Hurricane Dennis

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Kadee said:
The local reports I've seen has the eye coming on shore in Pensacola (that IS in Florida) or just a little east of that. BUT...they are saying now that the projected path may be shifted back west (to Gulf Shores/Mobile Bay area) because it stayed "under" Cuba more than expected.
Here is a website for you. Your local reports are probably taken from info like this.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

pinkrose

Kadee said:
Ivan may have affected Florida greatly but it HIT Fort Morgan, Alabama (aka..Gulf Shores). That is where the eye came on shore and it traveled right on up Baldwin County (ALABAMA) right over my house. Believe me; I saw it! I was up all night as it passed. I'm about 40 miles from the coast so we got it pretty hard. Gulf Shores is still trying to recover. It looks like it just hit down there instead of 10 months ago.

The local reports I've seen has the eye coming on shore in Pensacola (that IS in Florida) or just a little east of that. BUT...they are saying now that the projected path may be shifted back west (to Gulf Shores/Mobile Bay area) because it stayed "under" Cuba more than expected.
Kadee, have you noticed that the Alabama coast seems to always be overlooked. After Ivan, all the National news and weather channel talked about was Fl.

DisneyChik17

pinkrose said:
Kadee, have you noticed that the Alabama coast seems to always be overlooked. After Ivan, all the National news and weather channel talked about was Fl.

Amen! After Ivan we had power poles snapped in half it looked like a tornado went down the main road in our town. Although, I would like it if we didn't need that attention. Haha, fat chance, I know.

Disneydreaming

Kadee said:
Ivan may have affected Florida greatly but it HIT Fort Morgan, Alabama (aka..Gulf Shores). That is where the eye came on shore and it traveled right on up Baldwin County (ALABAMA) right over my house. Believe me; I saw it! I was up all night as it passed. I'm about 40 miles from the coast so we got it pretty hard. Gulf Shores is still trying to recover. It looks like it just hit down there instead of 10 months ago.

Ooops, I apologize. I knew it was around the Alabama/Florida border and Pensacola took the east side of the storm. I do remember Gulf Shores was wiped out. I sincerely hope history will not repeat itself. I must admit I don't have a very good memory.

A local weather lady has come on tv stating that the forecast model the NHC is basing their track on has now shifted its track to landfall around the Biloxi, MS area. I'm starting to wonder if that trend will continue, watching Dennis skirt around the Cuba border and taking a more west northwest track right now. Actually a second model has shifted its track more westerly, as has the Vipir model.

Linda

Disneydreaming

DisneyChik17 said:
Amen! After Ivan we had power poles snapped in half it looked like a tornado went down the main road in our town. Although, I would like it if we didn't need that attention. Haha, fat chance, I know.

I beleive the media will use the Florida buzzword to increase their ratings, just because of all the hits that state took last year.

Kadee

SpongeScott said:
Here is a website for you. Your local reports are probably taken from info like this.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

Thanks, that is SO much better than the weather channel's site. Gives LOTS more info. We've already removed all potential projectiles from our yard and filled up the propane tank for the grill, filled the freezer with ice, etc... Now all I have to do is sit here and wait anxiously, or pace the floor, etc...

Kadee

Disneydreaming said:
Ooops, I apologize. I knew it was around the Alabama/Florida border and Pensacola took the east side of the storm. I do remember Gulf Shores was wiped out. I sincerely hope history will not repeat itself. I must admit I don't have a very good memory.

A local weather lady has come on tv stating that the forecast model the NHC is basing their track on has now shifted its track to landfall around the Biloxi, MS area. I'm starting to wonder if that trend will continue, watching Dennis skirt around the Cuba border and taking a more west northwest track right now. Actually a second model has shifted its track more westerly, as has the Vipir model.

The farther west, the better!!!! I would never wish a hurricane on anyone, but I think Alabama and Florida have had their fair share, don't you? Maybe it will push on to Texas. They haven't had a big one in a long time.

It just makes me so upset to think of another huge one hitting Gulf Shores. So many of my students and their families were very affected by Ivan and some are still without their homes. I could not bear them going through another one.

Linda[/QUOTE]

Kadee

pinkrose said:

LOL. It's like they forget Alabama has a coast!!! :lol: We do and it happens to be one of the most beautiful in the country!!! Maybe even the world. Well....it was beautiful before Ivan, anyway. Now it looks injured....very, very injured.:(

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Dennis is a strong Category 4.

Category Four Hurricane: Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 ft above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles (10 km).

wannab@dis

Dennis is getting stronger with every advisory that is posted. Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/) seems to have good information. Here is a plot of the different models.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200504_model.html

We're starting to dry out after getting 2 days of rain from Cindy, so I'm hoping that Dennis stays to the west a little so East TN doesn't get anymore flooding. The only problem is that no matter where it hits, if it stays at this strength, it's going to be a beast.

Tim G

Deadly Hurricane Dennis Strengthens To 150-MPH Storm

STORM STATUS July 8, 10:34 AM EDT

Name: Hurricane Dennis
Location: About 130 miles, 205 km, west of camaguey cuba and about 250 miles, 405 km, South-Southeast of Key West Florida.
Lat/Long: 21.4N, 79.9W
Max Winds: 150 mph
Category: 4
Heading: Northwest
Speed: 15 mph
Pressure: 27.70 inches

KEY WEST, Fla. -- The first rain from a quickly strengthening Hurricane Dennis started falling Friday on the Florida Keys as the storm barreled toward the Gulf of Mexico, and forecasters warned that it might score a direct hit on the island chain.

Even if the eye of the 150-mph storm passes to the west, they warned, hurricane-force winds of at least 74 mph extended up to 50 miles from the center, and tropical storm-force winds stretched up to 160 miles out.

Key West's streets were calmer than usual early Friday, the result of an evacuation order issued a day earlier, but the strong Category 4 storm could batter the islands by evening, forecasters said. Morning breezes were expected to grow into stronger winds, joined by heavier rain and storm surges.

Gucci65

We here in Georgia got our butts kicked Wednesday night by the remaints of the last tropical depression (Cindy - I think).

Flooding everywhere, trees down. Four tornadoes about 50 miles south of my home. They tour up the Atlanta Motor Speedway and tons of homes in the surrounding counties. I'm sure you have all seen it now and this is old news.

And here comes Dennis. Will Sunday night be a repeat of last Wednesday?

pinkrose

Kadee said:
LOL. It's like they forget Alabama has a coast!!! :lol: We do and it happens to be one of the most beautiful in the country!!! Maybe even the world. Well....it was beautiful before Ivan, anyway. Now it looks injured....very, very injured.:(
Yes it is/was a beautiful coast and I hate that it's about to be torn up again. I know it will recover though. It did after Fredric. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed. They think Dennis will weaken some as it gets closer to shore because Cindy cooled the water some. Stay safe down there.

SpongeScott

Original Poster
CAPS are not mine--this came from the National Hurricane Center. 11:00 update.

DENNIS HAS BEEN WOBBLING QUITE A BIT THE PAST 6 HOURS...AND HAS MADE A WOBBLE MORE NORTHWESTWARD THAN THE WESTWARD MOTION OF 6 HOURS AGO. THIS TYPE OF MOTION IS NOT UNUSUAL FOR INTENSIFYING MAJOR HURRICANES. THERE MAY BE SOME ADDITIONAL ERRATIC MOTION AS THE CENTER MOVES ACROSS CUBA...BUT THE GENERAL TREND SHOULD BE FOR A NORTHWESTWARD MOTION TO CONTINUE. THE NHC MODEL GUIDANCE REMAINS TIGHTLY CLUSTERED ABOUT THIS GENERAL MOTION FOR THE NEXT 36 HOURS. AFTER THAT...THE GUIDANCE DIVERGES WITH U.S. LANDFALL INDICATED FROM THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE TO SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA.

Tim G

Powerful Hurricane Dennis Nears Florida Keys, Gulf

Bridge Collapses In Haiti As Dennis Strengthens; At Least 5 Dead

KEY WEST, Fla. -- As Hurricane Dennis barrels toward the Gulf of Mexico, southern Walton County in the Fla. Panhandle is being evacuated, and Collier County has issued a voluntary evacuation for people living in coastal areas and on barrier islands.

Gov. Jeb Bush declared a state of emergency Friday afternoon.

In coastal Alabama, residents loaded plywood and stockpiled provisions as Dennis appeared headed on the track Ivan took last year. Ivan wrecked Alabama's Gulf beach resorts and piney woods towns last September, and Dennis appears to be following the same path.

Key West Base Reflectivity 0.50 Degree Elevation Range 124 NMI

WUNIDS_map.gif

Tim G

Hurricane Dennis Advisory
Number 17

Hurricane Dennis lashing central Cuba.

New watches and warnings issued for the United States...

Statement as of 5:00 PM EDT on July 08, 2005

a Hurricane Warning is in effect for Cuba for the provinces of la
Habana...Ciudad de la Habana...Matanzas...Villa Clara...
Cienfuegos...Sancti Spiritus...Ciego de Avila...Camaguey...Las
Tunas...Granma...Santiago de Cuba...Holguin and Guantanamo. A
Hurricane Watch remains in effect for the Isle of Youth and the
province of Pinar del Rio. Eastern portions of the Hurricane Warning
area will likely be discontinued later tonight.

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for the lower Florida Keys
from the Seven Mile Bridge westward to the Dry Tortugas. A
Tropical Storm Warning and a Hurricane Watch are in effect for the
remainder of the Florida Keys...east of the Seven Mile Bridge to
Ocean Reef and Florida Bay.

At 5 PM EDT...2100z...a Hurricane Watch has been issued for portions
of the northeastern Gulf Coast from the Steinhatchee river westward
to the mouth of the Pearl River.

At 5 PM EDT...the Tropical Storm Warning along the Florida West
Coast has been extended northward to Anclote Key. A Tropical Storm
Warning is now in effect along the Florida West Coast from Anclote
Key southward...and along the Florida East Coast from Golden Beach
southward.

At 5 PM EDT...a tropical storm watch has been issued along the
Florida West Coast from north of Anclote Key northward to east of
the Steinhatchee river.

A hurricane or Tropical Storm Warning means that hurricane or
tropical storm conditions...respectively...are expected within the
warning area within the next 24 hours. Preparations to protect life
and property should be rushed to completion in the Hurricane
Warning area. A hurricane or tropical storm watch means that
hurricane or tropical storm conditions...respectively...are
possible within the watch area...generally within 36 hours.

Interests elsewhere in the western Caribbean Sea...Florida...and the
eastern Gulf of Mexico should monitor the progress of this system.

For storm information specific to your area...including possible
inland watches and warnings...please monitor products issued
by your local weather office.

At 5 PM EDT...2100z...the center of Hurricane Dennis was located
near latitude 22.6 north... longitude 81.1 west or about 95 miles
... 150 km... east-southeast of Havana Cuba and about 145 miles...
235 km...south-southeast of Key West Florida.

While some wobbling has continued to occur...as is typical of a
major Hurricane...Dennis is expected to generally move toward the
northwest near 17 mph...28 km/hr. On this track...the center
should emerge off the north-central coast of Cuba this evening.

Maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 135 mph...215
km/hr...with higher gusts. Although Dennis is still a category 4
hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson scale...some additional weakening
is forecast as Dennis moves over Cuba. However...Dennis is expected
to remain a major hurricane as it emerges over The Straits of
Florida and the southeastern Gulf of Mexico this evening.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 65 miles...100 km...
from the center...and tropical storm force winds extend outward up
to 160 miles...260 km. Earlier this afternoon as Dennis made
landfall along the south-central coast of Cuba...a sustained wind
of 99 mph...160 km/hr...with a gust wind gust to 149 mph...240
km/hr...was measured in Cienfuegos...and extensive damage was also
reported.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 949 mb...28.02 inches.

Dennis is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 5 to
10 inches over Cuba...with local 15 inch amounts. These rains could
produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides. Rainfall of 4
to 8 inches is expected over the Florida Keys and southern Florida.

Storm surge flooding of 5 to 10 feet above normal tide levels...
along with large and dangerous battering waves...are still possible
in areas of onshore winds along the south-central coast of Cuba.
Higher values of storm will be possible in bays and inlets. A
storm surge of 3 to 6 feet is possible in the lower Florida Keys. A
storm surge of 4 to 7 feet is possible along the southwest coast of
Florida tonight and Saturday.

Isolated tornadoes will be possible over the Florida Keys and the
southern Florida Peninsula into Saturday.
Repeating the 5 PM EDT position...22.6 N... 81.1 W. Movement
toward...northwest near 17 mph. Maximum sustained
winds...135 mph. Minimum central pressure... 949 mb.

Intermediate advisories will be issued by the National
Hurricane Center at 7 PM EDT and 9 PM EDT followed
by the next complete advisory at 11 PM EDT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom