How does the dragon at Fantasmic! work?

Pabgo

Original Poster
I've always tried to look at where it comes out of, and how it works, but I can never see it! Does anyone know how it works?:)

elpirataman

The dragon is just a really really big Robot which will occasionally give the techies all sorts of problems when it doesn't feel good. The dragon is stored right behind the center pair of doors that look like a big rock with a big line done the middle of it. The door is able to open sideways like a normal one, but for the dragon, it opens downward. The wings are operated by man power (two cast members with big rods waving it back and forth). There are a majority of photos of this on the internet is you want to see what I am talking about! If you have anymore questions about Fantasmic! I would be happy to answer them!

Pabgo

Original Poster
Thanks! You really explained it well! You said that there was a few pictures on the internet. If you want to, can you try to find me a site? Thanks!

elpirataman

Thank you for correcting me lol. He is right that they only open inward, but they do fold down like an upside down garage door.

For example:
untitled5.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

As long as we're on the topic...has the dragon always appeared in that spot? I have a memory of it rising from the top of the mountain...did I dream that??

Unfortunately, the last few times the robot was under the weather so we got to see Malecifent get lifted on the giant 'skirt'! :rolleyes:

Craig

Pabgo

Original Poster
Thoe are some good pictures! I also have a memory of the dragon being much taller and rising up from the top of the mountain! Is my memory going bad, or am I right?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Dragon has always appeared as it does. The actual figure is just a head on a mechanical arm (the neck) with several axis of motion - think a robot hand on a robot arm. The wings give the impression it is a full figure.

Coasterbp

Actually, they don't go in any direction except for swinging inward. They don't fold down in front of the dragon like you have circled in that pic. What you have circled in that pic is the base of the dragon wagon the moves out with the dragon itself.

Sunny04

biggbird5182 said:
Thoe are some good pictures! I also have a memory of the dragon being much taller and rising up from the top of the mountain! Is my memory going bad, or am I right?
At the end of the show when Mickey "makes" the water rise to put out the fire -- the head of the dragon rises up higher to be seen over the water. Therefore, the head is pretty high and basically at the top of the mountain. Maybe you are remembering that part of the show.

lightboy

::cough cough::

Wow sure does have some resemblance underneath all of that fabric of a normal 2-man high reach lift with a head instead of a basket :)

hehe....:sohappy:

JML42691

Does the dragon have a "backup" effect like the B-mode on everest for when it is not working. I have only seen the show twice, but I seem to remember a different version of the dragon almost like a catterpillar with an actor in each segment. Is this a replacement/backup effect, a different part of the sow that I am blacking out about, or is my imagination going crazy. But I do remember the actual dragon the second time.

Sorry for bringing an old thread back.:)

different version of the dragon almost like a catterpillar with an actor in each segment. Is this a replacement/backup effect, a different part of the sow that I am blacking out about, or is my imagination going crazy.

The catapillar you are refering to is also part of the show a little earlier in the show before the dragon. And the catapillar is actually a cobra snake chasing Mickey's imagination!:wave:

Goosebrent

Vivian as the dragon is named is actually made out of two articulating boom lifts (http://www.genielift.com/zb-series/index.asp) on a moving platform. The entire dragon is controled by 2 on board computers. The computers control the entire animation autonomisly (sp?). The main show control tells the platform to roll and the dragon to animate and then tells it to stop and return "home". The pyro is controlled by a third computer system on-board. There are 23 e-stop buttons on the dragon itself. The wings of the dragon are controlled by 2 pupeteers per side. The entire travel and set-up time is 11.3 seconds and return is 10 secs.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We were watching Fantasmic last week and there was no dragon... Has Vivian been permanently removed from the show or do they sometimes not use her for weather-related or other reasons? It was a windy evening... :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom