how do you REALLY have to dress at a signature?

Jess G

Original Poster
Do you have to be super dressy? Is it ideal to go from a signature restaurant straight to a park? I hate to be uncomfortable at the parks.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
You can go straight from the parks. Just don't have cut offs, holes, things hanging out haha!. We rarely change to go eat at any signatures unless we have time inbetween. You will see people in park attire to really dressy. Go as your comfortable. And this includes signatures outside the parks at resorts too. We usually have on jeans/capris and a top/shirt. If we change hubby may put on a Disney polo with his jeans, and I may put on a nice top/sweater with jeans and some boots or heels. So nothing ever really dressy.
This is the official dress code and notes from the Food Blog:

“Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.
Not permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.”

In practice, this means that guests are dressed just one step up from what they would wear to the parks. Although some guests choose to wear business casual or cocktail attire to signature restaurants, you will often see at these venues wearing khaki shorts, a t-shirt and sneakers. Men should avoid tank-style or muscle shirts. Women may wear sleeveless tops or sundresses as long as they not overly revealing. There are no prescribed footwear requirements, other than that you must be wearing shoes. Specifics of the dress code are not strongly enforced. As long as you are neat and presentable, you will be seated.

Hockey89

You can go straight from the parks. Just don't have cut offs, holes, things hanging out haha!. We rarely change to go eat at any signatures unless we have time inbetween. You will see people in park attire to really dressy. Go as your comfortable. And this includes signatures outside the parks at resorts too. We usually have on jeans/capris and a top/shirt. If we change hubby may put on a Disney polo with his jeans, and I may put on a nice top/sweater with jeans and some boots or heels. So nothing ever really dressy.
This is the official dress code and notes from the Food Blog:

“Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.
Not permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.”

In practice, this means that guests are dressed just one step up from what they would wear to the parks. Although some guests choose to wear business casual or cocktail attire to signature restaurants, you will often see at these venues wearing khaki shorts, a t-shirt and sneakers. Men should avoid tank-style or muscle shirts. Women may wear sleeveless tops or sundresses as long as they not overly revealing. There are no prescribed footwear requirements, other than that you must be wearing shoes. Specifics of the dress code are not strongly enforced. As long as you are neat and presentable, you will be seated.
I've witnessed bathing suits, hats and wife beaters... Many times...

sxeensweet

I'd feel just fine in a sundress and flip flops. I don't think I'd wear shorts (even if people do) - I just personally wouldn't.

People wear them all the time. We see many in shorts even at Cali Grill and others at the resorts like Jiko and the others. See official dress code in quotations above with my snippet from the Disney Food Blog. ;)

sxeensweet

For the most part, you should dress like you would for a nice dinner. The in park signatures are bit more lax, but it's really a courtesy thing. There are lots of people who go to signatures for anniversary meals and the like, so dressing appropriately is nice to do.

Although nice to do like you mentioned most even at the non park signatures are not dressed really fancy/nice either and does not bother us even if we dress nicer. Frankly when we have dressed nicer we felt "over" dressed at the resort signatures so we now don't really worry about it. Now we aren't in bathing suits and cut offs but we don't change into business casual/dressy either most nights but we have on occasion. I always advise just to go as your comfortable within reason of course. ;)

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

Do you have to be super dressy? Is it ideal to go from a signature restaurant straight to a park? I hate to be uncomfortable at the parks.

No, not super dressy, but I would suggest dressing up a little. You might not enjoy your meal as much if you're worried about feeling under-dressed, and wearing something that looks nice does add to the ambiance and feeling that you are somewhere special, so I always recommend wearing what is appropriate in the setting, and not merely what is begrudgingly allowed. (Plus, I tend to think that servers, even if unconsciously, treat well-dressed people better.)

As others said, the signature dress code boils down to, at a minimum, one step above typical park-wear. It should be easy to find something that is both nice-looking AND comfortable (a silky tank and capris, a breezy dress, a linen romper, dress shorts with a blouse), and you can class it up as much as you like with accessories and nice footwear (strappy heels or attractive leather sandals). I also recommend a pashmina or cardigan, as the air-conditioning in most WDW restaurants is rather aggressive. If you want to go to a park afterwards, bring some sportier/comfier footwear in your handbag to slip into - or even an alternate outfit, if you wish.

I have a lovely (non-wrinkle, easy-to-wash) navy maxi dress that is my "go-to" for all such occasions. Pair it with flip-flops and I'm ready for the beach! Give me a hoodie and my Chuck Taylors, and I'm ready for an evening at the park. Substitute a cuff bracelet, pashmina and high-heeled sandals, and I can waltz into any fine dining establishment without anyone looking askance. :)

Last edited:

belledream

People wear them all the time. We see many in shorts even at Cali Grill and others at the resorts like Jiko and the others. See official dress code in quotations above with my snippet from the Disney Food Blog. ;)
I'm sure that is the case...I just said I personally wouldn't. I love dresses! Think they are comfy and like to dress 'up' for dining occasions as such.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We've eaten at Narccoossee's and I was surprised how some guests were dressed...the waiters were better dressed. The only signature that enforces its dress code is Victoria and Albert's. A nice sundress and comfortable sandals (not flip flops) will be fine.

JohnD

So, I have a dinner ADR at CG at 7:50 pm on arrival day. I may hop into MK before the ADR. I'm thinking a Mickey polo shirt and cargo shorts should be okay, right?

sxeensweet

So, I have a dinner ADR at CG at 7:50 pm on arrival day. I may hop into MK before the ADR. I'm thinking a Mickey polo shirt and cargo shorts should be okay, right?

You will be fine. No need for slacks. Hubby never wears slacks when we eat at any signature on property and we do so every trip at several in parks and out of parks at the resorts. The dress code as I posted lists shorts as acceptable and have seen shorts on men many times at Cali Grill and at other signatures. We eat at Cali Grill every single trip and see shorts to dress slacks, to inbetween. You will be perfectly fine in Cargo shorts and a Mickey Polo. Hubby wears his Mickey polos there as well. ;)

Last edited:

Prince-1

Years ago my wife and I overheard management at the Yachtsman Steakhouse go to a table and informed a man who was wearing shorts that he had to change if he wanted to dine there. He must have been staying at the Beach Club because he cam back in less than 15 minutes wear pants. It was handled with discretion (except for the fact we could hear him) and the guy had no issues.

DisneyFans4Life

We ate at California Grill about a year ago and went to dinner straight from the parks. Not only were we wearing shorts and t-shirts, but also had a cranky 18 month old. We saw many people "dressed up" more than us, but we also saw our fair share of folks who looked like they just came from the parks.

I think Disney understands that people may be coming straight from parks and are pretty lax about it. Honestly...they're not going to turn away the revenue over someone wearing shorts versus pants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom