How long will the frozen ride acutely last?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I can see frozen appearing in Parades and attractions for years to come but once the frenzy is over no ones going to visit Epcot just for the frozen ride, there going to visit to see Epcot and those lines are going to drop dramatically. I have never seen a line for the nemo ride, full house and everyone enters thru the back. The biggest line I've ever seen there was for the surround screen show and Hydrolators. I'm not saying Frozen is going to Leave Disney World, Little Mermaid ride is brand new but I can see the frozen ride being relocated to fantasyland.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I'm really rather sad that Big Hero 6 just kind of fizzled out....even though the stinger scene hinted at a sequel, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney just ignored it in favor of its "All Frozen All The Time" business plan.

It hasn't "fizzled out" yet. Many countries haven't even had it released yet (coming out in Australia on Boxing Day). So maybe it has slowed in the US, but I'm sure elsewhere in the world it will be popular when it comes out. And that in turn will reinvigorate other markets.

I would definitely not call #6 at the box office in US this weekend pulling in $6M a fizzle out. Overall totals at $185M domestic and $253M international (and still not released in most major foreign markets for US movies). It certainly isn't doing Frozen numbers, but it is still in wide release and about to pass Wreck-It Ralph and Madagascar in domestic gross. If it gets a Christmas bump, it should also pass Tangled. I am quite curious as to how it will do in Japan, Australia, and UK...

Matt_Black

I'm suspecting it will do very well in Japan.

Now, do we know how well merchandise is moving? I saw many kids with Baymax plushes at the showing I went too....

TB4244

BH6 doesn't hit the UK until the end of January, which is 3 months after the initial release. I was lucky enough to catch it in the first week much to my friends and families annoyance. It'll go down well here, thats for sure.

But as for Frozen, its still an unstoppable cash cow, no matter what your opinion of it is (I personally liked it, but I still prefer Tangled), my nieces who are both 4 think Anna is the best thing since sliced bread and they can't get enough of it. It'll grace our screens and the many locations within the parks for a good long time. But as much as we may mourn the loss of Maelstrom, it ain't coming back.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is it often that Disney brings back original expensive attractions?
To date I can only think of 3, and 2 are kind of a stretch.

The original Tiki Birds was brought back, but with a shorter running time. I also thing that the fire made this the least expensive option.

Captain EO came back with a number of the effects removed. For them most part, they basically switched out the film.

The flying saucers in DL were brought back as Luigi’s Flying Tires, but that will be closing shortly.

There might be more, but those are all that currently come to mind.

JIMINYCR

graphics-scrooge-mcduck-940725.gif
Yup... we'll be seeing a lot more of Frozen.

post-28223-Scrooge-McDuck-Swimming-in-Gol-6kjL.gif

For a VERY,VERY LOOOOONG time. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Even once Frozen fizzles, it will cost money to replace the ride so... DECADES. It's coming, and it ain't leaving for a very, very long time.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm really rather sad that Big Hero 6 just kind of fizzled out....even though the stinger scene hinted at a sequel, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney just ignored it in favor of its "All Frozen All The Time" business plan.

If they didn't win anything....I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have seen nothing....Buuuuuuuuuuuutttt It didn't happen that way did it...So yeah Bragging rights up the wazoo's.
72f.gif

FettFan

It hasn't "fizzled out" yet. Many countries haven't even had it released yet (coming out in Australia on Boxing Day). So maybe it has slowed in the US, but I'm sure elsewhere in the world it will be popular when it comes out. And that in turn will reinvigorate other markets.

I hope so.

xstech25

Sadly, my generation has no princess from their youth (the late 70s and early 80s were bereft of princess movies), but if you ask people (mainly women) of a certain age, they will tell you that either Ariel or Belle are 'their' princess. The kids who are between 7 and 12 right now will have Elsa and Anna. It will last. As a high school teacher, I have seen this quite a bit. A few years ago, there was a group of kids who all considered Mulan 'their' princess. Knowing I was a huge DW fanatic, they always asked me why there was no Mulan ride or even meet and greet. The kids now ask me the same questions about Tiana. The older middle schoolers are huge Rapunzel fans and I see a lot of frustration and resentment that Elsa and Anna has surpassed 'their' princess in popularity among the masses.

My point? The Frozen ride will live for a very long time. Today's 10 year old will be lining up for it in 30 years with their 10 year olds. Just like those a few years younger than I am are lining up for Enchanted Tales with Belle and Little Mermaid with their kids and the same way my parents took me when I was a kid on Peter Pan even though I had absolutely no interest in it. I learned to love the movie and ride and now my daughter goes on it with me and is learning to love the movie and the ride. I guarantee that for the next 30 years of Disney visits she will first force her parents (my wife and I) and later force her kids to ride a Frozen ride and eventually they will all love it.

Since it has been so financially successful, it has a LOT more people saying that Elsa and Anna are 'their' princess, which to Disney means it is worth the investment. Yup, Little Mermaid and Beauty and Beast had to wait 20 years for an attraction, but the dollar signs were blinking like crazy and the suits watching and for as small as the Maelstrom overlay is, it will definitely impact World Showcase attendance in a positive way and nothing will make them happier than big lines, news articles, and positive buzz.
100% true - genetic behavior is a huge thing in tourism and entertainment. The people who were kids when Little Mermaid and Lion King came out introduce their children to the franchises, and it goes on and on. Disney has been able to rerelease films with huge success over and over and over. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, Rapunzel, Anna/Elsa will never go away.

jensenrick

I'm suspecting it will do very well in Japan.

Now, do we know how well merchandise is moving? I saw many kids with Baymax plushes at the showing I went too....

Well, not to be a downer, but having finally seen BH6 I admit to being really rather disappointed. It had some nice scenes, and Baymax is cute, but they laid on the shmaltz so THICK I felt I was drowning in it.
In particular that penultimate scene (dont want to give spoilers) but the one where there is JUST NO TIME! But there IS time for big eyes, and tears, and sad hugs, and endless repeating of a certain phrase- until I finally cried out "come ON already" - fortunately I was alone in the theater.

EOD K9

The problem I have with a Frozen overlay is that it takes away from the culture of Norway. Tres Caballeros doesn't, in my opinion, showcase Mexico. I would rather a Frozen ride (not really) be a stand alone and not interfere with what World Showcase was meant to be. I realize that Mulan wasn't the hit of Frozen, but they theoretically could have overlayed China with that. Germany could have been overlayed with Snow White, etc. We shall see where this goes.

FettFan

The problem I have with a Frozen overlay is that it takes away from the culture of Norway. Tres Caballeros doesn't, in my opinion, showcase Mexico. I would rather a Frozen ride (not really) be a stand alone and not interfere with what World Showcase was meant to be. I realize that Mulan wasn't the hit of Frozen, but they theoretically could have overlayed China with that. Germany could have been overlayed with Snow White, etc. We shall see where this goes.

But at the same time, at least the Gran Fiesta Tour actually has the decency to take place IN MEXICO. Sure it's goofy and slapstick for kids....but at least Donald and Co. are actually visiting Mexican locations.

They didn't shove a fictional fantasy kingdom into it.

EOD K9

But at the same time, at least the Gran Fiesta Tour actually has the decency to take place IN MEXICO. Sure it's goofy and slapstick for kids....but at least Donald and Co. are actually visiting Mexican locations.

They didn't shove a fictional fantasy kingdom into it.
Good point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom