HM rumors DEBUNKED!

scpergj

The 2-faced pop-up ghosts were moved to the graveyard and were used to replace the old pop-ups (most of which were scrapped). The day/night changes were scrapped due to concerns about kids, though many of the affects (the bat audio) are now used for both day and night. All other statements I made were absolutely correct, and these were also correct although they changed and I discussed them as plans for the HM were changed during the refurb project.

Have fun!

Searching....searching...searching...

I'm pretty sure I remember you saying this in an earlier post, too. Hmm...so you wrote something, found out it was to be changed, let us know it was to be changed, but now, since it's changed, someone is 'debunking' you. Wow...didn't know being right would get you debunked, did ya?

Amazing...

Keep it up, Redis, I'll keep reading. I like your posts! If others don't, don't worry about it...it's not your problem.

Kevin

scpergj

Although I have a friend of a neigbour who knows a nephew of a daughter of a shop keeper who knows a driver of a brother of a co-worker of a company who knows someone who is a gardner of a sister of an imagineer, I don't even find my own words credible... lookaroun

Is that something like knowing a bus driver? :D

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
I sincerely apologize that I seemed to single out one particular poster. I should have worded this better. My point was to show how may different rumors about the rehab existed that did not wind up in the finished product, including one directly from Disney!

With that said, and if our "Insider" will accept my apology, I do have questions about the points mentioned above. Namely, why did you not immediately call the troll/prankster on his now-obvious lies, but instead asked if he saw the 2-sided pop-up? (Although you weren't required to police these boards, your question to him suggested you believed he was really there, which anyone familiar with the rehab knew was bogus) Also, the graveyard pop-ups have the same faces as in the 1970's promotional videos, and its not obvious there is another side to them. Are you saying any CM could walk around today and find a more frightning face on the backside, which would conclusively silence any doubts to your credibility?

Again, this is not an attack, but rather a fun re-cap of our last 3 months of rumor-swapping.

ImaYoyo

Good thinking! I'll have to see if the Development Connection is offering another HM Backstage Tour soon to see for myself!
I sincerely apologize that I seemed to single out one particular poster. I should have worded this better. My point was to show how may different rumors about the rehab existed that did not wind up in the finished product, including one directly from Disney!

With that said, and if our "Insider" will accept my apology, I do have questions about the points mentioned above. Namely, why did you not immediately call the troll/prankster on his now-obvious lies, but instead asked if he saw the 2-sided pop-up? (Although you weren't required to police these boards, your question to him suggested you believed he was really there, which anyone familiar with the rehab knew was bogus) Also, the graveyard pop-ups have the same faces as in the 1970's promotional videos, and its not obvious there is another side to them. Are you saying any CM could walk around today and find a more frightning face on the backside, which would conclusively silence any doubts to your credibility?

Again, this is not an attack, but rather a fun re-cap of our last 3 months of rumor-swapping.

Nemo14

Although I have a friend of a neigbour who knows a nephew of a daughter of a shop keeper who knows a driver of a brother of a co-worker of a company who knows someone who is a gardner of a sister of an imagineer, I don't even find my own words credible... lookaroun
I believe you! :lookaroun

Eyorefan

If that is the case, it think you could have given the thread a different title, like, "HM rumers revisited" or something.

scpergj

I wasn't necessarily going after you...you had some real questions...but there were several that came after you that seemed to like piling on. I was more reacting to the entire beginning of the thread, not you in particular. I apologize for not making that clear in my posting.

Now, as for your questions, they are interesting....wish I had an answer. I'll be there in a month...maybe I'll find out then!!

Kevin

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

The issue with the Disney comments about the bats is all about how you read it. Disney make no mention of them being PHYSICAL effects. People (wrongly) asummed that the talk of bats would mean something moving, when all along the Disney release was talking about the audio effect.
Its very much like the Mission: SPACE weightless effect. Disney made press releases about experiencing a "weightless effect", and people imemdiately started thinking they were going to be floating around the pod.

It's been an interesting time as always when a new project opens. Despite all the misinformation, wrong information, correct information - the final product came out wonderfully, and that's the main thing in all of this. We have a great new Mansion to enjoy. :)

Enderikari

Direct quote from somebody who really does know what's going on (no, i am not going to name names)

"90% of everything you read on the internet (concerning Disney) is schlock."

Chezman1399

I thought someone said that on here a month ago with the day and night ghosts. The whole changing from day and night was said to have been planned, but wasn't working the way they had hoped or was deemed too much for children. But that was said around these parts almost a month ago, so we knew it wasn't going to happen, I believe the original posters all agreed to that so why is that particular one even on there?

ladyofthecastle

Without naming names, its reckoning time for all those "insiders", cast members, and "well-connected" folks who spread false rumors about the Haunted Mansion rehab.

The top prize goes to a popular (but often unreliable) website that reported the rehab would only be "lights and audio upgrades", citing major budget cuts. A few individuals also claimed to know this first-hand. Their comments ignited a "Disney is cheap!" riot. Whoops!

Remember all those rumors back in the Spring about a gift shop
and an on-ride photo booth?

(Like many rumors, perhaps some ideas were once a real possibility. But the final budget and specifics of this refurb were locked in LONG before the false rumors surfaced.)

We still haven't seen that cage of live bats in the queue!

An "in-the-know" cast member claimed that the bride's name was going to be "Emily".

Another "insider" said the bride would be a full-blown "Jack Sparrow"-type animatronic.

Another big-named "insider" claimed that the ride would be different at night, including attic pop-up ghosts that would alternate between scary and funny faces. The insider later said the plans were scrapped at the last-minute, and that the new 2-faced pop-ups were moved to the graveyard, even though the old ones are still there, and even though a day/night change would likely require a huge marketing campaign, not to mention numerous other day/night effects to be worthwhile (another point about that insider: if I recall correctly since the original post has been removed, when a troll/prankster posted a completely fake "preview" report, the insider never disputed the false report, and in fact asked if the poster had seen the 2-sided pop-up heads!)

The moral of this story would probably be: remain skeptical unless you hear it from Disney.

But what about that Disney website article quoting an Imagineer who talks about "bringing the gargoyles to life"? That has to be the most bizarre "false rumor" yet.

Of course, for every false rumor, there was a reliable insider who had very real knowledge of what was going on. Look for those people the next time you read something about a "5th gate" or a new E-Ticket.

Oh Snap Crackle AND POP! (I know this is extremely old, but who cares? :wave:)

Tim G

It's been an interesting time as always when a new project opens. Despite all the misinformation, wrong information, correct information - the final product came out wonderfully, and that's the main thing in all of this. We have a great new Mansion to enjoy. :)
I still remember the debate of the Everest big drop, as if it was yesterday... :D

Buried20KLeague

I thought someone said that on here a month ago with the day and night ghosts. The whole changing from day and night was said to have been planned, but wasn't working the way they had hoped or was deemed too much for children. But that was said around these parts almost a month ago, so we knew it wasn't going to happen, I believe the original posters all agreed to that so why is that particular one even on there?

I'm sorry, but I don't believe there was ever any truth to two different versions of the HM. Not a bit. I'm not bashing you, either, by the way... Just the idea that it was ever on the table as a possibility.

And if it ever DID come up as a possibility, there was no way it got far enough for us to hear about it before someone said "wait a tic... we might scare the kids!!!!" :rolleyes:

The logistics alone would have basically made it impossible. Don't forget, during its massive re-build in 04-05, Disneyland planned for and built two different versions for their Space Mountain. Even put up a sign that had both versions built into it... But it was quickly figured out that there wasn't any easy way to make it work, and it was completely mothballed with the exception of a couple grad nights. And that was just a coaster. Nothing nearly as involved as the HM.

I also find it curious that this exact same rumor was floated around during Pirates' major refurb. "Scarier at night!" some said. HA! There was even some copy that came out supposedly from Disney that referenced that fact. That turned out to be complete poppycock, and on top of that the person that designed that copy fessed up to it on another Disney fan site. Interesting to me that the same exact rumor came up from those "in the know" about the Mansion.

Those that say they're "in the know", yet suggested two different versions of our Mansion lost a good amount of cred in my eyes when they said that.

And since then, I've seen all KINDS of backpedaling on earlier predictions by a handful as well. Of COURSE they've posted to say "things have changed, they're not doing this or that anymore". What else would they do?

People on here know some HM Butlers, I'm sure. I'd be interested to see what they find if they look on the back of the pop-up heads. The pop-up heads that have the same face on them as 30 years ago. My guess? They'd see the same thing they've always seen for 30 years. :lol:

But just take my post with a grain of salt. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom