Hoop-dee- doo or spirit of aloha

manatee74

Original Poster
Could someone please tell me if the hoop-dee-doo or spirit of aloha is better for a 5 year old . We have never experienced one of the dinner shows before and are worried that our daughter will lose interest. Last year we saw the Makahiki luau at sea world and she wasn' too impressed. Thank you kindly.:

1976 off site
1980 off site
1984 off site
1987 off site
1997 off site
2001 off site
2002 off site
2004 pop century
2005 pop century
feb 2006 port orleans riverside

1stStarIC2nite

I would definately say Hoop Dee Doo... I myself haven't seen Spirit of Aloha, but I have seen Hoop Dee Doo, and everyone from 2-92 was having a blast! Great food and a hilarious and entertaining show. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to add a little magic to a Disney vacation! :D

ErickainPA

I would have to second Hoop, I have been to Luau and unless they still do character dining, it would not keep a 5 yr old happy. Although, I'm not really sure at 5 she would care for any show, since Hoop doesn't have characters either and the contents of the show will be over a 5 yr olds head. You may want to even consider passing on either show until she is a little older (when we went at Christmas there were no kids under the age of about 8 at the show) Just a thought.

But if you still decide to go, have a good time.

tigsmom

Haven't been to the new Spirit of Aloha show, but our kids like the Hoop Dee Do better than the old show. They loved the BBQ style food, the songs & corny jokes, dancing and getting to play the washboard. They also like wandering around Fort Wilderness and seeing all there was to do. :wave:

WDWRLD

tigsmom said:
Haven't been to the new Spirit of Aloha show, but our kids like the Hoop Dee Do better than the old show.
"The old show". Hoop Dee Doo hasnt changed that I know of. I know as of a year or so ago it was the oldest continious (sp) running dinner show in the country, anyhow, I would say either. My son has been to Luau twice and he is only 5. He has also been to Hoop Dee Do. He loved both for diffrent reasons. The highlight of the Luau is the fire dancer and still talks about him anytime we mention the Polynesian not to even mention the volcano deserts. The hoop Dee Doo is also interactive with the playing of the washboards, napkin waving and the little kids that they bring up on stage. It really depends on the kid I guess.

SallyShine

We went to a luau in Hawaii last spring break and my kids (15, 13, 9) were not very excited. As a matter of fact, my 9 year old fell asleep! We're go to try to Hoop De Do this trip.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Hoop de do, hands down

Spirit of Aloha is OK if you have the spare time...but at others have said, it is generally seen as boring by children. While I enjoyed it, the food is also disputed by some....not too exotic, but not appealling to everyone.

tigsmom

Brian Skinner said:
"The old show". Hoop Dee Doo hasnt changed that I know of. I know as of a year or so ago it was the oldest continious (sp) running dinner show in the country, anyhow, I would say either. My son has been to Luau twice and he is only 5. He has also been to Hoop Dee Do. He loved both for diffrent reasons. The highlight of the Luau is the fire dancer and still talks about him anytime we mention the Polynesian not to even mention the volcano deserts. The hoop Dee Doo is also interactive with the playing of the washboards, napkin waving and the little kids that they bring up on stage. It really depends on the kid I guess.

"Old show" as in the old Luau show....said I hadn't been to the new Spirit of Aloha show. The old Luau was 2 shows...the early one where it catered to kids and they got to dance with the characters and the later show geared to adults. :wave:

Happy-go-Lucky

Speaking of Hoop de do....Is it really $50.00/adult? There are 5 of us in our family (3 kids), which makes it pretty pricey. Is it worth it? If so, we don't mind paying it. We just wanted to make sure first.

tigsmom

Happy-go-Lucky said:
Speaking of Hoop de do....Is it really $50.00/adult? There are 5 of us in our family (3 kids), which makes it pretty pricey. Is it worth it? If so, we don't mind paying it. We just wanted to make sure first.

Yep, thats the price and well worth it IMHO...entertainment and all you care to eat BBQ.([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cost - $50.22 for adults and $25.43 for children 3-9; tax and gratuity included.)[/FONT] If you haven't checked out the description do so now...

Click Here

ErickainPA

Reminder too, if you want to get a "drink" at the show, they offer beer, wine and such, all inclusive. You will have a table to your family, no sharing with others.

tigsmom

ErickainNJ said:
Reminder too, if you want to get a "drink" at the show, they offer beer, wine and such, all inclusive. You will have a table to your family, no sharing with others.

We have had to share the tables upstairs, but not on the main floor.

WDWRLD

Sorry tigsmom, I understand what you mean now in "old Show". As far as the Hoop Dee Doo IMO its definately worth the 50 bucks. Yes its corny but its a classic disney dinner show. In fact its one of , if not the only show that is unchanged since it began years ago.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I've been to the new show. It is OK...kind of a silly premise of a young Polynesian woman getting to understand her roots. Tries to be a little too hip and cool to start with, touches on the importance of respect for elders in the culture, then there is a break for meal. The second half is the more traditional display of dances but it wrapped up with the family theme again.

As I said, I thought it was OK, but not great...that's why they had to go out and get a big name like Rain to be at the show.

SpenceMan01

Hoop Dee Doo! Hoop Dee Doo!

I'm 22, but my fiance says I have the mentality of a 5 year old, does that count for anything? :p

Hoop Dee Doo was fun and the food was very tasty. It was well worth the $50. If you're of age: TRY THE SANGRIA! You might have to ask for it, but it is DEEELICIOUS!! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom