Hurricane Dennis

Ringo8n24

pinkrose said:
MKCP and Ringo, are you all in the man. evac. area of Ms.? You guys stay safe!

Glad you are ok Figment!

I am about three blocks up from the Gulf of Mexico, but I am in a "recommended" evacuation area...zone C. But, we are going to ride it out. It is worse trying to get back home when it is over, than to just stay. I will be so glad when it is over. I keep sitting on my back porch just watching the wind gusts go up and down. I will stay on the boards as often as I can. Take care everyone.

pinkrose

Ringo8n24 said:
I am about three blocks up from the Gulf of Mexico, but I am in a "recommended" evacuation area...zone C. But, we are going to ride it out. It is worse trying to get back home when it is over, than to just stay. I will be so glad when it is over. I keep sitting on my back porch just watching the wind gusts go up and down. I will stay on the boards as often as I can. Take care everyone.
You guys on the coast are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kadee

pinkrose said:
Kadee, looks lilke he's going more north and won't be hitting you so hard! :sohappy:

I see that!!!!:sohappy: I hope it keeps heading north and doesn't turn back northwest. The funny thing is that our local weathermen seem to WANT it to hit here!!! If they want to experience it, they need to move their @ss to Ft. Walton!!!! GO AWAY DENNIS!:mad:

Ringo8n24

It should really prove to everyone that nobody can really predict this thing. I have only slept for about two hours watching this thing and Dennis not really make any difference in movement until this last northern turn. I hope that people here do not think because we got lucky this time that they do not take it seriously on the next one since it is so early in the season. There is definitely going to be more.

MKCP, been out to see the harbor or anything? I notice on the traffic cams for the state that there are alot of people on I-10 still.

pinkrose

Kadee said:
I see that!!!!:sohappy: I hope it keeps heading north and doesn't turn back northwest. The funny thing is that our local weathermen seem to WANT it to hit here!!! If they want to experience it, they need to move their @ss to Ft. Walton!!!! GO AWAY DENNIS!:mad:
During storms like this, weathermen crack me up. There they are on live tv... trying their best to stand up in the middle of a hurricane. :rolleyes:

Still having to watch where it goes. Not sure what to expect here. As of the last I saw, I was in the "major damage" area.

Kadee

Our local weatherman just said, "It looks like it will hit either east or west of Pensacola." Really???!!!:rolleyes: No $h*t!!! What other choice do we have? :lol: And this is THE leading meteorologist in the area AND he JUST came on air! Man, this is going to be a long day for him! At least I will be entertained:D .

Now on a serious note, it looks like it has started to turn a bit more west. I am praying for another big northern turn. My neighbors across the street just left about 5 minutes ago. She got spooked when she woke up and saw 145 mph. They are going to her brother's house in Huntsville.

dandaman

^Doesn't that just make you feel warm inside?... :rolleyes:
Apparently, NASA is saying that their latest launch is "go", despite the inclement weather.

pinkrose

Kadee said:
Our local weatherman just said, "It looks like it will hit either east or west of Pensacola." Really???!!!:rolleyes: No $h*t!!! What other choice do we have? :lol: And this is THE leading meteorologist in the area AND he JUST came on air! Man, this is going to be a long day for him! At least I will be entertained:D .

Now on a serious note, it looks like it has started to turn a bit more west. I am praying for another big northern turn. My neighbors across the street just left about 5 minutes ago. She got spooked when she woke up and saw 145 mph. They are going to her brother's house in Huntsville.
Oh my! I hope she doesn't have any trouble getting there.

pinkrose

The time has come to end all storm preparations and seek shelter in a very secure location. This hurricane is the most intense hurricane to impact anywhere along the United States Gulf Coast since Camielle in 1969. This hurricane does not even compare to Hurricanes Eloise, Frederic, Elena, Andrew, Opal, Georges, and Ivan, all classic Gulf hurricanes to make landfall in this same general area since 1975.

http://www.nwhhc.com/atl042005.html

pinkrose

Here are some Emergency numbers for people in Alabama (I'm pretty sure all of these are statewide).

Alabama Power Hotline
1-800-888-2726

Hotel Information
1-800-ALABAMA

Red Cross Shelters
1-866-GET-INFO

Road Conditions
1-888-588-2848

Kadee

pinkrose said:
Here are some Emergency numbers for people in Alabama.........

Thanks for the numbers! As I was writing them down, the power went out. Luckily, the battery on my laptop allowed me to get them and then shut down the computer. It was only out for 10 minutes or so. So I'm back on the net....for now :lookaroun .

No bad weather yet. A few wind gusts are about 30 mph or so and rain is very light. Radar shows stronger rains coming very shortly. They are now saying it will be heading inland at Pensacola and straight up over panhandle. It looks like I won't see the eye of it. I can handle 100mph. At least the max winds are now down to 135. By the time it gets to me, it will be even slower. I'm inland about 40 miles...60 miles linearly from where it is supposed to make landfall. I'll keep updating for as long as I can.

MKCP 1985

Ringo8n24 said:
MKCP, been out to see the harbor or anything? I notice on the traffic cams for the state that there are alot of people on I-10 still.
I haven't. I just saw where we are under a curfew, so I'll be sitting here this afternoon, watching the weather reports and going through a briefcase of work, as long as the electricity holds out. :) Looks like we may have dodged another one. **whew**

pinkrose

Kadee said:
Thanks for the numbers! As I was writing them down, the power went out. Luckily, the battery on my laptop allowed me to get them and then shut down the computer. It was only out for 10 minutes or so. So I'm back on the net....for now :lookaroun .

No bad weather yet. A few wind gusts are about 30 mph or so and rain is very light. Radar shows stronger rains coming very shortly. They are now saying it will be heading inland at Pensacola and straight up over panhandle. It looks like I won't see the eye of it. I can handle 100mph. At least the max winds are now down to 135. By the time it gets to me, it will be even slower. I'm inland about 40 miles...60 miles linearly from where it is supposed to make landfall. I'll keep updating for as long as I can.
The winds really starting to blow here. We're under that inland hurricane warning. :( They say hurricane force winds 200 something miles inland. It's going to be a while before it gets bad here. You hang on down there. :) They said that 98% of the hotels in the state are full. :eek:

Tim G

Gulf Coast Residents Brace For Category 4 Hurricane

FORT WALTON BEACH, Fla. -- Hurricane Dennis closed in on the Gulf Coast on Sunday after strengthening into a dangerous Category 4 storm, plowing toward a region still recovering from a hurricane 10 months ago.

Rains were blown sideways as winds exceeded 45 mph on the coast around midday, but that was just the beginning. With nearly 1.4 million people under evacuation orders, some towns in the projected path were left almost deserted. Landfall was expected Sunday afternoon somewhere along the coast of the Florida Panhandle or Alabama in virtually the same spot as last year's Hurricane Ivan.

After weakening to a Category 1 storm over Cuba, Dennis regrouped in the Gulf on Saturday and became a Category 4 storm again early Sunday, with top sustained winds of 140 mph. The National Hurricane Center in Miami has no record of a Category 4 storm ever hitting the Florida Panhandle or Alabama.

Category 4 is not just a little bit worse -- it's much worse," said Max Mayfield, the center's director. "Damage increases exponentially as the wind speed increases. And no matter where it makes actual landfall, it's going to have a tremendous impact well away from the center."

Hurricane-force winds stretched out up to 40 miles from the center, and they could go as far as 175 miles inland on Dennis' track, forecasters said. The worst weather from hurricanes is typically on the front right side of the storm, in this case to the east of where it hits. That puts places like Mobile, Ala., Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach firmly in the crosshairs.

On the beaches, trees were whipping in the wind and sand was blown around. Shores normally bustling with summer tourists were quiet.

As the storm got closer, most of the preparation stopped and people rushed to get inside. Federal Emergency Management Agency officials said they have medical, water, food and other supplies in place to respond to hard-hit areas quickly.

Tim G

Here it comes guys!!! Brace yourselves

STORM STATUS
July 10, 12:54 PM EDT

Name: Hurricane Dennis
Location: About 55 Miles South-Southeast of Pensacola Florida.

Lat/Long: 29.6N, 86.9W
Max Winds: 135 mph
Category: 4
Heading: North-Northwest
Speed: 18 mph
Pressure: 27.73 inches

WUNIDS_map05.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom