Help w/ 7 maybe 8 adults

Disneysue

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I have looooooked :lookaroun and looooooooooked :lookaroun and I could not find a thread that related to my issue. I am planning a trip for 7-8 adults in Feb 2009, YES Im thinking that far ahead..........NERD ALERT! Anyway, the ages are 18 (youngest) to 67 (oldest) and 4 ladies:ROFLOL: and 2 or 3 men:ROFLOL:This will be everyones first time except mine. I went Feb of this year to Beach Club. So my questions are as follows:

#1) What is the REAL difference between Moderate & Deluxe besides square footage? If its just sqft, then we go Moderate, if the beds are better at Deluxe, then we go Deluxe.

#2) Are the Villas worth the $$$? Are they too isolated to take advantage of the DDP?

#3) Everyone LOVES the idea of the DDP, if we stay at Fort Wilderness cabins..........should we 86 the DDP?

#4) How isolated is Fort Wilderness? Are the cabins as small as they appear online or bigger than they appear? How is the transportation to/from everything @ Fort Wilderness? Is there a pool?

#5) Does Wilderness Lodge have a "quiet pool"?

#6) Is the fireworks cruise available in February? Is it worth it?

#7) Can you get double sinks in rooms at Moderate & Deluxe?

Since it dumped my first post that like 10 questions, and I cant think of what they were now, I'll stop here. Thanks everyone!

GrowingUpDisney

I have looooooked :lookaroun and looooooooooked :lookaroun and I could not find a thread that related to my issue. I am planning a trip for 7-8 adults in Feb 2009, YES Im thinking that far ahead..........NERD ALERT! Anyway, the ages are 18 (youngest) to 67 (oldest) and 4 ladies:ROFLOL: and 2 or 3 men:ROFLOL:This will be everyones first time except mine. I went Feb of this year to Beach Club. So my questions are as follows:

#1) What is the REAL difference between Moderate & Deluxe besides square footage? If its just sqft, then we go Moderate, if the beds are better at Deluxe, then we go Deluxe.

#2) Are the Villas worth the $$$? Are they too isolated to take advantage of the DDP?

#3) Everyone LOVES the idea of the DDP, if we stay at Fort Wilderness cabins..........should we 86 the DDP?

#4) How isolated is Fort Wilderness? Are the cabins as small as they appear online or bigger than they appear? How is the transportation to/from everything @ Fort Wilderness? Is there a pool?

Since it dumped my first post that like 10 questions, and I cant think of what they were now, I'll stop here. Thanks everyone!

Hi Disney Sue!!!

WOW you are brave to plan a trip for 8 adults. Hopefully I can help with a few questions.

1 & 7) Moderate rooms are a bit smaller and do not have double sinks. However, not all deluxe rooms have double sinks either. (we stayed a poly last year and only had 1 sink) In general, the moderates have doors that open to the outside and deluxe resorts have inside corridors. The Deluxe offer a few more amenities I believe. (It has been a while since I stayed at a moderate.)

2) We are Disney Vacation Club members and stay in Villas every time we go. In my opinion, they are absolutely worth the $$. You could actually get a 2 bedroom villa and all 8 people could stay together. You would have a full kitchen as well as two bathrooms. This type of accomodations would provide plenty of space for 8 adults. The villas are not as isolated as they may seem. We never feel isolated.

3) We have never had the DDP, but we never have any problem eating all over the place. I think your dining options are just as open no matter where you stay.

4) I can't help with this one except to say that I don't feel that Fort Wilderness is isolated, but you may have the extra expense of renting an electric cart for getting around Fort Wilderness.

5) Yes there is a quite pool at Wilderness lodge.

6) I believe they do the cruises all year long.

Hope some of that is helpful. I hope you have a great trip!!

Niki

Tinkerbella16

1 & 7) Moderate rooms are a bit smaller and do not have double sinks. However, not all deluxe rooms have double sinks either. (we stayed a poly last year and only had 1 sink) In general, the moderates have doors that open to the outside and deluxe resorts have inside corridors. The Deluxe offer a few more amenities I believe. (It has been a while since I stayed at a moderate.)

We will be staying at POR this year (which is moderate). I looked at a bunch of photos on allears.net and those rooms happen to have double sinks..which I though was pretty cool. And I'd rather have my door open to the outside, rather than inside. But the deluxe resort rooms have their own little patio, which would also be very nice. I've seen pictures of all the deluxe room beds...they seem veryyy big & comfy!! Can anyone who has slept on one at any of the deluxe resorts, tell me if they are as comfy as they look?

Disneysue

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
We will be staying at POR this year (which is moderate). I looked at a bunch of photos on allears.net and those rooms happen to have double sinks..which I though was pretty cool. And I'd rather have my door open to the outside, rather than inside. But the deluxe resort rooms have their own little patio, which would also be very nice. I've seen pictures of all the deluxe room beds...they seem veryyy big & comfy!! Can anyone who has slept on one at any of the deluxe resorts, tell me if they are as comfy as they look?

The only resort that I've stayed at (Because I've only been there once) is Beach Club, and the beds are VERY COMFY! My friend spend half of our tip in bed sick, and she agrees!

DisneyJoe

Deluxes have more sqft, yes, although AKL and WL rooms are very close in size to the moderates.

The inside (deluxe) and outside (moderate/value) hallways have been mentioned.

Moderates have double beds, all Deluxes have queen beds.

You can pay for a king bed at a moderate as it is a separate room category, at a deluxe it is only a request.

Moderates have a food court and 1 sit down restaurant, deluxes have a quick service location for food and 2 sit down restaurants, 1 is more formal than the other.

Concierge rooms and service are available in a deluxe resort.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
1) Well there is the obvious differences in amenities and theming at the deluxes. There is a slight to moderate increase in square footage increase depending on which Deluxe resort you go to, the Contemporary and the Poly have the largest standard rooms on property. Also I believe that the Deluxe resorts will have queen sizes beds as far as comfort goes it is pretty much the same but that is a matter of opinion.

2)????

3)If they like the idea of the DDP then get it. It is a good way fix your meal expenditures. For me it is simply too much food. I would much rather go where I want and order what I will normally eat vs eating everything I can to try and make my money back.

4,) Ft Wilderness is actually pretty cool. There is a pool and it is not isolated at all. I have not been inside the cabins but from the outside they do not look huge but are far from tiny. I wouldn't try to stick 8 adults in one but 4 would be quite comfortable. Having a golf cart at Ft Wilderness is definitely a plus but not a necessity. We got around just fine with the internal bus system.

5)????

6) Should be. I have not done it myself but I have heard both ways on the fireworks cruise. Some say it is great others say it was a big let down.

7) If I am not mistaken all of the deluxe and moderate rooms have double sinks. I have stayed in all the moderates and all but 2 of the deluxe resorts (WL and GF) and can not recall a time that we did not have a double sink.

Here is a couple of questions so I might be able to help you out a little more.
1. What are the sleeping arrangements going to be like. Does everyone want their own bed, do you plan on doubling up etc?

2. What is your budget like? Is the sky the limit or do you need to bring this trip in at a reasonable price?

3. What do you want out of your room? Just a place to sleep and shower or a place to hang out.

4. What do you want out of your resort? A lobby and a food court or theming, activities, view, etc?

danipooh

Here's what I can add from my experience...

I've stayed at one moderate, POFQ, and they do have double sinks.

I stayed at GF and the bed there was the most comfortable bed I've had at a hotel.

I'm not a DVC member, but I've been on the tour and if I had 8 adults together I would definitely consider a villa. They're more like a condo where everyone can stay together but still have plenty of their own space.

That's all I got! :)

beanbunny

I can only help you with Fort Wilderness - with so many adults, I would avoid it at all costs. We stayed in the cabins a few years ago - 2 adults, plus a 20 year old, 18 year old and 15 year old. While the cabins were lovely, the bunk bed was tiny & clostrophobic - and my sons are used to sleeping in bunk beds. On top of that, the bus system was a nightmare - not enough buses ran and they dropped you off at the TTC instead of the front gate at Magic Kingdom. Fortunately, it was one of the few times we drove so we stopped using the buses altogether. We often go with 8 adults now - my parents - 89 years old, my 3 adult "kids", my son's fiancee and my husband & myself - we prefer CBR. 2 rooms are plenty big enough! Good luck!:wave:

pinkrose

All of the mods do have double sinks. The beds are doubles though or you can book a king room (king size bed).

The deluxes have queen beds or 1 king bed.

DisneyJoe

DVC Villas are always associated with a Deluxe resort, so you would be using the dining facilities of the deluxe resort. While they are always slightly removed from the main resort, I don't know of any that I would call "isolated".

The DDP can be used many places on property, not just at your resort.

The pool at the Villas of the Wilderness Lodge is considered the quiet pool.

Disneysue

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Helpfull as usual

:D Thank you guys for being so helpfull as usual. To answer some the questions posed at me:

1. What are the sleeping arrangements going to be like. Does everyone want their own bed, do you plan on doubling up etc?

Most likely there will be doubling up. I cant imagine the number of rooms we'd need if we didnt double up!

2. What is your budget like? Is the sky the limit or do you need to bring this trip in at a reasonable price?

Sky is not the limit, but we are not going el-cheapo either.

3. What do you want out of your room? Just a place to sleep and shower or a place to hang out.

A place to hang out. I dont want a cement slab for a bed and some loudly painted walls.

4. What do you want out of your resort? A lobby and a food court or theming, activities, view, etc?

I would like a view, theming and some ammenities, but Im not looking for the Grand Floridian either.

I hope this helps! Keep the tips comming your helping me a TON!

Lindsy1052

The moderate resorts have double beds the deluxe have queen beds. The deluxe resorts are closer to the parks. The villas are spectacular. They are spacious and will accomodate all of you. Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas and Wilderness Lodge Villas are all close to parks. As you are on vacation, even with a full kitchen in the villas if they are still offering the DDP you cannot go wrong with it. With 8 Adults you will save a whole bunch of money on the dine plan. Plus all gratuities are included. Use the villas for maybe breakfast and late night snacks, but don't make any of the ladies cook and clean the kitchen, it's their vacation too.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
If you want to run some numbers with this years pricing, give me a shout. We can figure out the most economical way to do this and get everything you want.

BTW, I hear that the gratuity will not be included in the dining options as of the 2008 packages.

Pam
pam@kingdomkonsultant.com

Disneysue

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
If you want to run some numbers with this years pricing, give me a shout. We can figure out the most economical way to do this and get everything you want.

BTW, I hear that the gratuity will not be included in the dining options as of the 2008 packages.

Pam

I used the DDP when I went this past Feb and still padded the tip. Its perfectly fine with me to leave a tip, I feel weird not leaving anything. I will be emailing you get numbers. Thanks!

Lindsy1052

Pam

I can't imagine they would take the gratuities out. The Europeans & Canadians do not tip, because tips are always included in their restaurants so they don't know to tip here. That was one of the reasons for it always being included. Will be interesting to see what happens, but I feel really sorry for the staff if they do that, because those kids make NO money. They rely on tips to live.

Teenchy

I have done large groups of adults for Disney trips, plus planned alot of activites for a mixed age adult crowd (See link in my signature about our wedding)

I would highly recommend the Villlas. And with 8 adults, if you can swing the cost a Grand Villa (Sleeps 12) but with 8 you would be VERY comfortable. It also gives you a full kitchen, dining area and family room. You can "hang out" and talk about your day ahead or what fun you had after a long day. You can "play games" watch a movie or even order some food in one night. You will feel more like your staying in someones home than just in seperate hotel rooms.

I would also suggest to do a fireworks cruise as long as its not too cold as its another way to have a unique group experience.

Keep in mind also that although your group was much smaller than my "wedding group" I have found that once you get a group larger than 6 and different ages its hard to keep everyone together and happy throughout the parks. It can be easier sometimes to let small groups break off and do "their thing" and then have a set time to meet for lunch, etc. Or to meet at a show at a specific time.

scole3388

I can't respond to all your questions, but ...

Hi, Disney Sue - I applaud you for planning so far ahead. For those of us who are Disney Fan-atics, planning is half the fun of the trip.

We are DVC members and OKW is our home resort. I would highly recommend you considering a 2-bedroom unit there. There's plenty of bathroom space, and, even w/ the dining plan, you'll have space to easily prepare snacks, have cold drinks, etc.

We have stayed in the cabins at Ft. Wilderness and they are wonderful. BUT, in your situation, I would not recommend staying there. The cabins only have one bathroom and are "cozy."

The quiet pool at the Wilderness Villas is lovely, plus you have access to the even "lovlier" resort pool should you choose to use. it. That's actually my favorite DVC resort of all.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. Let us know how you're doing!:xmas: (We're going to OKW between Christmas and New Year's!)

Disneysue

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Whats a Grand Villa? That sounds good. We all have cell phones, so Im not worried about treking all over the park with a huge group of 8, if it happens, okay, if not thats okay too.

And just to let everyone know, NO I dont plan on cooking or making anyone else cook. Its a vacation for cryin in the mud. Do the villas have maid service? Do the resorts that have villas all offer Grand Villas?

lilclerk

Whats a Grand Villa? That sounds good. We all have cell phones, so Im not worried about treking all over the park with a huge group of 8, if it happens, okay, if not thats okay too.

And just to let everyone know, NO I dont plan on cooking or making anyone else cook. Its a vacation for cryin in the mud. Do the villas have maid service? Do the resorts that have villas all offer Grand Villas?

Here's a fact sheet for the Boardwalk's Villas, including Grand Villas. You can find similar information there for all the resorts.
http://allearsnet.com/acc/faq_bwv.htm
It says:
"Grand Villa: The average Grand Villa is 2,142 square feet. This is a three bedroom, three bath Villa, that has a master bedroom which includes a king-sized bed and private whirlpool tub, two other bedrooms which each include two queen-sized beds and a private bathroom, a living room area that has a queen-sized sleeper sofa, fully equipped kitchen, dining room, full-sized washer and dryer and a private balcony. There are both one- and two-story Grand Villas at the Boardwalk. Per Disney, this Grand Villa will accommodate 'twelve adults maximum, plus one child under the age of three in a crib'."

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Since you are not a DVC member and would be paying cash for the room, the Grand Villa would come with daily housekeeping.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that only Boardwalk, Old Key West, and Saratoga Springs resorts have Grand Villas.

I know for a fact that Beach Club does not, and since Wilderness Lodge Villas is built similarly to Beach Club Villas (i.e., it was added on to an existing resort and has a smaller # of rooms than the other DVC resorts), I assume that it does not have a Grand Villa either, but I could be completely wrong about that.

The GVs at OKW and SSR are both two stories with master bedroom on the first floor and two bedrooms (and baths) upstairs. The Boardwalk Grand Villa is all one level and looks out over the boardwalk and the water, and is beautifully decorated. They all are, of course, but I was particularly impressed with the BW GV. I've only toured them, never stayed in one.

Sounds like a fun vacation!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom