120 miles or so if that is the case.

Okay. I'm east of you in Tallahassee. It's about 4 and half hours to WDW for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom