Hollywood studios

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm subscribing to this thread based solely on the unique perspective and insightful commentary. I had no idea anyone had the opinion that the park was a dire mess. That's certainly NEWS to me.

I also didn't know that Bob Iger specifically adds and subtracts attractions from theme parks. He must be a busy guy, between ride selection, the scripts he writes for the studios and ABC, animation cells he has to ink and superheroes he has to make gender selections for.
He has an app on his corporate iPhone 6 plus where every day he goes in and selects what attractions shall be disappeared and which ones stay. In the top right hand corner there is a dollar total that reflects the amount of his bonus for each attraction, show, and CM he does away with.

Disneyhead'71

I'm subscribing to this thread based solely on the unique perspective and insightful commentary. I had no idea anyone had the opinion that the park was a dire mess. That's certainly NEWS to me.

I also didn't know that Bob Iger specifically adds and subtracts attractions from theme parks. He must be a busy guy, between ride selection, the scripts he writes for the studios and ABC, animation cells he has to ink and superheroes he has to make gender selections for.
So you don't think DHS is an absolute mess?

Daniel Johnson

I love these threads... Its like hey, this topic hasn't been rehashed in 12 hours....so...
I kinda feel for the folks who don't connect here, they likely have no clue the park is running at the capacity it is. But, folk who are connected, who knowingly interact on these type of sites shouldn't be shocked how it looks there... One of us was there just a day or two ago and told us about it in an ever evolving thread about said park...

draybook

brock1_zpsvvwgdumh.jpg

JordanNite

Original Poster
Even the ardent Disney supporter can't explain why the rides were closed down, and replaced with nothing if nothing immediately was in the pipeline to replace them. Why not leave them running for a few more years when we had apparents for this supposed new mythological new land being build in the studios (and that too would take a good 6 years to build).

It's almost as if some of you are happy that rides and attractions are being taken away - how strange.

BrianV

Even the ardent Disney supporter can't explain why the rides were closed down, and replaced with nothing if nothing immediately was in the pipeline to replace them. Why not leave them running for a few more years when we had apparents for this supposed new mythological new land being build in the studios (and that too would take a good 6 years to build).

It's almost as if some of you are happy that rides and attractions are being taken away - how strange.

DHS has our families two favorite rides (Star Wars by far, and TSMM). As well as our favorite restaurant (sci fi diner). And favorite playground (honey I shrunk the kids). I believe but cannot prove that it will have more Star Wars attractions at some point. We actually really love the things that are there. (Though we miss the hat!)

The back lot tour was fun. Sad it is gone.

We go for a half day, enjoy what we enjoy and then go to other parks, same as we might at a water park.

Otterhead

I hate to respond to an obvious troll post but..
DHS was started as one specific thing and is evolving into another. When it opened, the star attractions of the park were to see Actual Animators and possibly see Actual Movie Productions. Both of those are long gone, and it's evolving into something new. Iger's said flat out that they're beginning its major rehab, adding Star Wars (and most likely more Pixar), and even rebranding it.

Right now it's not a full day park, but it still has some of my favorite rides/attractions on the entire WDW property. I'm really looking forward to seeing it grow and change.

BrianV

DHS was started as one specific thing and is evolving into another. When it opened, the star attractions of the park were to see Actual Animators and possibly see Actual Movie Productions. Both of those are long gone, and it's evolving into something new. Iger's said flat out that they're beginning its major rehab, adding Star Wars (and most likely more Pixar), and even rebranding it.

Right now it's not a full day park, but it still has some of my favorite rides/attractions on the entire WDW property. I'm really looking forward to seeing it grow and change.

Agree with virtually everything you said!

JordanNite

Original Poster

So you didn't answer my question , just murked around the historical origins of the parks. Why were the rides closed if nothing immediately was planned for that area?

Otterhead

So you didn't answer my question , just murked around the historical origins of the parks. Why were the rides closed if nothing immediately was planned for that area?
Well, I just talked to my ol' pal Bob Iger, and he said it was just to spite you, specifically :)

The Animation Tour was closed because they got rid of 2D animation as a department.
The Backlot Tour has been "nearly closed" for a long time. They're currently converting one of the soundstages it used into another track for Toy Story Mania and the area it was used for is being eyed for the expansions they're talking about.
I don't think Pirates was very popular. It got a lot of poor reviews.
They're converting the Millionaire theatre into a Frozen Sing-Along. The versions of "Millionaire" at other parks closed a long time ago.

Goofyernmost

Seriously, I don't know anyone that is HAPPY about that. In fact, I think it is far worse then all the other garbage that people find to complain about needlessly. It shows a complete Disney lack of understanding about the way people think. Even if one is not thinking about it directly, seeing closed attractions, empty restaurants or random buildings psychologically leaves the impression of a business that is failing, ready for bankruptcy and a going out of business sale. Exactly the same as empty counters in a department store. Of all the things that people complain about the most, that is the thing that they should focus on. But, no... let's worry about a few trees and artificial grass, that is so much more important in spite of being in a place that they are actually upgrading.

The rumor of a make over in DHS, is still just a rumor. Until construction actually happens to a significant degree it is just another, "we cannot support our business anymore maybe you should go elsewhere" message.

Bairstow

So you didn't answer my question , just murked around the historical origins of the parks.

Other people have already answered your question, but I'll reiterate in case you missed it.

Why were the rides closed if nothing immediately was planned for that area?

Because Disney prefers not to spend money when it doesn't have to.
People are still going to pay to get into the Hollywood Studios park, or at least buy combination tickets that include access even with the decreased attraction count, so if Disney can save on operating costs by closing the attractions AND keep their quarterly capital expenditures lower by spacing out the construction of new areas and attractions until Pandoraland is done, then that's what they're going to do.

JordanNite

Original Poster
Other people have already answered your question, but I'll reiterate in case you missed it.

Because Disney prefers not to spend money when it doesn't have to.
People are still going to pay to get into the Hollywood Studios park, or at least buy combination tickets that include access even with the decreased attraction count, so if Disney can save on operating costs by closing the attractions AND keep their quarterly capital expenditures lower by spacing out the construction of new areas and attractions until Pandoraland is done, then that's what they're going to do.

If true that's a damning indicitment of the current regime in charge of Disney. Just shocking.

TXDisney

My least favorite park. My dad's favorite though and we go with my parents for 1/2 of our trips. I only like a few rides there then I'm done. My dad likes all the shows, but they're eliminating most of them which he's upset about.

Daniel Johnson

If true that's a damning indicitment of the current regime in charge of Disney. Just shocking.
I respect your style, you are trying to get known fairy dusters to openly admit the current shape of the park. You obviously don't care about being labeled as a troll, and you don't even acknowledge people saying such.
The thing you are failing to comprehend (or fully understand, you just set fires to see pandemonium from people not sipping from the same punch bowl you. yourself are emptying) is that, most disney fans, see the shuttering of attractions at dhs as a rebuilding process. We know full well that the value of the park is suffering, but, like many other parks, it will be reborn to be an amazing place and will become a lasting cherished memory it has been for many of us in the past. Part of progress is building. I remember going to uni (a place I know you are a fan of, you are the same person who claimed the Simpson's ride to be the most advanced attraction to date...righting off SpiderMan, and minions as old tech...even mocking people who claim small world is a classic in the process...though the simpsons ride orgins date back to the Back to the Future ride, which was a showcase 20+ years ago) during the potter build. It lacked, it was upsetting to not experience the uni parks fully. Seeing construction walls around Springfield really demolished the effect for me....that day. Upon returning, it was great. Potter is a mind blowing experience, the smallest details are done with a fine toothed comb. Krusty burger and duff gardens was fresh and new. It sparkeled. My last trip you could see things starting to show age, but, can you or I expect everything to withstand the amount of hands that are put on it? And to not experience the pretty dated, but wildly entertaining Jurassic Park because of the kong construction was something I wasn't prepared for.
Much like uni has been, dhs will regain the sparkle it once had. The rides will be awe-inspiring, and the detail will be exquisite once again. And then down the road, we will face a fence or gate making way to the next big thing...at all parks, no franchise is excluded from that.

I guess the real question is, why did you go to dhs, knowing the revamp it is currently getting, and expect it to be anything more than what others have said it was? And then you come expecting people to defend it as anything more than what it is...a rebuild. Not really the room to cast that kinda cloud. It will be an amazing park when it's done.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom