How long is your drive?

From the other thread, I had to ask. I drive from the Detroit area, we have just around a 20 hour drive with stops. We have four kids, so a bathroom break takes a while. Just wondred what people drive to get there. We have gone straight through, but usually stop near Macon GA. somewhere usually.

tigsmom

1300 miles or so. We have tried to drive straight thru, but 22 hours of heavy traffic is not fun. We usually stop in Santee, SC.

Upvote 0

bigtotoro

I did the 15 hour drive from Nashville once. I'm never doing that again. Now that I live in Houston, I can always get affordable airfare from one of the two major airports here in town. The last thing I want on vacation is stress but I know that is not possible for everyone.

Upvote 0

sbkline

It's about 18 hours for us, give or take an hour or two, depending on how much time we take to pull off and eat. In April, we drove from 6:30 AM (Central time) to about 10:30 PM (Eastern Time), which got us from IL to Jasper, Florida. Then we left Jasper around 7 AM and arrived at POR at 10:20 AM. So right at 18 hours that time. But that was with getting off at Chattanooga and going on a wild goose chase for an IHOP and then sitting down to eat.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

It's almost exactly 500 miles. We do it in about 7 hours, depending on whether we stop at Cracker Barrel or a drive-thru.

Okay, so we usually stop at Cracker Barrel, so it's longer than 7 hours.

Tigsmom, we thank you for stopping in Santee and contributing to our state's economy!

Upvote 0

Disneybird

We drive it in about 9 hours depending on where we stop to eat. Except for the time we got almost to Atlanta, remembered we had forgot our tickets, drove back toward Chattanooga, met up with a brother, and turned around and started again. Then my sister-in-law took the road from the turnpike toward Orlando, and we went north instead of south. Got one brother and his family checked into POP and finally checked into PORS about 14 hours after leaving home.

We laugh about it now.

Upvote 0

bobjl527

From Joliet, IL it's about 1,186 miles. Did it all in one day once (20 hours) way back in 1988. The last time in 2001, we stopped just before Atlanta. Then it's only 8 hours or so to Orlando. I really miss driving. Due to physical limitations I have now, flying is my best option.

Upvote 0

StephanieS

From MD it's about a 19hr drive. We fly instead, though. If we drove the price of gas and food (and possibly a hotel for one night) costs more than air on Southwest. And flying is 2 hrs-- versus 19 by car

Upvote 0

jtced

It's about an 8 1/2 hour trip for us. We wish we could fly (I know I shouldn't complain, most everyone here drives longer than we do):( But because our airport is a HUB it's cheaper for us to drive than fly. I'd like to save the extra money for another night at the hotel or some special from Disney!:D

Upvote 0

3fordisney

We tend to stop often at the rest areas. We leave about 4:30 am (central) and arrive at Pop about 2pm (eastern). With our stops, we take about 8 to 9 hours. It depends on how restless the little one gets and how tired I get! For us, its cheaper to drive than fly. To fly out of Montgomery, we'd have to make a stop in Atlanta, change planes and then fly onto Orlando. The other option would be to drive an hour to Birmingham and catch a direct flight on Southwest. After doing all that, the cost to drive is less than the cost of plane tickets for 3.

However, we have taken 13 hours to get there. Our car started acting up in Gainsville. We couldn't go interstate speeds and went the back way. We got as far as Lady Lake and the car wouldn't go over 20 mph. We stopped at a hotel, called Onstar and arranged for a tow. This was a Sunday, no rental car places open and a ways from WDW. So, we called a few taxi companies and no luck to get us to WDW that day. We tried a limo company and lucked out. We arrived 13 hours later at AS Sports in a limo. Later in the week, we rented a car to pick ours up from a dealership in Leesburg and had a wonderful trip! It was an adventure, especially with a 3 year old.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom