Holiday 2008 Trip Report

Hi again, everyone.

It's time for another trip to WDW. And with this trip, it'll break our old "record" of 3 trips in a year, since this will be our 4th trip to WDW this year. But then again, who's counting! :)

We leave for WDW early tomorrow morning. This trip will be a lot of fun. We will be attending MVMCP on the 11th, and then doing the Yuletide Fantasy tour on the 13th. We are also planning on waking up at some ungodly hour on the 13th to do the World of Disney "Doorbuster" for passholders and DVC members. All this, among doing other things and visiting many resorts to look at the various holiday decorations and festivities.

As before, I'll try to file a report on each day, hopefully with pictures.

The next transmission will be from the Most Magical Place on Earth. Cheers!

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Spent the morning at AK. It was our first visit to AK on this trip, after at least a couple of "aborted" attempts (one was due to the nasty weather). It was a lot of fun, and not as busy as we expected.

We went back to the resort after lunch (at Flame Tree BBQ, my favorite place to eat) to rest up a bit. We then head to DHS in the evening since they had the extra magic hours. We were there for the start of the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights. Here are a few pictures from it.

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

We of course, took a lot of video footage of the dancing lights. I will upload them after we get back.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
We had a leisurely, and fun time at Epcot today. Rode Soarin', Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Figment, Maelstorm, and the one at the Mexico pavilion. We also did the "Wine tour", where we sampled wines from Germany, Italy, and France. We did one one from each country, and we have another round to go, which we will save for Wednesday before we head back home. If you like white wine, and a frutty one, I would definitely recommend the Valckenberg Madonna Spatlese. It is very smooth and fruitty, with just a slight sweetness.

We stopped over at the China pavilion in time to hear the storytelling by the Monkey King. It was quite a lot of fun!

Here are a few pictures from today.

IMG_3911.jpg

The Monkey King.
IMG_3919.jpg

There were filming something in front of the Japan pavilion. It wasn't an elaborate set up, but it involves a cast member (or maybe someone playing a cast member), jumping off a trampoline and into the air. So while they were shoot it, I took their picture.
IMG_3930.jpg

Here we are about to go on Figment ride.
IMG_3933.jpg

They are selling these limited edition Figment Holiday plush. I'm not a collector of Figment merchandise, but even I thought this was rather cute, and it will go very well next to the Epcot's 25th anniversary Figment that I got last year. The plush is LE 1200, and each one is numbered. I bought 3 (I know of 2 other big Figment fan who would want this), and the lowest number that I got is 85.
IMG_3942.jpg

We are resting this evening and chilling out around the resort. Probably will walk to downtown disney tonight just to walk around and take more pictures. Our room is barely a 5-minute walk from Downtown Disney, very convenient.

Zz.

diddy_mouse

What a great trip report! :sohappy: Glad you were finally able to make it over to AK after the bad weather. I've found I love that park in the morning, leave just after lunch.

DAKOTADISNEY

Thanks for the great trip reportand pictures! I wish I was there. I noticed the guy in your figment vehicle picture, the one all by himself. He looks like he's sleeping! Is he in your party? I wonder if he had a rough day? Doesn't like the ride?? Stayed up too late last night?? Likes the ride only if his eyes are shut?? I thought it was funny.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Thanks for the great trip reportand pictures! I wish I was there. I noticed the guy in your figment vehicle picture, the one all by himself. He looks like he's sleeping! Is he in your party? I wonder if he had a rough day? Doesn't like the ride?? Stayed up too late last night?? Likes the ride only if his eyes are shut?? I thought it was funny.

Hahahha... I never noticed that before till you mentioned it. No, he wasn't part of our group, so I have no idea if he's tired, or I just happened to take a picture while he was in that position.

Maybe I can use this picture in our weekly photo contest when the theme is "Relaxing". :)

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
On our final full day here at WDW, we spent the morning at DHS, and then hopped on over to AK for the afternoon to watch the Mickey Jingle Jungle Parade.

The morning at DHS was a lot of fun. We did Toy Story Midway Mania three times. By the end of the 3rd round, my wrist and arm were sore! I'm still a Beaver, but I'm slowly improving. I suppose I should start reading and paying attention to all the hints and guides, but it's a lot more fun just to simply go do this without thinking much.

We also went to the animation studios and did our favorite activity - the animation drawing class. Last time we did this during the early part of our current trip, we drew Tigger. This time, we drew someone that none of us had ever done before - Eeyore!! I thought Tigger was difficult, but Eeyore was equally challenge. My picture turned out quite well for my first ever sketch of Eeyore. I'll snap a picture of it after we get back and let you judge. :)

We got to AK with plenty of time to spare before the start of the parade, so we went to Camp Minnie-Mickey and got a lot of terrific photos with various characters - Donald, Chip 'n Dale. They were all dressed for the season.

Mickey Jingle Jungle Parade was wonderful. It is basically Mickey Jammin' Jungle Parade, but with all the parade "floats" and characters embelished with the holiday theme.

OK, so now, I will relate my experience with the newly opened store at Downtown Disney - Design a Tee store. To be clear, the store is still having its soft opening, and still trying to work out all the kinks, which is understandable. In any case, this store, right next to the Art of Disney store in Downtown Disney, lets you design your own tee shirt, and then have it ready to be picked up in a couple of hours. The t-shirts, however, aren't that cheap - $24.95 for an adult short-sleeve, and $29.95 for an adult long-sleeve. You go to a terminal, and you pick your design/color/message/etc. It is rather easy to use.

When you are happy with the design, it will then print a receipt that you bring to the casher and pay the t-shirt. Until you do that, you are not obligated to buy the t-shirt that you've designed. So simply designing a t-shirt doesn't cost you anything.

I designed 2 different t-shirts last night. Not only were the t-shirts of different sizes (medium and x-large), the medium was a long-sleeved shirt, while the x-large was a short-sleeved shirt. I paid for them yesterday and picked up the ready shirts just this evening. One nice they they do is that they give you this very nice cloth bag to put each of your t-shirts in. So that was a nice surprise. But there was another unexpected surprise later on...

Now, I'm lucky that my resort is within an easy walking distance to the Marketplace of Downtown Disney. When I got back to our room at Saratoga Springs, I took out the t-shirts and realized that they messed up the sizes. The medium became an extra large, while the extra large became a double-extra large! So I immediately walked back to the store, and showed them the receipt and the t-shirts. The cast member was very apologetic, and redid my order. After that, my t-shirts were put at the front of the line and I was told that they could be picked up on 20 minutes (usually it takes a minimum of 2 hrs). I told them that I'll pick them up tomorrow morning, there's no hurry, and I was about to go out and have dinner.

So anyway, if you do try out the store, make sure you double check the shirts when you pick them up, especially if you have a multiple order. And make sure you keep your receipt in case something went wrong. The store is still a great idea, and being able to personalize a Disney shirts like that is a lot of fun. And so far, everyone working in that store has been very friendly and helpful. Glitches like this is bound to happen, and that's why this is just a soft opening, I suppose.

We have started packing for our trip home tomorrow. Can't believe the one-week trip is about to end. We will check out early tomorrow, and spend the rest of the day at Epcot. We leave for the airport around 3:00 pm. It will be sad, because after visiting WDW 4 times this year, we are not planning on visiting it again until Sept. next year.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Pictures from last night at Downtown Disney while I went to pick up the t-shirts.

IMG_4229.jpg

This is the Design a Tee store.
IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4266.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

This will be my final transmission from here until I get back home. Will post more after I settle down and sorted through my pictures, and recover from the trip. I will also alert everyone when I have uploaded the videos from various events.

Thanks for reading my trip report!

Zz.

Your accomodations sounds very cool! Thanks for the report and we look forward to seeing the pictures when you get a chance :)
Enjoy!

Hi there, love the pictures...........

We just got back this weekend from Disney 12-13-08.... We were down there from 12-5-08 till the 13th...It was supposed to be the slowest part of the year and we waited over seven months for this honeymoon trip. To our lovely suprise Pop Werner (Cheerleaders) made a lovely suprise visit from the day we got there till we left...:mad: We did as much as we could but obviously it wasn't easy getting on rides or even walking in the streets there. I was a bit annoyed, but heck its Disney so I purked up quickly.
Just wanted to share my pain. Love the pics and have a wonderful holiday.
Tinkerchelli :)

ZapperZ

Original Poster
We are back home. It is such a major shock to leave sunny, 77-degree weather and into a cold, 12-degree weather with wind chill.

Have been unpacking all the stuff that we brought back in our luggage (still have 3 shipments from Disney to arrive, probably after Xmas). Most of the pins have to be sorted out soon since we have our monthly Windy City Pin Traders meet this Saturday.

It was a terrific trip. We spent our last day at Epcot at quite a leisurely pace. Did Soarin', Ellen's Energy Adventure, and Spaceship Earth, although we got stuck on it for like 10 minutes without moving.

I have a lot of pictures to sort through as well, and videos to edit. Will post them here once I get each of them online.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade

Now that most of the holiday festivities are over, I have some time to organize my pictures and catch up on finishing this trip report.

We saw the Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade at DAK, which is a variation to the regular Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade, but loaded with holiday decorations. I know many people do not like the regular parade, but it is one of my favorite. I would say that the level of artistry and creativity of the various elements in the parade is exceedingly high. And because of the narrowness of the paths in DAK, you actually get to be quite close to the parade itself.

So anyway, here are a few pictures from Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade.

IMG_4048.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4094.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

[cont...]

ZapperZ

Original Poster
[...cont]

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

I've finally started to look at all the video footage that we took. Hopefully, I will get to edit them over the week and have them uploaded soon.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
This is the Mickey's Once Upon A Christmastime parade during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at the Magic Kingdom.

This will probably be the last video I upload from this trip. I thought had the Illuminations with the Holiday Tag at the end, but upon viewing the video, it isn't good. Not only did we miss a lot of the fireworks shot very high over the lagoon (they were higher than normal for this show), but some time in the middle of the fireworks, a very tall guy walked right in front of our video camera and blocked a lot of our view. So that kinda ruined the whole thing.

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom