Horizons

Cody5294

Original Poster
I wasn't born in epcots golden age and I see a lot of ppl wanting Horizons back. What mase horizons so special and if they did bring it back what could they do with the ride

ddbowdoin

I wasn't born in epcots golden age and I see a lot of ppl wanting Horizons back. What mase horizons so special and if they did bring it back what could they do with the ride

same... what kills me is that I believe some of these lost attractions were up and running when I was there as a kid but I just don't remember EPCOT at all, which sucks.

I'm 27

ExtinctJenn

Oh boy did you pick a thread topic that will create a lot of conversation. Be nice everyone! LOL!

I am one of those people who absolutely loved Horizons but I don't want it back necessarily. I think doing away with it was a bad decision and that it should've been refurbished to be brought a little more current. It was a gigantic attraction with not only a ton of AAs but a unique feature where guests could chose their own ending. When Disney announced it'd be closing and that the building was going to be demolished, it sparked a lot of debate. See, Disney said the reason they had to tear down the building itself was because the new attraction they had planned was so huge it needed more space. Most folks who remember the Horizons pavilion however know that something wasn't adding up there because the building took up way more land than MS does today and was at least 3 times as tall. Rumor has it the building was sinking because of a problem with the land (former swampy marsh) and that was the real reason it had to go.

When it first opened it was an incredible journey through the future following a single family. The concept was "if we can dream it, we can do it," something many fans know as Walt's sort of "motto." It focused on ways to best use technology to create a more sustainable world as well as new living environments like space and the oceans. It had it's own sort of Omnimover system that was pretty unique using a track above as well as two huge Imax theaters that the vehicles would travel through.

The answer to "what made it so special" is kind of a tough one. Everyone who knew and loved the attraction has a wide range of reasons they loved it. For me, there was just something about it that I can't quite put my finger on. For many folks the passion is really more a result of the "odd" reasons it closed completely to begin with and in some cases, the fact that it's replacement didn't quite live up to the hipe it was given at the time. I personally really enjoyed MS the first and second time I did it but since then have no interest in getting on it again. For me, this differs a lot from how I felt about Horizons in the fact that I vividly remember begging my families to do it over and over again.

I have a little write up and a whole bunch of photos of it on my site here if you want to see a little more. :)

draybook

I've only seen the videos but I would love to experience this attraction, as well as World of Motion, the original Imagination, and Food Rocks!

tracyandalex

I am 30 (almost 31 :() and I very vaguely remember this ride. I am sad about it closing because there is no reason it couldn't have been updated and kept current, unless perhaps that would be too costly. If it closed for safety reasons (it's sinking) then there isn't much that can be done about that. Also, while I do like MS, for the spirit of MS is not the same as the spirit of Horizons.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's pretty simple...

- It was a formula based on guests moving through full field of view sets that were mostly physical, with a significant number of AAs
- It has a classic EPCOT soundtrack of moving music
- It mixed in impressive technology (OmniMax domes) with 'first time' technology (computer animation in the OmniDomes)
- It included unique gimmicks (the chose your own ending)
- It included classic disney gimmics (scents, tie ins to other Disney references)
- It included several 'how did they do that??' aspects that impressed guests.. including how that attraction fit in the building, how the ending worked, how the sets seemed to intertwin yet you never saw other guests, etc
- It was an optimistic view of the future in the classic Disney sense

If you truely want to understand, watch the videos.

from http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=35

But I am starting to wonder about this one...

LuLaSue

Oh boy did you pick a thread topic that will create a lot of conversation. Be nice everyone! LOL!

I am one of those people who absolutely loved Horizons but I don't want it back necessarily. I think doing away with it was a bad decision and that it should've been refurbished to be brought a little more current. It was a gigantic attraction with not only a ton of AAs but a unique feature where guests could chose their own ending. When Disney announced it'd be closing and that the building was going to be demolished, it sparked a lot of debate. See, Disney said the reason they had to tear down the building itself was because the new attraction they had planned was so huge it needed more space. Most folks who remember the Horizons pavilion however know that something wasn't adding up there because the building took up way more land than MS does today and was at least 3 times as tall. Rumor has it the building was sinking because of a problem with the land (former swampy marsh) and that was the real reason it had to go.

When it first opened it was an incredible journey through the future following a single family. The concept was "if we can dream it, we can do it," something many fans know as Walt's sort of "motto." It focused on ways to best use technology to create a more sustainable world as well as new living environments like space and the oceans. It had it's own sort of Omnimover system that was pretty unique using a track above as well as two huge Imax theaters that the vehicles would travel through.

The answer to "what made it so special" is kind of a tough one. Everyone who knew and loved the attraction has a wide range of reasons they loved it. For me, there was just something about it that I can't quite put my finger on. For many folks the passion is really more a result of the "odd" reasons it closed completely to begin with and in some cases, the fact that it's replacement didn't quite live up to the hipe it was given at the time. I personally really enjoyed MS the first and second time I did it but since then have no interest in getting on it again. For me, this differs a lot from how I felt about Horizons in the fact that I vividly remember begging my families to do it over and over again.

I have a little write up and a whole bunch of photos of it on my site here if you want to see a little more. :)
Jenn I think you summed it up perfectly!!

It's always fun looking back at tomorrow...

I absolutely loved this attraction. Maybe it was the quick glimpse of where we were going and how it was going to be in the future.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am 30 (almost 31 :() and I very vaguely remember this ride. I am sad about it closing because there is no reason it couldn't have been updated and kept current, unless perhaps that would be too costly. If it closed for safety reasons (it's sinking) then there isn't much that can be done about that. Also, while I do like MS, for the spirit of MS is not the same as the spirit of Horizons.

It closed in large to the classic Disney problem. Aging attraction, no more sponsor, and no interest by Disney of footing the bill themselves. To attract the new sponsor, they needed a new show.

wiigirl

I've only seen the videos but I would love to experience this attraction, as well as World of Motion, the original Imagination, and Food Rocks!

75.gif

Same here....*sigh* :(

montyz81

I was at Epcot Center in March of 1983. I never had the chance to see Horizons as I didn't go back to WDW until after the Millennium, once again I missed Horizons by a year. I have virtually taken a ride on it through video. I have a pretty strong sense of what it was like considering I did get a chance to ride JII, Original SSE, WoM and even the original SSE. It all had a very similar cohesive feel to it. Nothing seemed disjointed nothing seemed out of place. It all was in the interest of improving our future! I personally think Horizons brought it all together. It probably should have been the ride in the center vs SSE as it really talked about Land,Sea, imagination, Energy, Transpotation and Communication all in one ride. About the closest you will get to that feeling is SSE today. I can very honestly and confidently say it was probably one of the greatest rides that was misunderstood by the general public which is what ultimately lead to it's demise.

Cody5294

Original Poster

I was at Epcot Center in March of 1983. I never had the chance to see Horizons as I didn't go back to WDW until after the Millennium, once again I missed Horizons by a year. I have virtually taken a ride on it through video. I have a pretty strong sense of what it was like considering I did get a chance to ride JII, Original SSE, WoM and even the original SSE. It all had a very similar cohesive feel to it. Nothing seemed disjointed nothing seemed out of place. It all was in the interest of improving our future! I personally think Horizons brought it all together. It probably should have been the ride in the center vs SSE as it really talked about Land,Sea, imagination, Energy, Transpotation and Communication all in one ride. About the closest you will get to that feeling is SSE today. I can very honestly and confidently say it was probably one of the greatest rides that was misunderstood by the general public which is what ultimately lead to it's demise.
I agree with you about MS. I enjoyed it the first 2-3 times but now its boring except for the lift off part. They should put a new film for the ride and maybe it can give it some new life

TropicalFig8

I never got to experience Horizons and that's a reason why I shouldn't love the ride but I've seen it on YouTube and it looked so amazing. That's how I always feel about the original Journey into Imagination. The storyline,animatronics and technology. I also think people loved it because it symbolized what Epcot Center was really meant to be.

flipadeeflop

I was also never able to experience this attraction. I'm curious about these:

It's pretty simple...

- It was a formula based on guests moving through full field of view sets that were mostly physical, with a significant number of AAs
- It has a classic EPCOT soundtrack of moving music
- It mixed in impressive technology (OmniMax domes) with 'first time' technology (computer animation in the OmniDomes)
- It included unique gimmicks (the chose your own ending)
How did this work? Did it bring you to a different track into a different room than other guests that had different AA or was there some sort of movie?
- It included classic disney gimmics (scents, tie ins to other Disney references)
- It included several 'how did they do that??' aspects that impressed guests.. including how that attraction fit in the building, how the ending worked, how the sets seemed to intertwin yet you never saw other guests, etc
What was the ending? I'm assuming it's the "choose your own," but why was there a question of how it ended? Was it people basically just asking my first question? hah
- It was an optimistic view of the future in the classic Disney sense

If you truely want to understand, watch the videos.

from http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=35

But I am starting to wonder about this one...

worldfanatic

I rode it a few times and enjoyed it.
But as is typical with many of Disney's Yesterland attractions, it's now considered far more fantastic and iconic than it ever was when it was still around.
Human nature I guess.

flynnibus

Premium Member
@flipadeeflop - the entire attraction is an omnimover style continual movement system. The finale had buttons in the cab where you selected from one of the three places you had seen during the show. You 'voted' and your choice was played for you. It worked by bringing a hood in front of each car, moving synchronized with each vehicle, inside of which was a projection screen where your finale was played for you as the vehicle finished the last portion of the ride.

Thrill Seeker

It was an omnimover attraction, so no track switching was involved. Basically each vehicle sat up to 4 guests (or 4 adults with 2 children). It was lengthwise with a sliding door in the middle. Each side had three buttons that lit up for the ending. Each one was an option for what your ending could be: space, volcano or under water. Both sides picked one option. If they agreed, that was the option you got. If they disagreed, you got the option neither voted for. Once you had your ending, your vehicle matched up with a screen that moved with your vehicle that displayed your selected ending. At the time it was state of the art. Even now I'd say it was pretty awesome!

If my post above doesn't give it away, I was a huge fan of Horizons as a kid. It was in my Top 3 rides growing up along with Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Spaceship Earth. It closed because the sponsor GE dropped out and Disney didn't want to pay to keep it updated. In all honesty, even though SSE is the icon of Epcot, Horizons was really the heart and soul. That's why in the 2007 refurbishment of SSE, it became much more like Horizons. It also gives me goosebumps every time I hear Horizons' catch phrase on the Monorail heading back to TTC (If you can dream it, you can do it).

I do really enjoy Mission: SPACE. I still technically work there from time to time, because it was the first attraction I was trained at, but I will always wish Horizons was still there.

Redsky89

Unfortunately it closed in the year I first went to Disney as a kid so I never got to experience it. But from listening to the audio and seeing videos of it I have to say it looked pretty fun.

Rob562

The endings were films. There were three options: Space, Land and Sea. Buttons on the panel in front of each rider lit up, and you voted, majority wins. (Though I don't know what the computer did in the case of a tie)

As the car went along, panels folded out on either side, blocking your view of cars on either side. You then rode past a long screen that showed your ending. The car would tilt back slightly and rumble a bit. Each ending was exactly the same length, and were filmed on giant scale models (some of the largest ever built).

The cool technology part was that the films were on digital video discs (the old ones the size of LP records). The projection screen was one, long continuous surface with 7 rear-projectors shining on it. A player would start playing the proper track on the disc for a car, and the system would then move the image along from one projector to the next seamlessly at the proper speed so that the projected image followed the proper vehicle. That'd be easy to do with today's technology, but in 1983 it was pretty groundbreaking stuff.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom