how do you REALLY have to dress at a signature?

KenW

Popped collars. Then it became double popped collars. Now it's cool to wear your shorts under your butt cheeks. Last year it was cool to wear pulled up knee length argyle socks with those shorts. It's also cool to wear mega-tapered suit pants that are cut off two inches above your ankles with ankle length white socks paired with a suit coat so short and tight that it looks like you're wearing your younger brother's suit. That he outgrew. All while riding a battery powered wheel board that'll burst into flames. *shakes fist at clouds*

In a place full of adults wearing goofy hats (literally), matching family vacation t-shirts, and neon green fannypacks, you're fine with your cargo shorts even - if they went out of style years ago. No one will say a thing - they'll be too busy being angry at the cheering tour groups on their motorized scooters to notice your cargo pants.

As for dressing at the signatures? We went to Monsieur Paul a few years back. Most folks were dressed business casual/resort casual. Polos and jeans or polos and khaki/cargos. Some were dressed up in suits and dresses. And a few folks were there with baseball caps and sleeveless T's and cut off jorts. A few folks spoke to their waiters and were simply moved to other tables.

The only place that enforces their dress code is V&A. I did not wear a tie there. About half did and half didn't, so you wouldn't feel out of place either way.

Last edited:

Sans Souci

I just saw a news feature about how controversial cargo shorts are and I thought of this thread. They interviewed a gentleman who did his PhD thesis on cargo shorts--I am not even joking about that.:hilarious:

R W B

I'm 29 and every pair of shorts I own are cargo shorts, even my white linen pair. I'm a Real Estate agent and I even show houses in cargo shorts. It's also 90-105 degrees here most of the year so while it's not the most business casual outfit, it's acceptable.

We've eaten at a couple different signatures but they have all been in a park so I always have on cargo shorts and either a tshirt or polo because we always come from a park.

I once tried on a pair of non cargo shorts and I instantly felt like I paid monthly dues for friendships to a frat. Couldn't do it.

BuddyThomas

Whether we like it or not, it's a theme park, folks. An amazing theme park, but a theme park all the same.

And it is in the middle of a state that experiences some of the hottest, most humid days in the entire country. I don't see how anyone can insist on formalities in restaurants that are within theme parks with such intense heat. They can call them signature restaurants or whatever else they want to call them. The fact remains that people need to stay cool and comfortable in such heart.

If the restaurants are out of the parks, like California Grill, I see your points. At least put on a Polo shirt and a pair of dress shorts, etc etc.

But seriously, the outrage about lack of dress in-park restaurants is kind of whack.

All can always be solved by minding your own business and enjoying your own family, group of friends, group of people, rather than obsessing about the guy across the way with too much armpit hair and a tank top. He's just trying to have a good time too, and maybe he didn't get the memo. :)

BuddyThomas

We went to California Grill straight from MK. I was very uncomfortable because I looked like I had just had a long day in the park while other people were dressed up. I just felt kind of embarrassed so I didn't enjoy my meal.
I'm sorry about that but I also think you didn't have one single thing to feel embarrassed about. They were happy to seat you and hand you an expensive bill at the end, and your money is as green as the people's in suits and little black dresses. :)

BASS

Disney is a vacation, but sometimes with the stress and the lines and the heat and the cranky kids, it may not feel that way. So we always do a nice meal or two to get the "vacation" feel. The way I see it, the kids get the parks and we get the nice restaurants so we always dress appropriately to get into that "vacation" mode. This doesn't mean we get all dressed up, but a nice polo and jeans does the trick and is light packing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom