How do people afford Deluxe?

ToTBellHop

I have stayed at a Ritz Carlton and it is indeed one example where your money is better spent. there is also the new Four Seasons at WDW.But I look ata hotel as a room to sleep inand

For the price of some of the Savannah view rooms, I could fly to Africa and see them on Safari.
You may be exaggerating...

You can see them on safari for $94 in Orlando. But, there aren't many places where you can fall asleep seeing them. Let's not sell Disney short. A place like Grand Floridian may be unreasonably priced given that it provides an experience that is not overly unique in America, but AKL is something truly special. I continue to be dumbfounded at the lower rates at the Lodges compared to the other deluxes given that I think both Lodges are perhaps WDW's most beautiful resorts, but the rooms are smaller than what you get at the others. Not sure why they were built like that. You have the Grand Californian, very similar to Wilderness Lodge, serving as Disneyland's flagship. Oh, well...I enjoy the reasonably priced rooms at WDW!

arko

You may be exaggerating...

You can see them on safari for $94 in Orlando. But, there aren't many places where you can fall asleep seeing them. Let's not sell Disney short. A place like Grand Floridian may be unreasonably priced given that it provides an experience that is not overly unique in America, but AKL is something truly special. I continue to be dumbfounded at the lower rates at the Lodges compared to the other deluxes given that I think both Lodges are perhaps WDW's most beautiful resorts, but the rooms are smaller than what you get at the others. Not sure why they were built like that. You have the Grand Californian, very similar to Wilderness Lodge, serving as Disneyland's flagship. Oh, well...I enjoy the reasonably priced rooms at WDW!

Hey if you can get AKL Savannah view for 94$ more power to you, but the cheapest I am seeing is 400$ a night in spring even with AP holder discount

arko

I was referring to the theme park near AKL...

and I can see that without staying at AKL, you original argument was where else could you see a giraffe from your hotel room, and I simply pointed out the price of an African Safari a night is about the same as some AKL Savannah rooms. I'm not saying Disney Deluxe hotels are not nice, they just are not worth what Disney is charging for them these days, considering there are much better options near by.

righttrack

It comes down to this. Do you want a room or want an experience? Do you want a very nice room or a very ordinary room? How much time do you want to waste/spend getting where you need to go?

That is the basis of selecting a Deluxe resort, or staying on property period.

BuddyThomas

It comes down to this. Do you want a room or want an experience? Do you want a very nice room or a very ordinary room? How much time do you want to waste/spend getting where you need to go?

Well, that and how much money you've got in the bank.

MagicHappens1971

^^^
Agree but personally I'd prefer a stay in a Value to a stay in a deluxe resort offsite.
I feel the same way! If the moderates/deluxes have good deals then they're worth it, only if you're not going to the park. Like I stayed at the Beach club 2/3 years back. And we didn't go to the park, it was a whole weekend just at the resort! It was amazing! I personally would never suggest staying at a deluxe unless you are not going to the park. Even if you do have a lot of money, it really still isn't worth it (if you are going to the park).

MagicHappens1971

See, this I just don't get. That really is crossing over to "Brand Advocate" territory.

I refuse to stay in the "Value" resorts. And will take the JW Marriott/Ritz Carlton over the moderates, any day.

I agree, if I wasn't going to Disney. I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton and its beautiful and the resort is just amazing. But if you are going to Disney, then there is no reason to spend 500+ a night if you are barley going to be in the room.

COrunner

I've just been checking prices, and for the week I was looking at most Deluxe start at $4000 for a week in the Polynesian, rising to over $9000 for the Contemporary, that's over $1000 per night.

Yet so many people here seem to quite casually be able to afford these and don't bat an eyelid. I see threads here with people deciding between the Grand Flo, the Contemporary or the Poly, with no concern whatsoever for price.

How on earth does anyone afford those hotels at all? Are most people who go to Disney millionaires now? I know there are a lot of rich people in the USA, but I'm amazed there are so many people for whom $1000 on a hotel room they'll barely use doesn't even bother them in the slightest.

My hats off to y'all, wish I had that kind of money so I don't mean to come across as jealous, I'm just amazed how many people here have such vast sums of disposable income.
When we have wanted to stay at a higher resort we either modify our trip so it is shorter, use a discount or if we want to get a bigger room we share with family and halve the cost.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Its all how much value one places on where you stay, budgetary constraints, as well as cost benefit analysis.

Some allocate more available currency (dollars, pounds, rials, drachmas, dinars,etc) or debt to where they stay based on what they deem more important. Not everyone earns the same amount of compensation, disposable income, or has the same ability to incur debt.

righttrack

See, this I just don't get. That really is crossing over to "Brand Advocate" territory.

I refuse to stay in the "Value" resorts. And will take the JW Marriott/Ritz Carlton over the moderates, any day.

It's just easier. The transportation sells it every time. Now I've only stayed in a Value once and a Moderate once, but still, those vacations were as enjoyable as the Deluxes in their own way.

righttrack

I feel the same way! If the moderates/deluxes have good deals then they're worth it, only if you're not going to the park. Like I stayed at the Beach club 2/3 years back. And we didn't go to the park, it was a whole weekend just at the resort! It was amazing! I personally would never suggest staying at a deluxe unless you are not going to the park. Even if you do have a lot of money, it really still isn't worth it (if you are going to the park).

For us, the queen-sized beds were why we stayed in Deluxes, though they have added them to moderates now which is nice. We want our comfort when we sleep because we go into the parks very hard.

BrerJon

Original Poster

I don't understand this at all. 'Do you want a very nice or a very ordinary room?'. Like for like comparisons with off-site rooms for the same price, the off-sites almost always put Disney rooms to shame.

And on the 'spending time getting where you need to go' Disney comes off worse too. Nowadays transport is not a plus point - when prices were reasonable, the Disney buses were great, but now when you can get a taxi from any off-site in half the time of any bus, for $15 each way, far less than the $100+ a night extra you'd pay to stay on property, the economics don't really make sense.

TXDisney

If you decide to stay offsite. Things like rental car and parking each day have to be factored in. Also I pretty big factor for me and my wife at staying at a disney resort is we get to drink responsibly since we don't have to drive. Not just one of us be able to drink bc the other has to drive. Staying at a deluxe you can walk or talk the monorail home at most parks and even at moderate resorts you have DME. My next trip I think I want to do the contemporary, it's the cheapest out of the deluxe resorts I believe.

googilycub

Taxi cabs from the Downtown Disney area off-site hotels drop off close to the park gates (or TTC in MK's case), take about ten minutes and cost about $20, that's quicker than a Disney bus or monorail, and when the price difference is *at least* $200 a night, you more than make that back, so there's no time or financial transportation advantage from staying on property really.

And as for the extra hours, you could buy a whole extra days admission ticket with the hotel price difference.
Please help me understand what you just said. You state that taking a cab from Downtown Disney to the Ticket and Transportation Center is only about 10 minutes and costs about $20, and that is faster than a Disney monorail for to and from the park. Ok, maybe you are correct, that is faster. But here is the question, what are you going to do at the TTC? Take a monorail to the MK! So how is taking a taxi to the TTC, then getting on a monorail(or boat) faster than just taking a monorail(or boat) to your resort?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom