How long will the frozen ride acutely last?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
This Frozen epidemic isn't going to last forever and although Nemo has taken over The Living Seas and Grand Fiesta has a 3 caballeros it all sticks to the theme of the pavilion. Will a full movie themed ride in the World Showcase actually last. The Epcot crowd will always be different and vary in age differences and once this hype and special trips to see the Frozen ride die down will they have a reason to keep a frozen themed ride. As it is Maelstrom had a decent attendance unlike Grand Fiesta where I have never seen a line nor have I ever seen a full boat. I think in a good 5-10 years a reopening of Maelstrom and a relocation of the frozen ride would do really well.

Sage of Time

I maintain a hope that EPCOT will be restored one day and once that happens, things like Frozen and Nemo will be given the boot.

I also maintain a hope that Frozen will prove too popular for just little old Norway to handle and they'll have to do something else and something significant in the Magic Kingdom and restore Maelstrom.

I also maintain a sense of unfortunate realism that says that Frozenstrom will probably be around for quite a while.

Goofyernmost

I still maintain that Frozen, like a million other princesses before them, will quickly die off as soon as another hero is accidentally tripped over. So it will last, in place, a lot longer then it's popularity will warrant.

BuddyThomas

Yeah, I'm sick of it too but it's not going anywhere. They are making animated shorts, at least one full length sequel, and a Broadway bound musical. It is on Once Upon a Time. The merchandise is on every shelf of every store. Every little girl in America as well as a few drag queens went as Elsa for Halloween. It's out of control, but as long as that goose keeps laying golden eggs, it's here to stay.

copcarguyp71

I still maintain that Frozen, like a million other princesses before them, will quickly die off as soon as another hero is accidentally tripped over. So it will last, in place, a lot longer then it's popularity will warrant.

I seem to remember a year and a half ago there were tons of folks calling for a Wreck it Ralph overlay and "More Penelope"...wait...Penelope who????

A flash in the pan by any other name would still overlay the same!

Matt_Black

I still maintain that Frozen, like a million other princesses before them, will quickly die off as soon as another hero is accidentally tripped over.

Right, because none of the other princesses are represented in WDW AT ALL.

I seem to remember a year and a half ago there were tons of folks calling for a Wreck it Ralph overlay and "More Penelope"...wait...Penelope who????

Well, of course you're asking, "Penelope who?" because that's the wrong name. It's Vanellope.

Clamman73

I maintain a hope that EPCOT will be restored one day and once that happens, things like Frozen and Nemo will be given the boot.

I also maintain a hope that Frozen will prove too popular for just little old Norway to handle and they'll have to do something else and something significant in the Magic Kingdom and restore Maelstrom.

I also maintain a sense of unfortunate realism that says that Frozenstrom will probably be around for quite a while.

Maybe with "Finding Dory" supposedly mainly taking place in a Marine Biology Institute, with whatever refurb eventually comes to the Seas in the future, it will be a bit more Living Seas again.

wdwgreek

A flash in the pan by any other name would still overlay the same!

There is no comparison between Penelope, Wreck it Ralph and Frozen. Frozen had over one billion in grosses, wreck it Ralph was in no way the cultural phenomenon Frozen is. Also Frozen merchandise sales out pace Wreck it Ralphs comparable toy sales 4 to 1. So again no comparison.

Goofyernmost

Right, because none of the other princesses are represented in WDW AT ALL.
Not with anywhere near the insanity that Frozen has generated, but, they were super popular at one time and like all the rest, they eventually ended up being just another princess. Frozen will still be around long after the super hype has died down. Think Lion King. Still watched and enjoyed but without the early year frenzy that followed it.

I guess my point is that they have to be a little careful about how much permanent space they give it. Once it's built it will be staying until it is completely depreciated not just because it is still popular and in demand. Most all the "show" and attractions that are Frozen related are floating attractions and can very easily dropped and replaced with the next big phase.

copcarguyp71

There is no comparison between Penelope, Wreck it Ralph and Frozen. Frozen had over one billion in grosses, wreck it Ralph was in no way the cultural phenomenon Frozen is. Also Frozen merchandise sales out pace Wreck it Ralphs comparable toy sales 4 to 1. So again no comparison.

I was a fan of neither and I am not touting anything other than both had fandom and one has fizzled in a year and a half. I personally do not think anything that has not stood the test of time deserves the real estate and reverence that Frozen seems to be getting. Yes, I do understand WHY ($$$) but that does not mean I have to agree nor like it.

copcarguyp71

Well, of course you're asking, "Penelope who?" because that's the wrong name. It's Vanellope.

EXACTLY!

And...I could tell you nothing of Frozen other than there is a goofy snowman involved. Not saying it does not have its' appeal...just saying not with me but in all honesty my post had nothing to do with my personal feelings and more to do with my recollection of the frothing fandom of a year and a half ago with WIR. I am an admitted curmudgeon who does not agree with offering up reverence to characters who have not earned their bones and stood the test of time...at least a little.

wdwgreek

EXACTLY!

And...I could tell you nothing of Frozen other than there is a goofy snowman involved. Not saying it does not have its' appeal...just saying not with me but in all honesty my post had nothing to do with my personal feelings and more to do with my recollection of the frothing fandom of a year and a half ago with WIR. I am an admitted curmudgeon who does not agree with offering up reverence to characters who have not earned their bones and stood the test of time...at least a little.
They have certainly earned there market share, which will translated into staying power. Frozen is the th highest grossing film of all time, and its still in theatres. People are still paying for it, and I postulate that even if half of the little girls and boys who love frozen keep loving it, it will have a huge draw for a generation to come.

roj2323

If you want to talk about plausible scenarios you need to talk about new attractions not rehashes of old ones.

I think people are delusional if they think disney would restore Malstrom to it's original state. Theme parks constantly evolve no matter who operates them. Changing out attractions keeps things fresh and gives people a reason to come back year after year. Will Malstrom shed it's frozen shell someday, perhaps, but it will not be restored to the original ride, if anything it would see a completely new story and the only thing that would revert would be the name.

I get that the attraction was loved but please accept the fact that it's not coming back.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Sadly, my generation has no princess from their youth (the late 70s and early 80s were bereft of princess movies), but if you ask people (mainly women) of a certain age, they will tell you that either Ariel or Belle are 'their' princess. The kids who are between 7 and 12 right now will have Elsa and Anna. It will last. As a high school teacher, I have seen this quite a bit. A few years ago, there was a group of kids who all considered Mulan 'their' princess. Knowing I was a huge DW fanatic, they always asked me why there was no Mulan ride or even meet and greet. The kids now ask me the same questions about Tiana. The older middle schoolers are huge Rapunzel fans and I see a lot of frustration and resentment that Elsa and Anna has surpassed 'their' princess in popularity among the masses.

My point? The Frozen ride will live for a very long time. Today's 10 year old will be lining up for it in 30 years with their 10 year olds. Just like those a few years younger than I am are lining up for Enchanted Tales with Belle and Little Mermaid with their kids and the same way my parents took me when I was a kid on Peter Pan even though I had absolutely no interest in it. I learned to love the movie and ride and now my daughter goes on it with me and is learning to love the movie and the ride. I guarantee that for the next 30 years of Disney visits she will first force her parents (my wife and I) and later force her kids to ride a Frozen ride and eventually they will all love it.

Since it has been so financially successful, it has a LOT more people saying that Elsa and Anna are 'their' princess, which to Disney means it is worth the investment. Yup, Little Mermaid and Beauty and Beast had to wait 20 years for an attraction, but the dollar signs were blinking like crazy and the suits watching and for as small as the Maelstrom overlay is, it will definitely impact World Showcase attendance in a positive way and nothing will make them happier than big lines, news articles, and positive buzz.

My only hope, that the imagineers in charge of this one do a good job and I'm agreeable to being dragged along.

(full disclosure - I don't like the movie really at all. My wife enjoys it. My daughter loves it with a passion that even surpasses my love of Star Wars from my youth)

Bairstow

I think in a good 5-10 years a reopening of Maelstrom and a relocation of the frozen ride would do really well.

Highly unlikely.
Generally speaking, no attractions at EPCOT get replaced or updated unless/until sponsorship agreements require that they be.

I would guess the Frozen boat ride will last a good 15-20 years.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yes sir...It's like that's going to happen and returning Symbiosis at the Land...
Circle_of_Life_-_An_Environmental_Fable.jpg

1357-ha.png

roj2323

They are making animated shorts, at least one full length sequel, and a Broadway bound musical.
12ce13.jpg
This is pretty much what i'm hearing as well. The shorts are already on their way with the first coming out soon if I recall. The sequel is a given considering the metric ton of cash the first movie made. I had not heard of the musical but the characters are already in the Disney on Ice shows so it wouldn't surprise me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom