Horizons

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The square footage might actually be similar between the two buildings but if how that square footage did not lay out in a manner that would fit what they have planned, the wrecking ball might have been the only choice. It is also my understanding that some of the problems that were had with TT were due to trying to shoehorn it into an existing structure. If that is correct, it is easy to see how they would elect to demolish Horizons the instant something would not quite fit.

I actually think the issue would have been the Omnimax screens. If we're referring to putting M:S into the Horizons building...I'm pretty sure the Omnimax screens were installed before the rest of the building was finished around them. Getting them "out" of the building may have been the most difficult part.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I actually think the issue would have been the Omnimax screens. If we're referring to putting M:S into the Horizons building...I'm pretty sure the Omnimax screens were installed before the rest of the building was finished around them. Getting them "out" of the building may have been the most difficult part.

Not at all - you just cut them up.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The screens weren't, but the core was.

Horizons had a structural core the full height of the building, at its highest point. Not only was this load bearing, it was in effect a massive steel set of columns in the middle of the building, limiting any other use. It wasn't wall to wall space. Not only was Horizons over engineered to be hurricane proof, it had more structural steel than SSE. It simply wasn't meant to be demolished.

And shouldn't have been imho.

ExtinctJenn

The screens weren't, but the core was.

Horizons had a structural core the full height of the building, at its highest point. Not only was this load bearing, it was in effect a massive steel set of columns in the middle of the building, limiting any other use. It wasn't wall to wall space. Not only was Horizons over engineered to be hurricane proof, it had more structural steel than SSE. It simply wasn't meant to be demolished.

And shouldn't have been imho.
Yeah the core could definitely be part of the reason they couldn't reuse the building. Even when they were tearing it down, the core had to be the last thing to go. Here's a shot of what I'm talking about (borrowed from the awesome Horizons dedication site, Horizons 1):

prism.jpg

montyz81

Yeah the core could definitely be part of the reason they couldn't reuse the building. Even when they were tearing it down, the core had to be the last thing to go. Here's a shot of what I'm talking about (borrowed from the awesome Horizons dedication site, Horizons 1):

prism.jpg
So sad to see that again.. I was there when Horizons was being demolished. I chose not to take pictures cause I didn't want to be reminded of what it looked like.
Anyway, I would hedge a bet that the core of Horizons is similar to the core of the Contemporary. I bet that if they took out the central column, the Contemporary would collapse.
img-temp-195-1573.html

vonpluto

So sad to see that again.. I was there when Horizons was being demolished. I chose not to take pictures cause I didn't want to be reminded of what it looked like.
Anyway, I would hedge a bet that the core of Horizons is similar to the core of the Contemporary. I bet that if they took out the central column, the Contemporary would collapse.
img-temp-195-1573.html

I would disagree. That appears to be the elevator shaft, not a central core. Looking at the sloped sides and cross tie roof rafters, the CR is like a truncated A roof cut off at the collar ties.:)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would disagree. That appears to be the elevator shaft, not a central core. Looking at the sloped sides and cross tie roof rafters, the CR is like a truncated A roof cut off at the collar ties.:)
I would agree. From my understanding the bulk of the roof of Horizons was supported by that central core, much like a central post would in an old tent.

LorangeJuice

I agree that there is no false nostalgia when it comes to Horizons for quite a few reasons:

No pre-show. No post-show. No gift shop. No import of a major motion picture character. No major motion picture based on the attraction. No celebrity cameos. Very minimal merchandize associated with the attraction. The aforementioned efficiency of the ride meant no long lines outside of the pavilion. No billboards on I-4 or the Turnpike.

Just Horizons.

Therefore, there was no visible "footprint" that showcased how well-loved the attraction really was before it was closed. The demolition of the pavilion also occurred right when the internet really "hit," at least in terms of widespread use and the formation of internet communities such as this one (I actually found this site when I came straight home from the park after having seen Horizons in a pile of rubble; I think I still had a 56k connection back then :eek:). My point here is the large Horizons fan base that still exists today online is the first real "footprint" of the attraction's popularity. Again, no false nostalgia here.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard people who are not Disney fanatics and don't know anything about this site have said "Wait, they closed THAT ride?! It was the best one!" whenever Horizons came up in casual conversation over the years!

I think the reason why Horizons is still so loved today is because it has not been replicated in the sense of the reasons I listed above. Today's attractions are not as warm and inviting. They are smaller offerings crammed into the pre-show-movie-character-tie-in-post-show-gift-shop-car-dealership paradigm, and the celebrity cameos tend to turn off the suspension of disbelief. They are colder, dumbed-down, and not as inspiring. With Horizons, I never felt like I was ever being sold something other than a promise for a brighter future!

Perfection, indeed.

BravaCentaurian

I grew up with Horizons. I was born right when it opened, and rode it every year until it closed. Some of my greatest memories from childhood were from riding Horizons. There was something about the attraction that is hard to explain. It wasn't necessarily a theme park ride in the sense that it was meant to thrill you or scare you - it was meant to inspire you. It just kinda sucked you into this utopian vision of future that left you feeling optimistic and excited for the future. It was heartbreaking to see it go. I still get a lump in my throat when I hear the Horizons music. Lol.

While I loved Horizons, and wish I could ride it again, it would be silly to bring back an attraction that explores an obsolete future. I just wish that what replaced Horizons and the other future world pavilions, had that same visionary spirit. I don't get the same feeling of inspiration from test track or mission space. To me, they feel bit cheesy and patronizing.

I miss the old Epcot Center, especially Horizons, and hope that someday someone in Imagineering can bring the concept back together.

juan

As much as I miss Horizons and the rest of old Epcot Center, I don't think it would do necessarily well in today's Epcot. It seems that nowadays most people are only looking for the next big thrill and not the story. They don't care about the architecture, music, artistry, ambiance, and experience. It's all about "Does this go fast?" and "That ride is lame and boring."

I loved the smell of the Orange Groves... you know what I mean. :)

And the choose your adventure at the end.
I also loved this...
Two other things I loved...
I loved the recreations of early 19th-20th century futureworlds and how silly they seemed... Space capsule shot to the moon using a big cannon... Robot barbers and butlers... Rockabilly alien parties in neon!

I also loved how immersive the ride was and how interconnected the scenes were... Example: A teacher, her students and a seal suiting up for deep sea exploration in an audio-animatronic scene... Later on you have a big screen view of the sea base with the same group swimming through it!

I really loved that ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom